Game Dev Tycoon

Started by Blizzard, November 18, 2013, 05:05:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

November 18, 2013, 05:05:20 pm Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 05:07:26 pm by Blizzard
Holy fuck! This game is so addictive! O_o And I freaking love it. Just when you think "Aha, I see. This is it, this is the gameplay until the session is over." and then they throw new surprises at you!

Spoiler: ShowHide
I'm currently developing my own online shop like Steam and after that I'll be on an MMO. I already released my own console (initial cost was 94 million) and it sold 1.7 million units in 8 weeks (currently 3.3 million after almost 4 months). It's nuts. And my latest game sold 18 million copies, earning me 244 million credits. I called it "Monkey Treasure 4", an adventure game for the PC, grPad and mPad and the 3rd sequel of a franchise. Each of the Monkey Treasure games scored 9+, lol! But I wasn't able to get a clean 10 yet. I only had 2-3 times 9.75 so far. Other than that I have specialized in RPGs, Action-RPGs and Action games.

Anyway, I can recommend the game. Not only is it fun, it also has huge replay values as you can try other platforms or other genres. You even keep the "hints" that you research as some kind of experience when you start over. That way you don't have to remember from memory which game genre needs which features most and which it needs least. One session of 35 years can take easily 10 hours.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

God I love it. I've gotten quite a few scores of 10 and most of the achievements through Steam. I'm just missing Easter Egg, Fan, and Finish Game Dev Tycoon. I actually haven't beaten the game yet. The game is addicting and I played it quite a few hours. I absolutely love how they leaked a "pirated" version of the game themselves. In the pirated version, they had set it up so peoples games would get pirated and they would lose sales.

I remember seeing some comments on the pirates bay along the lines of:
"wtf my game keeps getting pirated"

Blizzard

November 19, 2013, 01:15:48 am #2 Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:44:31 am by Blizzard
Yeah, I heard about that with the pirated version. Pretty cool idea IMO.

EDIT: How do you allocate the development time for the categories? I usually put a full bar for +++ stuff, 2 thirds for ++ and the other empty or just enough to fully implement the features (e.g. sound in RPGs).

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

I usually end up doing the same. Sometimes I split it evenly all three ways to. It depends on the kind of game I'm making and what I really want to focus on.

Blizzard

November 21, 2013, 04:59:47 pm #4 Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 05:06:01 pm by Blizzard
Spoiler: ShowHide

I've got a couple of very successful MMOs and 3 consoles before I got this (named Trinity, Silver Lion and I forgot the first one, but the newest one is Vigor). I have trained my staff very well and I used full boosts twice during development (I got over 3000 points in design and around 2700 in technology I think). I lol'd. Though, I didn't get the achievement for 100M sales when my AAA MMO was sold 100M times. Was it maybe because it was with an expansion pack like that? As far as I realized, the best way is the make a hit MMO with a score of 9.75+, make sure you have a half a billion to a billion credits spare when you released the game and then just let the game run until you have 100M sales. You need the extra cash to pay for maintenance which becomes quite expensive.

G_G

I tried a couple of MMOs. They sucked and only got scores of 6 and 5. I just ended up shutting them down, wasn't making very many sales on it.

Blizzard

I notuced that the same rules usually applied to MMOs. If you can make good RPGs, you can make a good MMORPG.