Favorite Games of All Time

Started by WhiteRose, January 31, 2014, 12:32:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

January 31, 2014, 12:32:20 am Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:28:15 am by WhiteRose
On a forum with so much focus on games, I'm surprised that the last thread like this was a very, very long time ago. (2008, unless there was one that I missed in my searches.) So, I'm giving it a fresh start. Plus I like making lists. Maybe I'll put these all in a spreadsheet. Ooh, and color them according to genre. A while ago, I was playing Pokemon, and listed all of the Pokemon I caught in a spreadsheet, too. I wonder if I have a problem. *cough* Moving right along....

Post your favorite games.
  • No restrictions as to genre, platform, or so on.
  • Feel free to group games if you'd like (by series, specific numbers in a series, or whatever else.)
  • There's no requirement to rank things, as I'm awful at choosing favorites, but feel free to do so if you'd like.

I'm curious to hear what other people like to play. Maybe we'll even find some multiplayer buddies or something, or maybe discover a new game that sparks your interest. You can learn a lot about someone from their taste in games, or so the saying goes. (Okay, I admit, I made that up.)

My All-Time Favorites, in no particular order, perhaps non-inclusive in case I'm forgetting something:
    Spoiler: ShowHide

• Every single game on Chaos Project, of course!
    • Chrono Series (Trigger, Cross, and even Radical Dreamers)
    • Persona 3 and 4
    • Rock Band 3 (I loved 2 as well, but 3 is a direct upgrade.)
    • MOTHER 2 (aka Earthbound) and 3
    • Final Fantasy VI, VII, IX, and X
    • Silent Hill 2 and 3
    • Mass Effect series (finished recently and loved it, so is currently on the list. Time will tell if it will stay, but signs point to yes.)

Also Favorite, But Perhaps Not Quite As Favorite

• Super Metroid
    • Resident Evil 5 (Fond memories of local co-op with my brother. "CHAIN SAW GUY! BLUE PANTS! RUN RUN RUN! NOOOO!!!")
    • Super Mario RPG
    • Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, and SOTN
    • Resident Evil (Gamecube remake version)
    • Fatal Frame II
    • Soul Calibur IV (Main Amy and Nightmare/Siegfried - yes, I'm aware it's an unusual combination.)

Other Games That I Like But That Aren't Quite Top Favorites

• Whatever the current Pokemon flagship title happens to be
    • Oblivion (with mods to get rid of that awful level scaling) and Skyrim
    • Fallout 3 and New Vegas
    • Zelda: OoT and MM (Both excellent classics, but I can't say that I get them out to play them more than once a year or so.)
    • Final Fantasy X-2 (The entire game, particularly the story, is pretty cringeworthy, but the gameplay is surprisingly fun and it has a few good laughs.)
    • Diablo II

I'll put up more if they come to find. So, how about everyone else? What are some of your favorite games?

Zexion

I've decided to steal your template, rose.

My All-Time Favorites

• An RPG Maker game "BETA"
  • Animal Crossing New Leaf
  • Mario Party 2 & 3
  • Pokemon Sapphire
  • DBZ Games
  • KINGDOM HEARTS (omg, I almost didn't list this lmao)
  • TLOZ:Majora's Mask

Also Favorite, But Perhaps Not Quite As Favorite

• Kirby Crystal Shards (n64)
  • Wario Ware
  • Castlevania
  • Megaman Battle Network (series)

Other Games That I Like But That Aren't Quite Top Favorites

• Runescape
  • IMVU? (not really a game but still)
  • Habbo Hotel
  • Classic NES type games
  • Flash Arcade games

WhiteRose

Quote from: Zexion on January 31, 2014, 01:16:57 am

• Kirby Crystal Shards (n64)

I remember that game. :D I beat it without knowing about the secret boss, and then figured it out on my own a long time later. One of the few times that I've come across something like that without having to look it up first.

You also reminded me that I need to add a few Castlevania games to my list, as well.

ForeverZer0

• Star Ocean 2 (PS1)

• Secret of Mana (SNES)

• Final Fantasy III (SNES)(VI now...)

• Chrono Trigger (SNES)

• Skyrim (PC)

• StarCraft 2 (PC)

I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

WhiteRose

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on January 31, 2014, 02:05:24 am

• Star Ocean 2 (PS1)

When I got a PS2 a while ago, it came with a Star Ocean game - not this one, though. I don't know if I ever played more than the first couple minutes. Maybe I'll have to pick it up again if the series is good.

winkio

Multiplayer (games that I can play regularly):

• Super Smash Bros Melee

• Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

• Starcraft

Single Player (games that I really enjoyed playing):

• Sonic Adventure 2 Battle

• Metroid Prime 1, 2, & 3

• Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2

• Every Zelda game released between a Link to the Past and Skyward Sword (including both of those games)

• Kid Icarus Uprising

• Kirby Super Star

• Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

ForeverZer0

Quote from: WhiteRose on January 31, 2014, 02:18:39 am

• Star Ocean 2 (PS1)

When I got a PS2 a while ago, it came with a Star Ocean game - not this one, though. I don't know if I ever played more than the first couple minutes. Maybe I'll have to pick it up again if the series is good.

