Game Dev topics

Started by Blizzard, December 24, 2013, 01:47:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

December 24, 2013, 01:47:58 am Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:49:10 am by Blizzard
How many of you would be interested in me writing about certain development topics about problems that I encounter in everyday work? It would range from very different topics such as game design down to straight up implementation details and platform specific problems. e.g. The other day I was implementing hardware cursor support in our engine only to find out that WinRT has massive problems with it. You can load CUR and ANI files in Win32 without problems, but in WinRT this can be only done if the file was embedded as resources with RC files. Or how I had to blindly code in-app purchase support on OUYA as we don't own an OUYA for development or an Android tablet to emulate it and how my phone's screen was too small for their launcher and the Android emulator doesn't support WiFi. Or how making KOB free for a week on iOS has probably increased our revenue by 20%. So there's lots of useful stuff I can talk about. I would try to keep things short since I have a lot of stuff to do and don't want to waste to much time on this, but I think I can spend 30-60 minutes weekly sharing my experiences.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

winkio

Definitely interested.  Do it.

G_G

I would agree. I think it'd be a cool experience to hear about.

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

PhoenixFire

I would like to read through some of that too. Sounds like it could be really interesting.
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Spaceman McConaughey

Don't do it, man. Why would you even? :V:

Really, though, do it.

WhiteRose

locowhiteknight

Please do, I would find it very interesting to read. I already find myself pawing through all the archives to glean any insight into game design for rmxp (or just in general) that I can.
"Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?"

Blizzard

Alright, then it's settled. I'll try sharing my wisdom more around.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.