Help me choose my graphics?

Started by Zexion, November 05, 2013, 07:37:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Zexion

Okay, so for my latest project, I'm not sure what I want to do with the graphics. I'm stuck between two styles.

2k3 Style: ShowHide

What I like about this style is that it is very reminiscent of old rpg games from the snes era. I feel that the doubled pixel size kinda gives the graphics a vintage feel that is more inviting that newer styles.

Recolored RMXP: ShowHide

This one is obviously a lot higher resolution. What I don't like about this one though is that it can be difficult to make things look nice with such a large number of pixels. I have a hard time fitting a ton of detail into a 32x32 tile, and then I have to be extremely careful when making autotiles.

I like both, but I'm stuck between these two style for my rpg game...

R.A.V.S.O

Hmm I'd go for 2k3's....

tbh what I'd do would be attempt to find 2k3 graphics converted for XP use (I really like XP)
but I dunno about you, but 2k3 does have a more old-school feel to it.
Personality Test results
Spoiler: ShowHide

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

Zexion

Actually I found a third style that seems to combine the feel of both o.o

R.A.V.S.O

those look like smoothed out XP tilesets.... sorta....

still they look pretty good.
Personality Test results

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

KK20

Whatever gets your game into my hands the fastest. Seriously. I still haven't gotten the chance to play ANY PROJECT OF YOURS.
It mainly depends on the scenario of your game. What kind of "feel" are you going for?

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Zexion

Actually @KK20 I had put out the intro to my first Kingdom Hearts project a loooooooong time ago lol (like 2-3 years). It's only about 5 minutes long, if even that haha but it's something. It has one small little battle in it too :P

@R.A.V.S.O
What I like is the taller charset o.o idk I think I decided in the middle of the night last night. I'm going to be going with the original style I had. Which was....

Heretic86

There are things I like and dont like about both.

I like the detail in 2k3
I dont like the lack of detail in XP, but I do prefer the style of graphics in XP in general over 2k3.
I also dont really care for the use of VX graphics in XP as the style seems to somehow clash.

If you made something in XP with the level of detail that you used in your 2k3 screenshots, I would like that very much.

I believe what Im trying to say is that which ever style you end up using, the more detail it has, the more I like it, as long as the style is consistent.  Thus, mixing 2k3 and VX graphics would show a greater clash of styles, but for technical reasons.  Go for detail and style consistency is the only thing I can really say.
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Zexion

Actually, the tiles in the xp screenshot are all default rmxp rtp, but I recolored them and stuff haha. Also, RMXP actually has a whole lot of detail. The problem is that rmxp sprites have too much space, which makes it very difficult to make nice tiles (at least for me). What about the graphics I made? What do you think of those?

Heretic86

November 07, 2013, 05:57:08 pm #8 Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 06:01:52 pm by Heretic86
I know I see some VX graphics in your XP pic.  Chibi Sprites are a dead giveaway.  The round bush I also recognize from VX while the trees at the bottom of the screen are XP and a recolor of XP.  Those trees look quite nice.

For me in XP, I appreciate the extra space as it makes the world feel less like a box and more like a natural enviornment.  Filling in that space between is a true pain in the ass.  Its where I use Detail Tiles.  Like Dirt, Leaves, Sticks, Logs, etc.  But without those details, the world feels like its the right size, but somehow 'naked'.  I know I can make some great interiors and caves just using the default tilesets, but the outdoor stuff, I struggle with to fill in that extra space.  So for me, what I do is to use Custom Tilesets.  Mostly just mergers, but they help make the details available so I can fill in the blanks and make it feel natural.  I havent ever touched 2k3 but those tiles look detailed enough that I'd be happy with them, which is actually unusual for me.

I can give you an example for XP of what I think helps to fill in those "too much space" areas using Custom Tilesets.  Its the Once More, With Feeling Demo in my sig.  There are two parts to the demo.  Both start off using Merged Outdoor Tilesets.  Lightgeist Mountain is was my first attempt complete difficult dungeon, intended more for closer to end of game.  The Mountain uses the same exact tileset as the Forest part of the demo, just rearranged differently and using different tiles.  The Caves in the Mountain part of the Demo actually just use the Default Tilesets, but I use the Cave Wall tiles excessively to create that feel of detail that I like.  It seems to work well for what I want to achieve because it helps to fill in that huge area of "too much space" in caves, but uses very few different tiles.  The trick there is just to use the Cave Wall tiles to create cracks all over the place that helps to fill in that empty space.

