Some people just don't understand....

Started by WhiteRose, December 12, 2013, 05:56:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

Trying to explain why Persona 4 is a great game to a friend:

QuoteMe: So then, outside of world with the enemies, you have your regular life, where you interact with your teammates and where a lot of the actual story unfolds as you work things out together. What's really cool is that as you get to know your teammates better, they also become more effective in combat and you learn special team abilities.
Her: Wow, that sounds like a game for people with no friends.
Me: .... :(

The implied insult was kind of tactless on her part (I don't think it was intentional,) but mostly it's just kind of sad that other people don't understand why you think something is so awesome. I guess that's what people mean by having "different tastes." It's one reason why I usually don't bring up games with people unless they do first. Feels a little awkward sometimes.

winkio

Lol.  The correct response would have been:

"Yeah, that's why I brought up the game, it's perfect for you."

But in all seriousness the same thing happens with other activities/hobbies.  For example, the trekkie (star trek) community used to be in the same position, but have since become a little more widespread with the new movies.  You should never really expect other people to enjoy the same things that you do, but if you look hard enough, you should be able to find people that share your interests.

WhiteRose

Quote from: winkio on December 12, 2013, 06:06:05 pm
Lol.  The correct response would have been:

"Yeah, that's why I brought up the game, it's perfect for you."

Hahaha :P Ouch.

Well, good thing I always have Chaos Project here to understand my gaming dilemmas. XD

Zexion

Aww rose, lol. I've been fortunate enough to grow up with a girl that shares my Kingdom Hearts/nintendo/shiny objects obsession, so I could only imagine what it would be like not to have that. It is sad that so many people look down on video games though...

R.A.V.S.O

Meh... if the above were true I'd recommend GTA V to people on the verge of suicide that wanted to go out with a bang.
(I'd recommend super mario bros & katamari damacy for people high on drugs, but that's another subject altogether..)

but seriously though, not all games are made for all persons, same for TV shows, movies etc... different flavors for all, if someone
out there dislikes something you like (which IMO is bound to happen all the time) just simply shrug it off and carry on,
although I have played Persona, I still have other faves (looking at you megaman ;D)

then again you reminded me of the time I played commander keen and everyone kept calling me a weirdo for the simple fact
of enjoying semi-obscure DOS games. nevermind the opposition if in the end a game is good doesn't that mean the game succeeded
on it's purpose? entertainment of course XD
Personality Test results
Spoiler: ShowHide

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

KK20

Wasn't until I got into college that I started seeing people who shared an interest in programming and/or game design. Sure as hell made growing up hard for me. 'tis why I hang around here: I can actually talk to people who share my passion for once.

It's kind of sad that my circle of friends consists of just one of the following traits: interest in playing video games, band geek, helped them with school work, or the sake of being old childhood friends (when interests were so much more wide-spread and similar in tastes).

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

R.A.V.S.O

Quote from: KK20 on December 12, 2013, 10:44:11 pm
It's kind of sad that my circle of friends consists of just one of the following traits: interest in playing video games, band geek, helped them with school work, or the sake of being old childhood friends (when interests were so much more wide-spread and similar in tastes).

You'd be surprised how many people I know that share friend circles with this amout or possibly less traits than those explained, heck even family
feels rather distant when it comes to my career choices... then again it would have been interesting to see how I would have ended as a chemist
or pharmacobiologist.
Personality Test results
Spoiler: ShowHide

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

Blizzard

I used to have a similar problem, but at one point I just stopped caring whether somebody enjoys the same things I do. We can still be friends even if our share of interests don't overlap much. So don't beat yourself up.

Another good response: "No, it means you're better at the game if you do have friends."
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

PhoenixFire

Quote from: R.A.V.S.O on December 12, 2013, 11:56:42 pm
...heck even family feels rather distant when it comes to my career choices...

I know what you mean on that one. It's taken quite some time to explain to some people just why I like doing what I do. In reality, you shouldn't have to explain yourself to anyone, but I make exceptions when it comes to certain people, like those that I have to interact with more often than not haha..

Quote from: WhiteRose on December 12, 2013, 05:56:11 pm
I guess that's what people mean by having "different tastes." It's one reason why I usually don't bring up games with people unless they do first. Feels a little awkward sometimes.

I feel for you on that one; when it comes to my choice in games, it's difficult to explain to some of my friends as well. Most friends I have that are gamers, are either all about the latest and greatest, or, seem to have a soft spot for series games, even if they suck bigtime, so it's hard for them to understand why I would rather play roller coaster tycoon and SimAnt instead of the newest CoD or something similar. Half the time my choices are met with criticism though, so I simply stopped caring what people react to me with.

Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

KK20

Quote from: Blizzard on December 13, 2013, 02:41:00 am
I used to have a similar problem, but at one point I just stopped caring whether somebody enjoys the same things I do. We can still be friends even if our share of interests don't overlap much. So don't beat yourself up.

I've gotten over it years ago. Just consider my post as just an observation. Still, it sure helps to have some kind of interest--I find conversations terribly awkward or nonexistent otherwise. Must be the introversion in me. I can tell you have an extroverted personality, so it's easier for you to adjust around others. Let me guess... ENTJ?

Quote from: R.A.V.S.O on December 12, 2013, 11:56:42 pm
You'd be surprised how many people I know that share friend circles with this amout or possibly less traits than those explained

I'm sure some of my friends probably fall under this situation too, mainly the introverted ones. It'll take a lot more to surprise me :U

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Blizzard

December 13, 2013, 03:27:14 pm #10 Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:31:36 pm by Blizzard
I tend to just talk retarded stuff and so time passes while some actually intelligent conversations happens in between.
I have no idea which type I am (I forgot). I'd have to look it up.

EDIT: Yup, I'm ENTJ. I used to be different, though.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Spaceman McConaughey

Wow, what a cunt.
'scuse me. teehee.

Really, though, I'd tell her to fuck off if it was me. >.>