Make the NSA stop watching us

Started by Blizzard, June 19, 2013, 03:35:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

be as cynical as you want but if Google didn't have the voice of close to a half a billion people behind them the government would of just laughed. you think Google was personally funding and asking people to sign those petitions for no reason?

Believe it or not most elected politicians listen to the people as is their job. but it takes a REALLY loud voice to be heard through the money lined walls of washington
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Remember the statement "innocent until proven guilty"? Well, this breach of privacy basically says that everybody is potentially guilty and that they are desperately trying to get the information on how and why. Which is bullshit.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: Shek on December 21, 2013, 12:05:53 am
Hate to be the pickle in the ice cream sundae, but those policies were abandoned because big corporations like Google lobbied to have them halted; not because Joe Citizen complained.

Oh yeah? I think you should cite your source.

locowhiteknight

I don't know how you guys/girls feel about trading off your privacy in exchange for better security, but I'm not willing to make any concessions that are not forced upon me. I have no real fear of terrorists, because they're not a real, immediate threat to me. I'm far more concerned walking down some of the streets in my hometown at night, than I am of the million-to-1 chance that some terrorist is gonna get me.

I think a lot of the problems were seeing with the erosion of citizens rights to privacy could have been curtailed if a large company would have started selling online real estate. I think if citizens were able to purchase a "virtual home", they would damn well expect their privacy to be respected while occupying it. If you could keep your music, movies, songs, books, games,  etc... in your "virtual home" you could invite your friends to come over and hangout. If you caught a company or person stalking you, breaking and entering, going through your belongings, etc... you could press charges. It would give some protection against illegal search and seizure... or it should.

If all of the companies want to treat their products as "real" and not "virtual" why don't we do it with housing. All we'd have to do is piggyback off of their well worn trail of rhetoric for copy right protection, and bam virtual houses are treated like real houses with all rights intact.   

j/k it's never work.
"Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?"

Blizzard

Quote from: locowhiteknight on December 21, 2013, 08:55:21 pm
I don't know how you guys/girls feel about trading off your privacy in exchange for better security, but I'm not willing to make any concessions that are not forced upon me. I have no real fear of terrorists, because they're not a real, immediate threat to me. I'm far more concerned walking down some of the streets in my hometown at night, than I am of the million-to-1 chance that some terrorist is gonna get me.

This. The chance is probably even lower than one in a million. It's almost as ridiculous as if the government was trying to protect citizen from a potential meteorite impact.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Heretic86

You have a better chance of being killed by a Cop than a Terrorist.  Cops now account for the deaths of 500 innocent people per year in the US.

Privacy and Security are NOT opposites.  If you give up Privacy, youre giving up Security, not the other way around.  They also arent exactly the same either so gains in Security does not always mean gains in Privacy, and versa visa.
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

ForeverZer0

Quote from: Heretic86 on December 23, 2013, 07:21:51 pm
Privacy and Security are NOT opposites.  If you give up Privacy, youre giving up Security, not the other way around.  They also arent exactly the same either so gains in Security does not always mean gains in Privacy, and versa visa.

I agree. You do not need to spy on your own citizens to increase security. Yes, there might be the one in a ten million potential threat that is discouraged this way, but seriously, all the time, money, and resources could be 100 times more effective if applied elsewhere for far better results, and no one would have there rights to privacy infringed upon. They just want to operate under the argument of "if you have nothing to hide, what are you worried about", when that is not the point at all. It's a matter of principle and going against the very foundation of the laws and beliefs that the government was founded on. It's another large step in the wrong direction, the direction of tyranny that the founding fathers of the government tried so hard to prevent and ensure would never happen.

I am a huge advocate of a limited and small government.  Historically speaking, the smaller the government, the more this (the US) country has thrived, prospered, and grown.  I am not advocating anarchy in the slightest, I belief a government is a very necessary thing, but I want to see it returned to the state that is used to and was envisioned to be, the one that allowed the US to become the nation that it has in the first place.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Heretic86

@F0, +Rep!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=lXBZd3jmbWg

I fully agree.  I do not support total anarchy or total government.  I believe that the essence of Freedom comes from a balance between Govt and People.  The video explains this better than I can word it without just regurgitating it, so linky.
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

locowhiteknight

That was a pretty insightful video @Heretic86, thanks for the link. I'm on board with ForeverZer0, that generally (well I guess it has already been proven) that the smaller the government, the freer the people will be. The major hiccup in this line of thinking though, is for people to really be freer, ALL governments of the world would need to operate the same (even at the smaller state level) or there would need to be one government for all the people. The reason I say this is, we have these awkward interfaces in the U.S. (other countries as well) with the governments of some foreign countries, primarily where trade and military is concerned. In many ways the fact that there are these oligarchies, dictatorships, theocracies, etc.. our government is kind of forced into behaving in some awkward, perhaps unintended ways to compensate for this "imbalance" in policies with foreign countries.
"Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?"