What can i do to fix this laptop

Started by Memor-X, November 14, 2013, 04:42:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Memor-X

i don't want to but since i'm sick and tired of being everyone tech support at home and being demanded to come to them with no concern what i'm doing and if i don't get this fixed up i'm going to be annoyed constantly and all my time will be spent leaving over the back of a wood chair reaching over to the keyboard and mouse as someone wont get the hell off the chair and let me work i'm going to get this fixed up so people can just leave me the fuck alone

my mums windows 7 laptop had been acting up lately running extremely slow when trying to access stuff like control panel or web sites, she barley goes onto the laptop so it only sees use like once a month, this is what i have done,

• analyzed the drives in disk defragment, there's no fragmentation

• clean out all the temp files since AVG suggested that

• turn off automatic updates, bad idea however its always downloading so when its downloading it could be putting a strain on the system

• updated to AVG 2014 and ran a full computer scan, no viruses

these are things i can't do

• clean the registry because that would require downloading a program which then the next time the laptop stuffs up i'm going to be blamed because "it wasn't doing this before you installed [PROGRAM]", however AVG shows me all the registry errors, about 90% are in Microsoft folders

• install another browser, because my mum knows nothing about browsers, i have explained.....i lost count after 20, what an internet browser is and what IE is, however she stills calls it eBay or Hotmail, while i want to install a new browser and i cant stand having to teach her how to use a new browser, how there's a difference and listening to her complain about how "i like the other one better", i already touight her how to delete messages on her phone several times

• download and install every windows update, because i tried this last weekend and there are still updated so windows seems to need to reset every now again again rather than trying to download every update and that would mean sitting at the laptop waiting then seeing it update then getting my mum to put the password in again and she wont let me remove it

• do a full system restore, cause she's probably lost the disks and will blame me

things i suspect that could have some relevance

• a couple of weeks ago after i updated to AVG 2014 my mum said she went on and it said it needed to be installed yet she ignored it and continued to be on the internet without even think of calling me on the mobile while i was at work, i can confirm AVG 2014 was installed and my mum thinks that windows asking her if she wants to run the Java Update or the notice in IE about Accelerators to be installed is all AVG and since she didn't just leave the laptop on for me to come back and check it out and shut the thing down i can no longer figure out what happened

• last night before my mum called me to the laptop she said she had started up the computer, waited for a bit before going onto hotmail and she said she had been waiting for over 30 minutes, before i turned off the computer after wasting over 20 minutes there i looked at task manager and see the up time, it was only on for 40 minutes so possibly she's not even giving the laptop a chance to finish starting up

• ie is always crashing but it could just be because ie is shit

• while on it last night i noticed in task manager the memory usage was always between 60 - 75% yet it has 2 GB of ram and barley anything installed

i want to get this fixed because if i don't my mum then get me to go on my laptop to check her email or ebay and she can spend hours reading every email in her inbox of very ever single page when she does a search on ebay, that and she'll just say "you should know this stuff but you waste your entire life on video games"