The Star Ocean made for the PS2 (Star Ocean 3, I think?) is not even close to being as good as the previous installment for the original PS in my opinion.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

R.A.V.S.O

Here´s some of mine:

SINGLE-PLAYER:  :haha:

First and foremost   ↓
-Megaman Series (except for the starforce series, I think it´s a rather limited battle network reboot)
-Mother 2 & 3
-Final Fantasy VI, (this one in particular I believe is the most solid FF entry, (IMO of course))
-Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross (this one in particular has it´s depressing moments, but it´s awesome)
-Kingdom Hearts Series (BBS-FM is my favorite out of sheer hidden boss difficulty and replay value)
-Metroid Series (even Other-M, but super metroid & Fusion will downright win by sheer awesomeness)
-Any cool-looking RPGXP project hosted here of course  ;)

MULTI-PLAYER:  :D 8) :<_<:

-Phantasy Star Online 2
(with the proper english patch, this game sometimes feels like a rather dynamic Monster Hunter, but with 12 hunters at the same time XD)
-Smash Bros Series
(I´ll PK-Fire you to death XD)
-Kid Icarus Uprising (I still think Freezing with Clubs is OP)
-Streets of Rage Remake (it´s like playing SoR 1,2 & 3 at the same time)
-Any NES/SNES game with netplay potential

Personality Test results

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

KK20

Kirby series (Super Star, Dreamland 3, and Amazing Mirror are my favorites)
Smash Bros. (didn't like Melee as much, probably because I don't own a Gamecube)
Advance Wars series (still need to play through the first one >__>)
Donkey Kong 64 (made it to K. Rool but game data got wiped--can't save anything now)
Mario RPGs (Paper Mario was my first and quite possibly my favorite)
Not-working-in-the-profession game designer games

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

WhiteRose

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on January 31, 2014, 07:24:14 am
Quote from: WhiteRose on January 31, 2014, 02:18:39 am

• Star Ocean 2 (PS1)

The Star Ocean made for the PS2 (Star Ocean 3, I think?) is not even close to being as good as the previous installment for the original PS in my opinion.

Sounds like it's time to pull out an emulator, then~!

AliveDrive

January 31, 2014, 04:46:51 pm #10 Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 04:49:23 pm by AliveDrive
I love the Mario RPGs.

Seven Stars was the first video game I bought (with my own allowence!) and my first favorite.

Clearly the genre inspired me.

EDIT:

Quote from: R.A.V.S.O.-Phantasy Star Online 2
(with the proper english patch, this game sometimes feels like a rather dynamic Monster Hunter, but with 12 hunters at the same time XD)

:o Wait, what!? I love MH.
Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

Taboo

RPGs:
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 (though if you play 2, get the TSL Restored Content Mod to play the game the way it was meant to be played)
The World Ends With You (contender for my favorite game ever)
Mother 2 & 3
Chrono Trigger (haven't had a chance to play Cross yet)
Final Fantasy III, IV, VII, and IX
Kingdoms of Amalur: The Reckoning
Dragon Age: Origins (the best RPG for role-playing that I've played)
Kingdom Hearts (specifically BBS)

Racing:
Forza 3
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Blur

Strategy:
Age Of Mythology: Gold Edition
Age of Empires 2
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (I listed them separately because they are very different)
Starcraft
Fire Emblem (almost forgot my favorite series of all time >_< I would recommend Sacred Stones (GBA), Path Of Radiance (GCN), and Awakening (3DS) for newcomers though all of them are great)

Sports:
Mario Super Strikers
NBA Street
NFL Blitz

Action:
Bastion (MUST PLAY FOR EVERYONE)
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
Metal Slug
Saints Row IV
Castlevania: Aria Of Sorrow and Symphony of the Night
Fable (I enjoyed all of them, though 1 is much more of an RPG than 2 & 3)

Stealth:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Splinter Cell

Horror:
Resident Evil 4
Dead Space 1 & 2 (haven't played 3 but I've heard that I'm not missing much)
Hospice
Condemned (though its extremely dated now, I would still recommend this to any horror lover)

WhiteRose

Quote from: Taboo on February 01, 2014, 12:21:20 pm
RPGs:
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 (though if you play 2, get the TSL Restored Content Mod to play the game the way it was meant to be played)
Mother 2 & 3

Racing:
Forza 3
Blur

Strategy:
Age of Empires 2
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (I listed them separately because they are very different)
Starcraft
Fire Emblem (almost forgot my favorite series of all time >_< I would recommend Sacred Stones (GBA), Path Of Radiance (GCN), and Awakening (3DS) for newcomers though all of them are great)

Sports:
Mario Super Strikers
NBA Street
NFL Blitz

Action:
Metal Slug
Saints Row IV

Stealth:
Splinter Cell

Horror:
Resident Evil 4
Hospice
Condemned (though its extremely dated now, I would still recommend this to any horror lover)

There are a lot of games on your list that I've heard of but never played. I'll have to go through and check them out sometime.

