A Fun Idea

Started by WhiteRose, January 30, 2014, 09:46:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

I've been doing some doodling in my spare time, and I had a really fun idea! What do people think about doing a doodle type RP? I think this would be different enough from the RPs of the past that it would really get people interested. It also would solve the problem of being a big time commitment, as it's a lot easier and quicker to sketch out a scene than to type a good description. Even for people who choose not to play, having something visual to look at will make it at least fun to read through the thread.

I know that I always pop up with these new RP ideas every few months, and that they usually fall through after a couple of weeks, often due to nothing other than that I fall behind - I'll take the blame on that one. I'm hoping that this approach will make this feel like something new with a lot of potential rather than just the beginning of another failure.

I'm just tossing ideas around here, so nothing is concrete. It would be fun to have everyone do their own drawings in their posts, but I also understand that for many people, this is more difficult than typing a response, so just typing would be fine too. It would be some combination of typing and drawing. There are also some things that are just easier to describe than to draw, so it also might be a good idea to allow accompanying annotations. As for what the drawings themselves would be like, it would probably amount to some sort of comic-panel type format. Even if someone just draws stick figures, it will still be fun.

Again, just putting a few ideas out there. What are people's thoughts?

Zexion

That sounds cool! I actually do this on my own sometimes, but I feel wierd because I didn't think anyone else would actually do this...... lol

WhiteRose

January 31, 2014, 04:51:51 pm #2 Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 01:11:45 am by WhiteRose
Quote from: Zexion on January 31, 2014, 01:20:39 am
That sounds cool! I actually do this on my own sometimes, but I feel wierd because I didn't think anyone else would actually do this...... lol

It probably wouldn't take any more than the two of us to get started; I'm sure more people will be interested as we get things rolling. Any thoughts on the direction that we want to take things? My thought is that we want it to at first be pretty light, keeping in mind that we can give it a bit more depth as we get further along. It can't be TOO light, though; we want it to be an RP, not just some sort of multi-author shallow webcomic.

Any idea on the type of universe that we want to put together? I've had a few thoughts. We could either start with an archetype foundation such as fantasy or sci-fi and go from there, or we could build upon some sort of existing universe. (Either from another RP, a game, or something like that.)
Another option that has been floating around my head for a while would be some sort of massive cross-over project, where people can bring in characters and settings from any existing universe (within reason and with perhaps minor adjustments to allow for compatibility.) We see a ton of fan games here at CP, so I'm sure there are a ton of people out there who would love to give this a try. It would also fit will with our intended light-hearted feel that we want to give things - depending on how people are able to handle their characters, it should hit the sweet spot of having an engaging amount of depth due to character familiarity, but enough non-sequitur from the multiple foundations that it would still be light-hearted. On the other hand, this does open a can of worms for god-modding and so on, particularly if characters have vastly differing potential. Given that this is a drawn RP, however, I for some reason find myself thinking that it wouldn't be too much of a problem. Maybe I'm just being optimistic.

ANYWAY

Those are just a few of my ideas. I'm happy to do whatever people think would be fun. What are your thoughts?

EDIT: I also did have the thought that we should try not to do anything that would be too hard for people to draw. We don't want people to feel that they can't join because of lack of artistic ability. I'd even be happy with stick figures. :P

EDIT: Just for fun, I put together a sample picture of what something during the RP could look like. Not all pictures have to have colors and stuff like this, of course. In this picture, we have a hypothetical group of three adventurers, sitting down at the tavern to swap tales after a long day of questing to save the kingdom (or whatever.) The knight is telling the mage a story, and the fighter has already dropped off after having a couple drinks.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Zexion

Omg, haha. I love the art! what program/app/etc. did you use? I like the idea of a cross-over rp but I don't know... I've seen them done at many forums and they always become super popular, but I personally don't live overly massive crossovers. I know it sounds over done, but I actually really like medieval themes. I've been playing monster hunter and it always gets my creative juices flowing! I think we should take the picture you made, and roll with it. Start off with a story for that picture and maybe show how they got their or what they are talking about.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Zexion on February 01, 2014, 03:52:17 am
Omg, haha. I love the art! what program/app/etc. did you use? I like the idea of a cross-over rp but I don't know... I've seen them done at many forums and they always become super popular, but I personally don't live overly massive crossovers. I know it sounds over done, but I actually really like medieval themes. I've been playing monster hunter and it always gets my creative juices flowing! I think we should take the picture you made, and roll with it. Start off with a story for that picture and maybe show how they got their or what they are talking about.

