Atheist Antham

Started by Ryex, January 20, 2014, 06:48:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

January 20, 2014, 06:48:39 pm Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 07:24:45 pm by KK20

This song really just speeks to me.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

KK20

Indeed. That *Invalid Youtube Link* really speaks to me, too. :V:

*fixes*

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Ryex

January 21, 2014, 03:20:39 am #2 Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 04:08:12 pm by Ryex
the link error aside. It really does just kinda resonate with me.
I'm basically Atheist though I do approach Agnostic at time. the more I understand about the world, humanity, and the universe the more I see a majesty in the whole. but it not a pure "holly"  "this was god's work" beauty. It's the beauty of math and random chance and billions of chances all crashing together as it all collapses in on itself. It's a horrifying type of beauty.

In light of my knowledge of understanding I can not justify "God" as defined in the Hebrew decedent religions and the other options like the Roman/Greek Pantheon or the eastern Philosophy steeped mythologies make no sense.

Sadly, my entire family is just about a christian as you can get. attending bible studies every week while going to church early every Sunday ect. and raised my into it. There was a time when I believed. there was a time when I wasn't sure but wanted to any way. there was a time when I could find no reason to believe but "had to" anyway. Finally I said screw it. if they need to lie to themselves to deal with the realities of life and provide themselves justification to live as decent human beings instead of just BEING decent, then they can do that. but I'm going to make my own dam decisions about life from my own experience.

course I still can't tell my family this else my educational funding evaporates and I don't actuary want to hurt them like that. because they would actually be hurt if I told them I didn't believe with them. They would probably disown me if I told them I didn't share their views about most of today's issues like homosexuality or the way the economy works.

point is the raw feeling behind the song, that one can live outside the established system of thought if they have a strong enough will that we need to move along as a race/ I share that.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

January 21, 2014, 05:39:21 am #3 Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:40:28 am by Blizzard
I have had a somewhat similar experience. My family aren't hardcore Christians, but they do believe in Jesus. A few years ago I realized that I don't agree with a few core beliefs of Christianity so I think that I have no right to call myself a Christian. I still believe that there is a superior conscious being that started everything, but I don't think that they did it for a "higher purpose" and it doesn't even matter to me. Lol, like a true Agnostic; whether there is a god or not does not really matter to me anyway, but I do believe in one.

Though, I did tell my family that I've sworn off Christianity. My mother took it a bit hard at first and my parents aren't really comfortable with it, but it's not an issue as they respect my decision.

my reasons: ShowHide

1. Getting baptized basically makes you a Christian for life. Your parents do your promise instead of you yourself so basically you are not given a choice to not be Christian if your parents say so. It's a self-serving ritual and becomes meaningless if you don't believe in it. I disagree with this as everybody should be able to make their choice and be able to change it at any time. Christianity does not allow you to leave technically. But only as long as you believe in it. If you don't believe in Jesus, it makes the ritual meaningless since its whole purpose is based on believing that it has one.

2. No sex before marriage; I completely disagree. I understand that there should be a way to force people to look after their children who aren't careful with sex. But marriage comes down to one thing again: Make a promise and being forced to keep it. In Christianity it's literally "until death parts us" so sex is basically prohibited before marriage to make sure you do your parental duties in at least some way. It's not a bad thing, but with today's laws about child support and protection during sex, it becomes obsolete.

3. The Jewish god is vengeful and killed millions of people in the Old Testament. The Christian god will forgive you even if you destroyed the entire universe as long as you're just honestly sorry about it. I can't believe in a god that will erase all consequences of your actions, it doesn't seem right. Don't get me wrong, forgiveness is a good thing, but there has to be a limit. If somebody does the same mistake over and over, there is no point in forgiving them as they aren't making an actual effort to not make that mistake anymore. Which means that they obviously aren't sorry.

4. Honestly, I forgot what #4 was. xD

These may seem like "minor" stuff, but they are important to Christians.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

Why are there never songs about Budda is Dead, Alah is Dead, etc.?
Just curious.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Blizzard

Buddha really didn't do anything "bad" towards anybody else which is probably why nobody "says his name in vain". On the other side Christians and Muslims have killed countless people in their name of their god. So yeah.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ranquil

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on January 21, 2014, 07:26:27 am
Why are there never songs about Budda is Dead, Alah is Dead, etc.?
Just curious.

Because Buddha isn't a god, he's a person (who happened to become enlightened) who indeed is dead. :naughty:
Quote from: Some guy on FacebookLife is like a penis. It's short but it feels so long when it gets hard.

Quote from: Steven WinterburnBefore you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Blizzard

Yes, Buddhism actually doesn't revolve around the idea of god, but around the idea to become the best person you can be and thus finding enlightenment.
While I personally don't agree with probably half of Buddhism's teachings, you gotta admit that there was no war created by Buddhists while other religions made a shit ton of wars. >.<

Ryex

I actually find Buddhism the most sensible religion out of the ones I'm aware of. Sure the shit about rebirth, social classes and a few other this it stupid but at least it makes you responsible for moral judgments and not some god out there in the ether.

I live my life by a simple code. "do what you must, accept the consequences". in then end the only person you really have to answer to is yourself. Life moves forward with or without you. can you live with your actions? what if they were someone else actions? could you bear what effects they have on your friends? your family? your fellow man? it's not always easy to answer all those questions. but you had best be happy with your answers because no one else can answer them for you.

Blizzard

I agree. I've read a short book which was basically an FAQ on Buddhism. I actually like the idea of improving one's skills in one life and it carries mostly over into the next one, but I can't really bring myself to believe it. But that's actually the beauty of Buddhism: I don't have to. I simply don't have to believe, I just have to do it. All other religions require you to do AND believe. e.g. In Christianity if you are a good person, but not Christian, you'll end up in purgatory at best. Even if you're a freaking saint, there's no heaven for you if you're not a Christian.