Best In A Certain Regard

Started by Taboo, February 01, 2014, 08:23:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Taboo

ITT: Games that do something better than any other game you've played. For example: Realism, character development, comedy, puzzle style, art style (this can be the best of any theme i.e. sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, etc) or any numerous other things. Be sure to include why, while keeping spoilers at a minimum. Go!

Character Development
The World Ends With You: ShowHide
You may not have heard of this little gem. It suffered from poor marketing in the US but still sold VERY well. It was made by Square Enix for the DS. The plot revolves around the main character, Neku, being trapped in the Reaper's Game, an alternate dimension layered onto our own where those who have recently died try for another chance at life. More than that, I can't say. However, over the course of the game, we see Neku go from being an arrogant, self-absorbed, anti-social dickbag, into a brave, thoughtful, and even friendly protagonist. And they do it well. It isn't one event that just flips the switch on his personality. You literally see it happen over the course of the entire game through the little things he says and does.

WhiteRose

Mother 3 takes the cake for being wacky and random but at the same time touching, deep and soul-searching. Fantastic game.

Blizzard

Portal 1 + 2, GLaDOS, enough said. GLaDOS's monologue is fantastic. The half-sarcastic, half-serious humor always leaves you with wanting more in a "what will she say next?!" manner. I rarely see such humor in games and I'm sure that the developers had a lot of fun writing this stuff. Pure comedy gold.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Ranquil

March 18, 2014, 05:54:37 am #3 Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:26:33 pm by Ranquil
May or may not be necroposting but I feel I really should tell about this game.

Rule of Rose for PS2 is absolutely horrible when regarding gameplay and it's not really scary at all, considering the fact it's supposed to be a horror game. However, it's atmosphere and story are very unique and pure gold. It touches subjects no one really touches in video games, like children and bullying, and all the symbolism is deliciously put everywhere in the game. Although it may seems somewhat boring for over a half of the game, the revelation near the end changes the entire perspective you look at the game.
And the last extra chapter will break your heart.
I wholeheartedly recommend this game to anyone who likes a good story! Just a tiny little spoiler for the final boss; check what else you can do with what you just got instead of the obvious.
Quote from: Some guy on FacebookLife is like a penis. It's short but it feels so long when it gets hard.

Quote from: Steven WinterburnBefore you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.