Haha. Thanks! I just use an app called Sketchbook by Autodesk. Nothing too fancy.

We can definitely continue along these lines if you want to. I don't have any names for the characters or anything, so I'll need to think up names and some sort of backstory. I'll try and put things together and get us rolling soon.

Zexion

Quote from: WhiteRose on February 01, 2014, 12:50:01 pm
Haha. Thanks! I just use an app called Sketchbook by Autodesk. Nothing too fancy.

Oh lucky me! I have that app already haha

Taboo

I love the idea though I'm afraid I won't be able to participate. My artistic skills are absolutely atrocious, especially drawing.

Zexion

Well try it anyway, lol! We are not an art site that will judge you or anything of the like. Stick figures can still tell a powerful story!

WhiteRose

Quote from: Taboo on February 01, 2014, 03:09:34 pm
I love the idea though I'm afraid I won't be able to participate. My artistic skills are absolutely atrocious, especially drawing.

Do you think it would be better to do something more along the lines of a regular RP, but just with a few pictures along the way? (Drawn either by participants or even just by me when I make a post.) I want to do something that a lot of people will find fun, so feel free to give any input that comes to mind.

KK20

I'll keep an eye on this. I can doodle and tell a good story from time to time.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Taboo

Quote from: WhiteRose on February 01, 2014, 06:22:33 pm

Do you think it would be better to do something more along the lines of a regular RP, but just with a few pictures along the way? (Drawn either by participants or even just by me when I make a post.) I want to do something that a lot of people will find fun, so feel free to give any input that comes to mind.

I think you're on to something there. An RP supplemented by visual representations of the situations would be awesome. Maybe the less artistic ones could receive some help from the more talented individuals. In either case, its up to you. I would enjoy reading or participating either way.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Taboo on February 01, 2014, 07:42:39 pm
Quote from: WhiteRose on February 01, 2014, 06:22:33 pm

I think you're on to something there. An RP supplemented by visual representations of the situations would be awesome. Maybe the less artistic ones could receive some help from the more talented individuals. In either case, its up to you. I would enjoy reading or participating either way.

Okay, I think that sounds like a good plan. It would be a good way to retain the uniqueness without limiting people who want to play based on artistic ability. With that in mind, we should start putting together ideas for the type of game world that we'd like. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I think my personal drawing style is probably a little better suited to a bright, vibrant world rather than something dark and gritty. It sounds like we've pretty much agreed on a fantasy/medieval setting. What other ideas would people like to see? Should there be multiple races? Should we start on a small scale, like saving a local village, or should we take it right off the bat with something epic? Finally, how closely do people want to coordinate? It makes it a lot easier for the game master to run the RP when people are together, but that also requires more waiting for each person to give input before moving along.

Taboo

How about starting in medias res? We don't have to be doing something epic, but starting us out in some action with a good picture to accompany it would surely draw a great deal of attention and interest.

Zexion

Quote from: WhiteRose on February 01, 2014, 08:41:50 pm
It sounds like we've pretty much agreed on a fantasy/medieval setting. What other ideas would people like to see? Should there be multiple races? Should we start on a small scale, like saving a local village, or should we take it right off the bat with something epic?

Hmm definately multiple races, (gnomes, imps, dwarves, elves, etc.) I think we should start off slow by showing how the heros or characters or whatever :P are related and give them a reason to venture out on a quest or something.

Edit: Lol, taboo posted like the opposite of what I was about to post. :P

Quote from: WhiteRose on February 01, 2014, 08:41:50 pm
Finally, how closely do people want to coordinate? It makes it a lot easier for the game master to run the RP when people are together, but that also requires more waiting for each person to give input before moving along.

Honestly, I will leave this up to you. I have no experience in this so I don't know what would be better haha. It doesn't matter to me, though!

WhiteRose

February 01, 2014, 09:11:00 pm #14 Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 09:13:35 pm by WhiteRose
Quote from: Taboo on February 01, 2014, 09:01:37 pm
How about starting in medias res? We don't have to be doing something epic, but starting us out in some action with a good picture to accompany it would surely draw a great deal of attention and interest.

