Video series for more advance programmers.

Started by Ryex, August 26, 2012, 01:54:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

I want to make a video series for more advance programmers on how to tackle and solve problems and common tasks several different ways with different languages.
does this sound like a good idea? what problems or tasks / types of problems or tasks should I cover?
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

August 26, 2012, 04:18:26 am #1 Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:27:17 am by Blizzard
Menu flow, scene manager, path finder concepts, difference between static game data and dynamic game data and how to connect them (e.g. RPG::Actor and Game_Actor), clever generalization and usage of object oriented design, model-view-controller concepts and possibly other design patterns.

EDIT: How to store data (e.g. RPG::Actor), i.e. what are the advantages and disadvantages between different formats (e.g. XML is human readable, can be edited with Notepad and needs more programming code to be read properly while some binary formats are technically encrypted, require an additional program to be edited and they require less code to be read) and when SQL databases make sense.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ryex

hmm, all are great ideas and you actually gave me more direction with those idea than I realized I needed.  I think the first video I do will be on managing game scene flow and all the ways it can be done. sadly I really don't have that much experience on how scene flow is done out side of 2D games :P but then, would it really need to be different?  I'll probably give each video it's own topic so that people cna make comment, ask question and offer their own insights on the topic discussed.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

3D scene's aren't much different. You still have some sort of rendering loop, transition management, input processing and logic update.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.