[FULL] Nightmare Johnny

Started by Red-Cube, November 11, 2013, 08:53:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Red-Cube

Nightmare Johnny

Hey everyone,

This is just a short hack 'n slay game in a retro-like style. There isn't that much story but a hell of a lot gameplay. Hope the difficulty isn't "too much to take". So if you're a fan of the old NES/SNES sidescrollers like Castlevania or Illusion of Gaia, this might be of interest.

Story:
Actually Johnny lived a normal live until a terrible fire took his mother away. From there on Johnnies little world grew dark, lost in despair and haunted by nightmares. However one night he decided to fight the pain find his mother. A great journey into the darkest depths of his dreams begins,...

The game contains travels in a dream like setting and monstrous hordes of enemies to fight.

Screenshots:

Spoiler: ShowHide

Trailer:
Special thanks to Clades!

DOWNLOOOOOOAD:
http://www.dateiupload.net/download.php?file=225717dcd54e1d6781604598152b207c

ThankZ for reading! ;)

Zexion

Looks pretty sweet. Will definitely try it out when I get the chance :)

Blizzard

This looks pretty interesting. How many hours of gameplay does it have?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Red-Cube

Actually it's pretty short. just about 1 1/2 hours.

Zexion

Pretty cool, but when I kill the little zombie monster things with mah pillow, wherever they die becomes impassable

Blizzard

I prefer it short since I'm usually short on time, lol! I might check it out one day when I find some time.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Red-Cube

Really? Me too, but only if it sucks! :)
Anything else has to keep me entertained for days!

Quote from: Zexion on November 11, 2013, 02:34:13 pm
Pretty cool, but when I kill the little zombie monster things with mah pillow, wherever they die becomes impassable
Strange... actually none of them should have a "same layer as hero" page if the variables are full.
Please be a little specific. The skinless, the ones without faces... 
And in which level did the bug occured?

Zexion

It should be the very first ones you see in the game. It was just a bit after I left the house maybe on the third map? The map with a bridge on it. I noticed it because I couldn't pass the bridge at one point unless I jumped :P

Red-Cube

November 12, 2013, 06:54:59 am #8 Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:56:58 am by Red-Cube
Let me guess, afterwards it never happened again?
Right, I know this prob. I think if you kill enemies in the bridge some error with event overlapping occurs.
Thanks for the help.

Btw: Since Blizzard is an admin, could you push this in the main project section?

WhiteRose

This looks awesome! :D Nothing wrong with it being short - a short RMXP game that is finished is many times more useful that an epic game that is never playable. :)

Shek

Played for about 20 minutes,
this game has a fantastic presentation and great story telling.  Less=more

The issue I had is that it's obnoxiously hard right off the bat.  By the time I assembled the first bridge I had barely any hp remaining.  And you just keep getting mobbed and mobbed by enemies without any sort of way to sustain your health.

Was this made with blizz abs? If so, how did you get the enemies to surround you like that? When I use Babs the enemies tend to all stack up on top of each other to hit you, rather than swarming around you.

Zexion

I'm pretty sure (judging from the files in the folder) this was made with 2k3 or 2k. So no its not blizz abs its probably an evented system.

Red-Cube

Zexion is right, it was made using the Rm2k3.... (my fav...)

Quote from: Shek on November 22, 2013, 05:00:54 am
Played for about 20 minutes,
this game has a fantastic presentation and great story telling.  Less=more

The issue I had is that it's obnoxiously hard right off the bat.  By the time I assembled the first bridge I had barely any hp remaining.  And you just keep getting mobbed and mobbed by enemies without any sort of way to sustain your health.

Was this made with blizz abs? If so, how did you get the enemies to surround you like that? When I use Babs the enemies tend to all stack up on top of each other to hit you, rather than swarming around you.
ThanX! Really? Is it that hard? I was affraid it was too easy. See, the faster you push space/return, the faster enemies take damage. Thus you always have a short moment you're invinsible after an hit... thus you can always jump over an enemy with c...
Maybe the game isn't that casual I thaught.

Tip: -Always keep moving. Kill one at a time, they aren't that powerful. Don't ever let them surround you.
      -Seen the floating teddy-head (right after the bridge)? It refills your health.

locowhiteknight

I agree with some of the other comments on here, that you've done a fantastic job with storytelling and creating a fun game. I will admit the game is pretty difficult, without your hint on button mashing I probably wouldn't have survived the first level. I thought the hallways with the ghosts were pretty cool and their death animations were awesome. Nice job!  ;) Unfortunately I was unable to complete the third level where you need to jump the fires. That level was extremely difficult for me, so regrettfully that's all of your game I was able to experience.

Sorry if you posted it above already, but how long did this project take to complete?
"Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?"

KinTery

This game looks really cool gonna try it out when i have a time! Cool Cool  8)

Red-Cube

Quote from: locowhiteknight on December 01, 2013, 08:32:54 pm
I agree with some of the other comments on here, that you've done a fantastic job with storytelling and creating a fun game. I will admit the game is pretty difficult, without your hint on button mashing I probably wouldn't have survived the first level. I thought the hallways with the ghosts were pretty cool and their death animations were awesome. Nice job!  ;) Unfortunately I was unable to complete the third level where you need to jump the fires. That level was extremely difficult for me, so regrettfully that's all of your game I was able to experience.

Sorry if you posted it above already, but how long did this project take to complete?
Thank you both.
Well, the fire sequences aren't that difficult once you figured it out. (You can still jump) Thus, if it's still too hard, just cheat! (By holding backwards the whole time. None of the flames will hit you now.)

No problem. It took me about 1,5 weeks to create all that.

KinTery

I tried it our but im really having hard time in jumping through the fires, maybe im not really good at it  :wacko:
Well i really like how story was made and those animations too =)