[XP]Dynamic BGM/BGS?

Started by MarkHest, December 31, 2013, 09:43:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkHest

December 31, 2013, 09:43:03 pm Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:24:14 pm by MarkHest
I've wondered for a while if it's possible to add Dynamic music effects to RPG Maker XP? Since my game is very music focused i've been wanting to add conversations with different songs playing (Which is actually one big song, but different files) as the conversations goes on and the mood changes. So I've wondered if it's possible to add a script call or something that check when the current song stops playing and then switches to another song defined in the call? or something of the sort?
This way I don't have to use sloppy transitions by fading out the first part and then play the next song or just straight out change it without even fading it out. It really takes a lot of the moment to just switch song suddenly in the middle of a small loop.

Is this possible though? I want the song to loop as many times as it normally would until I decide for it to switch the next time it ends, which would probably be by script call.

This is something I plan to use A LOT in the next game I will work on as that game will be even more focused on music than The Missing Part - (Title Missing)

MarkHest

That's a pretty cool tool. But I don't see how I can use it for the purpose described above.

LiTTleDRAgo

can use multiple bgm / bgs
you can loop certain part of the music
you can start the music on specific part

MarkHest

January 04, 2014, 06:34:40 am #4 Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 06:56:09 am by MarkHest
Does this mean that everyone who plays my game will also have to download the codec for that script?

Also, i've been messing with the script a little bit and I can't figure out how the make the script let itself play out the current song and then switch over to another file.
Can I make the "seek position" command, for example, make the game wait until the time of the current song has passed (Say the current playing song is 7 seconds) and then play another song automatically when 7 seconds have passed, even though events are running in the foreground.

A good example of what I want to do is when the music in The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess hyrule field changes as you do different things on the field. However, it wait for the appropriate time in the song before it switches to the next part depending on what you're doing. (Dynamic Music)

G_G

Anyone who wants to play your game needs the proper codecs for the format your game uses. It uses the systems media player to play audio. By default it plays mp3 files, so you could always convert everything to mp3. Or you could pack your game with the K-Lite Codec (and I believe you'll need something for ogg as well).

MarkHest

Alright. First I'll see if I can figure out how to do that music shifting thing. I don't even know how to do it.
If I figure it out I'll try the game on my laptop without a codec for OGG files and make it work as well.

I won't include the player if I can't figure out the dynamic effect, though. F0, care to give me a small tour of the problem? :roll:

ForeverZer0

It sounds like all you really need to do is some eventing with wait commands. Since the player can read lengths of songs, you could use wait commands to simply play a new file after the duration of the first has passed.

I think I remember making events that fired when songs were done playing in the C# port I made, I will check if that's possible to do something similar in the Ruby version.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.