Referendum in Croatia

Started by Blizzard, December 01, 2013, 04:24:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

So, today was the referendum in Croatia about gay marriages. Around two thirds voted for it and now marriage will be defined between a man and woman only, effectively discriminating the homosexual minority as per Croatian constitution. In this day and age, the 21st century, the country where I live in and the nation I belong to made it part of the constitution to discriminate a minority group. I am deeply ashamed.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2013/12/croatians-reject-gay-marriage-referendum-201312120920480241.html
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

Your country sucks and I hate you for living there...
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

I was going to move to Germany this fall, but I changed my mind, because Kiki, Teo and me are in the middle of Daygames after all.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

I of course was being sarcastic about the hating you thing, but I bet you knew that.

Kinda curious though. 2/3? is Croatia really THAT hard on things like that?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

December 02, 2013, 06:52:18 am #4 Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 06:54:45 am by Blizzard
Actually I read that as "I hate you for living there. I wish you were close to me!", LMAO!

Yeah, it looks like we are that hardcore. Funny thing, we are probably the least Catholic nation in behavior. Everywhere I see people coarsing and using god's name in vain, being selfish, hating on each other, envy, not going to church every Sunday and all that shit. If I remember right, we are one of the top consumers of alcohol in liter per citizen. In other words, no limits in drinking, one of the 7 deadly sins. Fuck, this country is so hypocrite that it's more a satire of Catholicism than not. Especially after the current pope basically said "gay is ok" and in Catholicism the pope's words are regarded as infallible (there is a dogma about the pope being infallible).

And this, so true:

Spoiler: ShowHide

Ryex

No one ever thinks about the money it costs to enact laws.

Blizzard

Oh, trust me. The media mentioned many times how much this all cost us until that point, but everybody seems to simply just ignore it.

PhoenixFire

I was unaware that governments still thought they could actually control how people feel about each other, regardless of gender...?  I do find it odd that any nation would actually vote against allowing people to marry. Really, why does it matter to anyone what a totally different person does behind closed doors? Sometimes people make me so frustrated at certain religions that this "distinction" between what is and "isn't" marriage all started with.
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Blizzard

Croatia is full of uneducated hilly billy hardcore Catholic idiots, that's why (no offense to Catholics in general). I just recently found out that the average IQ in Croatia is 90. Fucking 90. That's just several points short of being mentally retarded.

And the government was barely involved. Most politicians (except the conservatives which are currently not in power) actually urged the population to vote against the referendum which kinda surprised me to be honest.

Heretic86

December 04, 2013, 03:47:37 am #9 Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 03:49:49 am by Heretic86
Quote from: Ryex on December 02, 2013, 03:46:58 am
Your country sucks and I hate you for living there...

lol

You cant hate the people for the choices their leaders make.

(yes, I know youre being sarcastic)

---

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will, within limits drawn around us
by the equal rights of others.  I do not add "within the limits of the law", because law is
often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."  

-Thomas Jefferson

Besides, cant hate a country that gave us classics like Serious Sam!  Developed by Croteam.  Yeah, guess where those guys are...

---

Quote from: DigitalSoul on December 04, 2013, 12:45:51 am
I was unaware that governments still thought they could actually control how people feel about each other, regardless of gender...?  I do find it odd that any nation would actually vote against allowing people to marry. Really, why does it matter to anyone what a totally different person does behind closed doors? Sometimes people make me so frustrated at certain religions that this "distinction" between what is and "isn't" marriage all started with.

Two words.  Fucking Insurance.
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

Blizzard

A friends's and past co-worker's words on what happened: http://blog.vucica.net/2013/12/on-the-referendum.html
He speaks wise words.

winkio

This is why democracy doesn't work.  It's the same reason that optional surveys, restaurant reviews, etc. don't work.  There is no incentive to make a decision, or even to make an informed decision.  If they handled every election with the same rigor as a census, then maybe things would be a little better.  But honestly the world is too complex for any of the current forms of government, and has been for decades, if not centuries.

Blizzard

Yeah, classic democracy does indeed not work. I think there should be a value system where you have to take some sort of test in order for your vote to count more. If you are retarded, obviously your vote will count a lot less than somebody educated. Not that there are no retarded educated people, but they can be filtered out with this system, too. That way informed and thoughtful people could make their vote count more and maybe push things in the right direction rather than this kind of fiasco.

winkio

But what happens when all the "informed" voters are wealthy, higher social status, participate in a certain set of activities, etc?  They proceed to fuck over everyone else.

The reason I mentioned the census in my last post is that governments make a very strong effort to get detailed information on every citizen.  If they put the same effort into making every decision, and actively gathered opinions and feedback from every subgroup of the population, I think that a lot of decisions would be made much differently, and much better.