English is Crazy

Started by Ryex, December 07, 2013, 05:11:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

There exists a poem that highlights just how insanely inconsistent English is

http://themetapicture.com/english-pronunciation-poem/

I was challenged to read this poem aloud in one go, no practice. I thought I'd share the result

https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/123653415

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

KK20

Noticed a couple of different pronunciations and entirely wrong words (going back to that sduty wehre you olny raed prat of the wrod).

But this is definitely a fun challenge to throw at some of my friends and family drunk. Had no idea on how to pronounce some of the words I've never seen before.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Ranquil

It's also funny how 'read' rhymes with 'lead' but 'read' also rhymes with 'lead'.
Quote from: Some guy on FacebookLife is like a penis. It's short but it feels so long when it gets hard.

Quote from: Steven WinterburnBefore you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Ryex

listening to my voice while reading is weird, but ya your right there is like 3-4 times I say the wrong word. still Id say that pretty good considering that it was my first read and how fast I was going.

what did you mean by "different pronunciations"? that I said them wrong? or just that I said them differently than you would have?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

KK20

It's only wrong if you believe the dictionary is the word of God. But yes, you pronounce some words that I pronounce differently. I can't remember which words, and I'm not going to listen and read through it again. :P

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

R.A.V.S.O

Ah yes I remember this one....

when I was applying for a job at a call center about 2 years ago, as an english pronunciation test
we had to read the poem about halfway there, (I kinda feel proud about how I stuttered less than others)
in the end everyone had a good laugh.
Personality Test results
Spoiler: ShowHide

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

Zexion

Quote from: KK20 on December 08, 2013, 04:30:05 pm
I can't remember which words, and I'm not going to listen and read through it again. :P

Well shit ._.

Jk! Anywho, I tried this and then like everyone else in the comments on that site I stopped halfway through, ordered an iron lung, and quit.