[XP] Question about Audio, RMXP, and OGG files.

Started by PhoenixFire, November 09, 2013, 08:56:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PhoenixFire

Hello everyone, I have a simple question, and although I searched, I didn't find the answer. The question is about audio playback in RMXP; Is there a maximum length that RMXP won't accept .ogg files to be over, in order to play them? I ask because I have several songs that I downloaded that I was able to import into the resources, but it won't play? I tried in both .mp3 and .ogg formats, and even went as far as to re-install the k-lite codec back on my computer.. Game plays the default RTP music and sounds fine, but not my custom ones.. Thoughts?
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

ForeverZer0

I imagine it has something to do with how it is you are encoding them.
If I remember correctly, RMXP uses DirectSound, so your installing K-Lite or any other codecs will not have an affect on RMXP.

What are you using to create the .OGG with?
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Heretic86

This is from the XP Help File:

QuoteHere are the special features of each file format:

MID - MIDI files played via the DirectMusic Synthesizer. If a BGM MIDI file contains the control change value 111, that value is recognized as where the song will start repeating after it reaches the end.

OGG - Files containing compressed Ogg Vorbis data, known for its sound quality and compression rate. However, since RPG Maker XP doesn't support OGG streaming, the entire file must be loaded before it can be played, making it unsuitable for longer pieces.

WMA - Compressed Windows Media Player sound files, played via DirectShow. Unlike the OGG format, streaming (loading data while playing it in real time) is supported, so it's good for longer-playing songs.

MP3 - An extremely popular compressed sound format, played via DirectShow. It has the same special traits as the WMA format.

WAV - The standard Windows sound format. RPG Maker XP can process both standard uncompressed WAVs and Microsoft ADPCM files.

If you are having trouble with ANY kind of file, try changing the Bitrate at which the file is compressed using Audacity.  Certain bitrates don't play back so not all bitrates are supported.  I've run into this trouble when using sounds off of FlashKit.com where some files play back outside of RMXP but aren't played at all in RMXP.  Reencoding and changing the Bitrate typically fixes this.  44k Stereo should work just fine when changing bitrates.
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

WhiteRose

I also remember that I had trouble earlier with RMXP not being able to play any audio files with embedded album art. I have no idea why, but once I took out the album art, they all worked perfectly. A bit odd. Haha. If you need a tool to get rid of it for you, MP3tag is free and does the trick.

PhoenixFire

@F0 - I actually downloaded them from a royalty-free website, and transcoded them from .mp3 to .ogg

I think I'll try to convert them to .wma files and see if those work. If not, I'll try actually editing the bitrate and see what happens. If all else fails, I'll try new music. Thanks, all of you though.

@Heretic - seriously, I searched the help file and somehow missed that completely lmao...
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Heretic86

Quote from: WhiteRose on November 09, 2013, 06:50:46 pm
I also remember that I had trouble earlier with RMXP not being able to play any audio files with embedded album art. I have no idea why, but once I took out the album art, they all worked perfectly. A bit odd. Haha. If you need a tool to get rid of it for you, MP3tag is free and does the trick.

Did you know you can hide full .zip files inside of .jpegs?  Most of the time, they'll show up just as pictures and the extra data doesnt even affect the image itself?  I wonder if those image embedded mp3's actually change the way the audio file plays back?

@DigitalSoul - I'd probably just stick with mp3 if possible, but yeah, try converting the bitrate as that seems to be an undocumented drawback...
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

PhoenixFire

Found a whole new slew of audio from a new site (posted the site on the resource link thread too  =p   )  and I think I'll just go with the new files instead. Thank you guys for the input, and although it didn't solve the issue for me, hopefully this helps out someone else with similar issues.

ForeverZer0

You never answered how you were encoding the OGG files.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

PhoenixFire

Oh, in all honesty, I just used the defaults for the program I was testing it with... At the time I didn't pay much attention to it as I was just trying to get them to play in general. Had it worked, I would have re-done it and tweaked it to exactly how I wanted.

ForeverZer0

I just mention it because it is likely the source of the files not playing, and using another program, or different settings would probably fix the issue. I didn't know if the new resources you found were exactly what you wanted, or a compromise because you couldn't get the others to work.