That's a good idea. I can handle that. Now we just need characters, though. One option that could work would be to have a central group of characters and allow everyone to control them freely. This would eliminate the trouble of waiting for other people to respond, of people dropping out, stress of the storyteller in telling multiple stories at once, and so on. However, it would also get rid of a lot of the "role-playing" aspect of the RP, as a personal connection to one's character is important. Having multiple people controlling the characters would mean that they could only have vaguely defined personalities, as they would change hands frequently.

Option number two would just be to have everyone create their own characters as normal, and then I as the storyteller would work to keep people in a single, or perhaps two or three at the most, groups. This would reduce stress, make it possible to have more pictures for the group in general, and give more interaction between players. The downside would be that if someone doesn't post for a while and everyone else in their group is ready to move along, we might have to take control of their character to get things moving.

Finally, option three would be to do what we have done in RPs in the past, and have people create their own characters and allow them free roaming, individual stories. This is a lot of fun and very immersive for the players, but it would also mean that I wouldn't be able to give as much dedicated time to each player.

One other option to consider is that there could be multiple storytellers (or GMs or DMs or however you want to put it.) This would reduce the amount of work that the storyteller has to do and would give multiple flavors to the story. On the other hand, it also risks a bit of inconsistency unless the storytellers frequently coordinate. It would also require that someone else is willing to invest a bit of extra time into the RP beyond just playing a character.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? I like all of the ideas and think that any one of them could work, so let's do what you all think would be the most fun. Also, if you like the idea of individual characters, feel free to post a description of your character. We don't have a strictly defined character template yet, as the game world is still forming, so be as specific or general as you'd like. If you give some details of your character's appearance, I could draw a picture for you. :)

EDIT: I think I'm starting to form an idea of a good foundation for the story. As far as gameplay mechanics, it would be like the second option I listed - one central main party, with players working together closely, but people still creating their own individual characters. How does this sound to everyone else? The other ideas are still good, too, if you like them, so just let me know! Feel free to give your complete and honest opinion. You can even tell me, "Rose, stop being afraid of hard work and let me make my character and do what I want to do!"

Taboo

We could go with option 2 and do what we have done in the past. Group chats with someone transcribing the conversation into a post. Though this was time consuming, I thoroughly enjoyed it. As far as character goes...

Name: Karogg Gorefist
Race: Orc
Age: Whatever age for an Orc that would parallel a 40 year old human
Trope: Barbarian
Description: A rather normal looking Orc, all things considered. Much taller than the average human and much more heavily built. Karogg has greenish-brown skin covered with the scars of his many battles. He wears his grey hair in a tight knot on the back of his head. He wears a myriad of skins and trophies from various kills, though he leaves his chest bare. He wields two rather ornate (as ornate as tribal orcs can be) claws that are the signature weapon of the Gorefist tribe.
Personality: As the second eldest son of the chieftain, Karogg quickly developed a sense of competition growing up. He always strove to outdo his brother. His life has been full of battles and this has led to him holding a very skewed way of looking at the world. He values honor and will not kill someone needlessly...unless he's raging.

Spaceman McConaughey

This would be a good opportunity for me to put my new drawing tablet to use, I suppose.

I'm game if you guys are.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Colonel Blinx on February 01, 2014, 09:48:21 pm
This would be a good opportunity for me to put my new drawing tablet to use, I suppose.

I'm game if you guys are.

It would be great to have you join us!

@Taboo: Your character looks great. :)

@Everyone: If another person or two could make a character, I'll get things started with a main thread. I won't bother with too much of a background thread; things will flesh out as they go.

Zexion

Name: Tonla Rockcrusher
Race: Human
Idk what trope is but : Barbarian
Description: Long orange hair and fair skinned muscular build. One scar right down the middle of his chest. He has a long beard that is kinda scraggly. He wears only a small vest over his torso made of ox hide and plain cloth pants. He wields a large sword slightly resembling lightning and carries a small dagger in a holster on his leg. He wears a cape with many holes in it from gathering food and supplies for his village.

Personality: He never admits when he is wrong, but is almost always right. He is mostly silent, and very wise for his age. He has learned everything from experience and has razor sharp reflexes. He doesn't take orders from anyone but the village elder, but will always do the right thing without being told. He is brave and fearless.