Taboo

February 01, 2014, 01:44:11 pm #13 Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 03:12:42 pm by Taboo
Quote from: WhiteRose on February 01, 2014, 12:54:52 pm
Quote from: Taboo on February 01, 2014, 12:21:20 pm
RPGs:
Mother 2 & 3

Racing:
Forza 3
Blur

Strategy:
Age of Empires 2
Starcraft

Sports:
Super Mario Strikers
NBA Street
NFL Blitz

Action:
Metal Slug
Saints Row IV

Stealth:
Splinter Cell

Horror:
Resident Evil 4
Hospice

There are a lot of games on your list that I've heard of but never played. I'll have to go through and check them out sometime.

I'm not sure which ones you have or haven't played, but if I had to pick one from each category:

The World Ends With You (NDS)
Mario Kart: Double Dash (GCN)
Fire Emblem (if you have a 3ds, you can't go wrong with Awakening. It is by far the best FE I've played)
Super Mario Strikers (GCN)
BASTION (PC)
Splinter Cell (Xbox)
Dead Space

Blizzard

I played Bastion and I think the narration is superb, but that's about all that is outstanding in the game.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Taboo

Quote from: Blizzard on February 01, 2014, 02:15:25 pm
I played Bastion and I think the narration is superb, but that's about all that is outstanding in the game.

For what it was (a 5 hour long indie game) I thought it was very well done. It was unique in its story telling, art direction, and even the combat, though simple, was a fresh take. The myriad of weapons each felt very unique but none of them felt useless, surprisingly. I guess my opinion may be a bit skewed, but playing it revitalized my inner gamer. The gaming industry has felt so stale lately and when I played Bastion, I was invigorated, excited even! Its rare these days that I find a game that I just can't put down, but Bastion did just that. I went in expecting a lot, because I had heard nothing but praise for the game. Usually, this leads to me being disappointed, however, Bastion still managed to surprise me. I'm not saying its without its flaws, but its definitely one of the best games I've played in a while. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Blizzard

I actually do agree with that. xD
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

R.A.V.S.O

Quote from: AliveDrive on January 31, 2014, 04:46:51 pm

well here's a little something for you to compare, don't worry about the JP interface it's fixed by the patch, basically the game mixes single player and
multiplayer, some areas can have up to 12 players at the same time, when that happens there's a high chance of bosses appearing free on the map itself
regardless of your mission or how safe it is.

P.S: Footage was taken from the closed beta, now it's free to play.

Personality Test results

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

WhiteRose

Quote from: R.A.V.S.O on February 01, 2014, 06:07:38 pm

well here's a little something for you to compare, don't worry about the JP interface it's fixed by the patch, basically the game mixes single player and
multiplayer, some areas can have up to 12 players at the same time, when that happens there's a high chance of bosses appearing free on the map itself

This looks like it might be fun to try.

Taboo

Quote from: WhiteRose on February 01, 2014, 06:30:21 pm
Quote from: R.A.V.S.O on February 01, 2014, 06:07:38 pm

This looks like it might be fun to try.

Indeed! Maybe we could try getting a CP group going for it?

WhiteRose

Sure, I would be up to giving it a try. I had Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 on the Gamecube way back in the day, and had a lot of good times with it. Maybe we should start a thread about it.

KK20

I should seriously consider getting my own desktop. Not sure if the parents' is capable of running it, but I think it can. I would consider joining up, especially if you say it's F2P.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

AliveDrive

Quote from: Blizzard on September 09, 2011, 02:26:33 am
The permanent solution for your problem would be to stop hanging out with stupid people.

WhiteRose

I've been playing FFVI again on the train since the Android version came out, and I had forgotten what I fantastic game it is. I think I missed a lot of the emotional impact when I played it through the first few times. Like the scene
when you meet up with the espers who came out from the esper world, and get them to agree to meet with the troops from the empire, and it finally looks like everything will work out - and then Kefka stabs General Leo in the back (literally) and messes everything up. That guy is seriously twisted.

And of course, the classic scenes like the Solitary Island at the beginning of the second half and the Opera House scene.... All just fantastic. 10/10.

By the way, the Android port is probably worth picking up if anyone is feeling like playing through it again. The redone graphics are actually all very well done and the UI is nice, though I will admit that it takes a while before getting used to the new character maps sprites. The facesets look great, though. Perhaps best of all, they fixed all of the bugs, even those that slipped through in the GBA version like the reset characters glitch, psycho Cyan glitch, item duplication glitch, and others.

Of course, you could always just play through the GBA version on an emulator. It's almost identical, and is cheaper *coughfreecough* if you already have an emulator on your phone.

Lobstrosity

• Final Fantasy VI

• Final Fantasy IX

• Final Fantasy Type-0

• Chrono Trigger

• LittleBigPlanet 2

Don't come any closer. I'm armed... with SCIENCE!