Caves can usually be slammed out in an hour or two.  Outdoor maps for me with all that detail typically take me a couple of days because filling in all that extra space is very time consuming.  There is a balance between the two.  My intent when creating maps is to knock your socks off, so time for me isnt an issue.  But for making a game and getting it out, all that time spent creates a problem because that game will probably never get released if too much time is spent on outdoor maps.  You can try out the demo just to examine a way to do details.  There is very little story.  Its just supposed to be a tour de force for the visuals and mapping technique for XP, so if you take a crack at it, examine the details as opposed to other aspects of the gameplay.  Its quite old, but my style there hasnt changed at all, as far as visuals and filling in all those pesky "too much space" spots.

Im not saying you have to or should use "my style" because it has some very serious drawbacks.  Chaos Project hosts just 3 Pages of peoples Projects, yet 16 Pages of Scripts for XP alone.  Its obvious which type of project people can complete.  Scripts arent full games.  They could be compared to single maps, instead of multiple maps that any game would need to be finished.  Too much work and your project will never be completed.  Too little detail and people will criticize your ability to make maps that look half way decent.

There is a lot of negative criticism for RPG Maker games on the internet.  When I make my maps, I try to push RMXP as far as I can so people say "Wow!  This was made using RMXP!  I want to use RMXP too!".  I want people that just play RMXP games to not have such a negative opinion of games that are made in RMXP.  The goal it to make each player understand that it is up to the person creating the game to create a good game as opposed to expressing a negative opinion of it because of the tools it was made with.  For example, the Unreal Engine has been used to create some truly awesome games, and some truly piss poor games.  Final Fantasy 13 was made using the Unreal Engine.  Its graphically a masterpiece and the gameplay fun, but the story for the game felt like a giant "get from here to there" quest with the necessary ingredients of lettuce and tomato added in because they are required, not because there was a genuine need to put there, but because characters that players can relate with are typically required.  The use of Hope as the character that the players were supposed to relate the most with was a piss poor decision.  I think players would have enjoyed another Cloud type character.  Get here to there, enjoy the scenery, and go back and forth between required story ingredients and killing stuff.

Ultimately, its your project.  We'd all love to see you be able to release a project.  You will know better than anyone else what you can accomplish with the tools you have.  We don't know how much time you have to spend on your project so we cant say "use 2k3 over XP".  If you have time, go with XP and a good Custom Tileset and Merger.  If you don't want to spend as much time, use 2k3 because it appears that you can achieve a high level of detail in much less time.  I understand exactly what you're saying about "too much space" in regards to visual styles, but as was the case with FF13, a game isnt always about the visuals, as 2k3 has its drawbacks too.  But after thinking hard about this (obviously) 2k3 may be the way to go so you dont bite off more than you can chew.
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Zexion

The sprites aren't chibi, it's just that some of their legs are not recolored, so they blend in to the ground. (The girl sprites) The round bush and actually the entire tileset is just taken from an ultimate rmxp tileset, so yeah there might be some vx tiles, but I don't really think so.  I did recolor everything in the pic, so maybe I recolored them to VX style o.o

I really liked your post though. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who finds 32x32 a pain in the ass to fill, lol! I've actually already played your demo, and I remember being really impressed with your maps. (and even more so, with your eventing.) The thing is, I don't really have a big problem mapping the xp one was just a test map haha, but more a problem deciding on a visual style.

For me, the whole rpg maker game making process is funnest in two area's: Pixel-Art, and Eventing. I love pixel art and I'm constantly trying to get better at it. Part of the reason my games are never released is because I spend so much time redoing the stuff I've already done. I do that because I love the process, and if it makes it better, then why not? :P This is my fault because the obvious answer to that would be that I will never release a game at that rate.

With so many different art styles, it can almost be a pain in the ass to even choose one. I personally prefer Rm2k3 over anything else, but at the same time, I don't want to have to design my HUDs/Menus/etc. with such a retro look. Which is really why I keep attempting to make my own haha. A lot of the reason I can't decide is because I'm heavily inspired in this project by another rpg maker game. It's a 2k3 game which is why I feel like that should be my choice, but at the same time I think I can pull the same effect with my graphics as well. XP graphics just don't do it for me because they are so dull and the colors are very boring.

I made this topic as sort of a way to force myself to stick to a style, but what it has actually become is inspiration to keep on with mah graphics.