Lol

WhiteRose

Quote from: Zexion on February 02, 2014, 12:29:31 am
Description: Long orange hair and fair skinned muscular build. One scar right down the middle of his chest. He has a long beard that is kinda scraggly. He wears only a small vest over his torso made of ox hide and plain cloth pants. He wields a large sword slightly resembling lightning and carries a small dagger in a holster on his leg. He wears a cape with many holes in it from gathering food and supplies for his village.

Personality: He never admits when he is wrong, but is almost always right. He is mostly silent, and very wise for his age. He has learned everything from experience and has razor sharp reflexes. He doesn't take orders from anyone but the village elder, but will always do the right thing without being told. He is brave and fearless.

Lol

Looks great! That should give me enough to get things started. I'll throw in some extra characters into the mix to flesh things out as well, of course. Anyone who wants to join, go ahead and post a character here. I'll put you in as soon as I see your sign up. :)

Taboo

Barbarian RP? Barbarian RP.

WhiteRose

February 02, 2014, 05:09:44 pm #21 Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 05:36:33 pm by WhiteRose
I'll try to get the first post up in the next day or two. I have a couple school projects that I need to finish in the next few days, but I'll try to work around them so that we can get things rolling.

UPDATE: Don't worry, I still haven't forgotten about this! Midterms are this weekend and I have a little catching up to do, so I'm a little busy, but hopefully I'll be able to get the first post up on Saturday or Sunday. The most that I can promise is one post a week, but I'm hoping that once things calm down a little we'll be able to get even more than that. :) I'll try and put together some sketches of your characters; feel free to upload your own pictures, if you'd like!

Also, on a note mostly unrelated except for the fact that it's another picture I drew, I drew a picture in the Mass Effect thread. :D

WhiteRose

Quote from: Taboo on February 01, 2014, 09:35:14 pm
We could go with option 2 and do what we have done in the past. Group chats with someone transcribing the conversation into a post. Though this was time consuming, I thoroughly enjoyed it. As far as character goes...

Description: A rather normal looking Orc, all things considered. Much taller than the average human and much more heavily built. Karogg has greenish-brown skin covered with the scars of his many battles. He wears his grey hair in a tight knot on the back of his head. He wears a myriad of skins and trophies from various kills, though he leaves his chest bare. He wields two rather ornate (as ornate as tribal orcs can be) claws that are the signature weapon of the Gorefist tribe.
Personality: As the second eldest son of the chieftain, Karogg quickly developed a sense of competition growing up. He always strove to outdo his brother. His life has been full of battles and this has led to him holding a very skewed way of looking at the world. He values honor and will not kill someone needlessly...unless he's raging.

I finished drawing your character. I wasn't quite sure where to go with the claw besides that it's ornate, so I might have gone a tiny bit over the top with all of the stabbity bits. Feel free to reject the drawing if it's not what you envision your character to look like. Haha.

Karogg Gorefist: ShowHide

Taboo

Quote from: WhiteRose on February 05, 2014, 09:00:40 pm
Quote from: Taboo on February 01, 2014, 09:35:14 pm

I finished drawing your character. I wasn't quite sure where to go with the claw besides that it's ornate, so I might have gone a tiny bit over the top with all of the stabbity bits. Feel free to reject the drawing if it's not what you envision your character to look like. Haha.

Karogg Gorefist: ShowHide

Whoa! That looks perfect! I love the look of grim determination.  8)

WhiteRose

I'm glad you like it. :D  Now I have to do Tonla, and then we should be good to get started with the actual RP.

Zexion

I chose that name because it was my runescape barbarian name haha

WhiteRose

Quote from: Zexion on February 02, 2014, 12:29:31 am

Lol

Here's Tonla. It's not nearly as good as your drawings, Zexion. I'm sure you could do a better one. But at least I gave it a try. :P

Spoiler: ShowHide

Zexion

That's actually really similar to how I imagined him. It helps that I imagined him in your style haha. You did a really good job rose :D now we can start the rp?

WhiteRose

Quote from: Zexion on February 12, 2014, 11:25:44 pm
now we can start the rp?

Yes! :D I'll get the first post up as soon as I can.

By the way, for everyone else, it's still not too late to sign up, so feel free. :)

WhiteRose

February 14, 2014, 11:49:10 pm #29 Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 02:22:44 am by WhiteRose
*Legally Double-posts*

The thread for the RP is now up! The drawings are going to be really bad, but they should give at least a tiny bit of an indication as to what is on my mind.

Here is the thread: http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php/topic,13917.0.html

EDIT: *soft and gentle bump*