RGSS2 and RGSS3 Scripts

Started by sekiraze, December 30, 2013, 11:06:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sekiraze

I really really hope this hasnt been posted yet ._.

I am using the RPG Maker XP for my game creation process.
So i got myself VX Ace.

My question is: What are pro's/Con's about the scripts?
What are pro's/Con's in general?
Can i use RGSS2 Scripts in ACE?
Are there conversters? (most noobish question in my life.)

Help appreciated alot! :o

G_G

No you cannot use RGSS2 scripts in Ace, Ace uses RGSS3, while both have similar APIs and methods, it's also still completely different from one another. There arne't any automatic conversion tools, it'd be too difficult to pull it off, but it is possible to convert scripts, it just takes someone who knows how to program in ruby.

LiTTleDRAgo

there are converter for VX -> VXA, it converts everything except scripts

sekiraze

thanks guys :O that were very straight foreward answers!

but what about the software it self? What are ACE's Pro's comparing to XP?

PhoenixFire

Well, being a newer engine means it uses newer functionalities of Ruby for scripting, HOWEVER, the flip side to that is that there are far less scripts out there for Ace, than there are for XP. Another thing to consider is your support system. Seeing as though you're on a board where the majority of everything is XP (well, I know we're slowly moving away from that with some of the scripters here, but I have yet to see Blizz ABS for Ace =P ), you may want to think about it this way; you say you're new to the program, which is fine, but, you will probably get better support, and more support for that matter, with XP. There are more scripts to use and edit, and people are still developing for XP even now. I have not used Ace yet, so I cannot say if it is better in any way that relates to the UI, but I'm sure they have improved at least something about it... I hope... Although, it is Enterbrain we're talking about, and since they JUST fixed the "free" program registry hack.... lolz...
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

KK20

XP: More support, more scripts, more resources (KK20 will save your arse)
VXA: Stronger, faster, more built-in "newb-friendly" stuff

If there's anything that keeps me away from VXA it's the mapping. The RTP sucks a ton.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

PhoenixFire

I dunno KK20, I might become a scripting hero someday and rival that arse saving power you have :V:
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

sekiraze

thanks guys for the input :O ill stay with xp, but play around some bit with ACE. wouldn't it be amACEing if ACE supported stuff from the rig maker 2000, XP ?

Blizzard

When I started with RMXP, RM2k3 had a lot more resources and everything compared to XP. But because of its scripting capabilities eventually RMXP took over and probably has the biggest support right now. RMVX and RMVXA weren't able to usurp RMXP the way RMXP usurped RM2k3 in a relatively short time. I've been around in the community for 8 years now. O_o God, am I old.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

sekiraze

Quote from: Blizzard on December 31, 2013, 04:54:55 am
God, am I old.

old? I'm using the RPG Maker for 7 years, and this is my 2nd forum i am regisered to activelly :D

Blizzard

LMAO! I used to be at RMRK, but 2 years later I founded CP. xD

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

sekiraze

December 31, 2013, 08:20:48 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 08:26:13 am by sekiraze
OH SHIT IM TALKING TO THE ADMIN  :facepalm:

:haha:

Blizzard

Lol, just regard me as you would any other member.

PhoenixFire

Quote from: Blizzard on December 31, 2013, 07:44:41 am
...I used to be at RMRK...

Yeah, and your profile pic is still valid over there.. And it's hilarious. I kinda wish some of the members from there would come over here.. A few choice people would really liven things up lmao

Quote from: Blizzard on December 31, 2013, 08:49:57 am
Lol, just regard me as you would any other member.

Yeah... Most of the rest of us already do hehe.. Blizz is cool like that, he doesn't demand a huge ton of praise and respect.. well.. usually anyways :V:

Blizzard

Yeah, the huge statue you guys built in my honor and pray to daily really is enough. I don't need any more ego than that. :V: