Do not download from Coolrom.

Started by Spaceman McConaughey, February 02, 2014, 03:53:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceman McConaughey

February 02, 2014, 03:53:29 pm Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:48:38 pm by Colonel Blinx
Do not download from coolrom, ever.
They forced me to use their own downloader to get a PS1 game, and it installed some fucking bad shit that makes these dumb hyperlink ads appear all over every website I visit so they can get ad revenue.

Like, really, just boycott them. I'm usually against the concept of boycotting (because I find it stupid), but this is fucking ridiculous.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention it installed something called Optimizer Pro without me knowing.
You know, one of those programs that says your computer is leaking out its ass with threats, when in reality, it's not.

Boy, I was confident I didn't need virus protection, because I now have a very good grasp of internet security.
Coolrom was one of those websites I felt was safe, but not fucking anymore! Time to get some protection on this fucking bitch.

Here is a list of alternate ROM sites you can use that are recommended by the community.

Emuparadise
* Covers just about every system except Wii and Original Xbox
* Limits parallel downloads (increases amounts and speeds if you're premium, $2 a month)
* Offers ROM packs for numerous systems
* Overall a good site

The ISO Zone
* Decent site if you're looking for Original Xbox games
* Has horribly slow and limited file host (unless you become premium, minimum $4.99 a month)

Romulation
* Good site if you're looking for Wii games
* Limits parallel downloads and speeds horribly (Unless premium, $10 a month, $20 three months, $30 six months)

The Old Computer
* Good site overall and covers a handful of systems, great place to go to for PC Abandonware
* Also offers box art, a definite plus
* Limits parallel downloads and speeds as a guest, as a free member it increases a little bit
* As an unlimited member ($10 lifetime) you get unlimited speed and 25 parallel connections and access to ROM packs and other various parts of their site

If you have any other ROM sites to suggest, feel free to. We'll check it out and add it to the list.

stripe103

Yeah I noticed it a few days ago too. Every time there is a download that requires a program to download, I go to another site for it. No good ever comes from that. The only reason they would do it is to install additional software that you don't want.

Spaceman McConaughey

February 02, 2014, 03:59:43 pm #2 Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:03:12 pm by Colonel Blinx
Yeah, I dunno.
I just assumed it'd be safe, like CNET's downloader is (it actually lets me choose to uninstall stuff, rather than installing things without me ever knowing), because I trusted Coolrom. Oh well.

Also, I've updated the original post.
Quote from: Colonel Blinx on February 02, 2014, 03:53:29 pm
EDIT:
Forgot to mention it installed something called Optimizer Pro without me knowing.
You know, one of those programs that says your computer is leaking out its ass with threats, when in reality, it's not.

Boy, I was confident I didn't need virus protection, because I now have a very good grasp of internet security.
Coolrom was one of those websites I felt was safe, but not fucking anymore! Time to get some protection on this fucking bitch.

Zexion

Did this just happen? o.o that's actually where I get everything lol

Spaceman McConaughey

I dunno when they brought in the downloader, but I wanted to get a PS1 game, and it was the only option (maybe I missed the other one, I dunno).

Download this, I dare you:
http://coolrom.com/roms/psx/39539/Pac-Man_World.php

Just watch how unbearable your internet browsing becomes.

Zexion

Click the link under DOWNLOAD NOW. It says "Alternative download link (with ads and timer)" it is the original way to download files. I guess they must have changed it up, but for now that is still there

Spaceman McConaughey

February 02, 2014, 04:13:43 pm #6 Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:16:42 pm by Colonel Blinx
At this point, that is entirely irrelevant, and I hope that is not a defense of their shittiness.

This is inexcusable, especially after what they said about it on their FAQ:
QuoteOur downloader is an executable program that makes your download process much faster (by directly downloading the file and accelerating download speed) and ensures the file is virus-free. In order for us to continue providing the best emulation experience, we may show you sponsored offers prior to the download step.

Keep using them if you want, but seriously?
They said it'd ensure the file is virus-free, yet I GOT VIRUSES.
Also, what the fuck? It's downloading the same exact file that's on their servers, just in a different way... how in the fuck would the amount of viruses attached to it be any different?
Really, somebody, anybody, explain this to me. I do not understand.

What it looks like to me, is that they're trying to bait people into getting adware on their systems.
I am never going to support their stupid asses ever again.

Zexion

I think that the virus comes from the installer itself and not the rom. Therefor downloading it from the alternate link is safer. I do agree that it is dumb of them to "ensure the file is virus-free" yet inject a virus anyway, buuuut cool rom has tons of roms and I'm pretty used to it so meh

Spoiler: ShowHide
Btw, I didn't caps DOWNLOAD NOW to be a douche :P I just did it because it is actually all capitol lol

Spaceman McConaughey

February 02, 2014, 04:25:38 pm #8 Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:27:07 pm by Colonel Blinx
Quote from: Zexion on February 02, 2014, 04:21:58 pm
I think that the virus comes from the installer itself and not the rom.

I know it came from the downloader, I was just questioning their stupid logic on the FAQ page.

That's my entire point about boycotting their asses, really:
When looking at the FAQ entry, it becomes blatantly obvious that they're purposely baiting people into getting adware installed onto their computers, so damn-near every link they click brings them to some virus-ridden website. All for what, ad revenue? That is shady. That is dirty. That is despicable.

Also, I know you weren't trying to be a douche. If I came off as being mad at you, I'm sorry. :)
Really, it wasn't my intention. Just a tad bit irritated with this coolrom thing, even if I have wiped the shit they sprayed all over my computer.

WhiteRose

I hate websites that do this. Definitely awful. The worst is if they make it a big pain to get rid of the virus software stuff once its on your computer.

Spaceman McConaughey

Yeah, seriously. It's annoying.

Thankfully, I just had to install malwarebytes, run a scan, and remove the threats.
Bam, gone. No more ad revenue going coolrom's way from me... those fucking assholes.

Blizzard

I think that Internet advertising has become quite ridiculous. Not only have I sometimes looked baffled at the screen for a minute until I figured out WHICH of the 20 goddamn "DOWNLOAD HERE" texts was the actual download link and then said "fuck this shit" and found another site to download, but I have also encountered downloaders that install shit on your PC without you knowing. It's horrible.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zexion

http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.coolrom.com

Yeah I think everyone is mad about this o.o

Edit: Also, might wanna change your passwords on social media lol

Spaceman McConaughey

February 02, 2014, 04:34:57 pm #13 Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:53:25 pm by Colonel Blinx
I agree.

Quote from: Blizzard on February 02, 2014, 04:32:59 pm
but I have also encountered downloaders that install shit on your PC without you knowing.

And now coolrom's downloader joins the list.
Even when I was about to download the ROM, it presented "optional" downloads to me, and I said no to them.
And in return, I got, well... you all read the topic.

Quote from: Zexion on February 02, 2014, 04:34:48 pm
http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.coolrom.com

Yeah I think everyone is mad about this o.o

Yeah, I was on there earlier to see if my problems could be traced back to the coolrom downloader.
I was correct.

EDIT:
So, yeah, I'm going to make an opinion/rant video on it eventually.
Here's the one I did on King.com trademarking the word candy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5tp3aC19x4

EDIT 2:
Good God!
Turns out the shit they installed prevented my portable HDD from being recognized by Windows, as well.

After wiping away their pestilence, it now works! Thank fucking God...

Holyrapid

February 08, 2014, 10:55:37 am #14 Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 10:59:10 am by Holyrapid
Unless it was a PS2 or PS1 game or i wanted to download a pack of games at once from torrent (torrenting ISO files is much faster at least for me than DDL) and i mostly got my stuff from CR... I guess no more if they have viruses and adware and other shit like that.

If the sitejabber link is anything to go by, the daware installation etc. came to be between October and December...

Holyrapid

Since CR still has this shit going on over a month since the thread was started, and i honestly had no expectations of them removing it, what would be a good site to get the roms from? Or should i stick to torrents... I hear emuparadise often cited as a good site, but for some reason i've never quite liked their sites design at least, and they have dozens (ok, that may be exaggerating it for the most part) of unneeded downloads for the same game. I get regional stuff, but when there's two or three of the basically same... I dunno... Seems somewhat dubious to me... :/

Blizzard

I have had no problems with emuparadise so far, but it's been a while since I downloaded something from them.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

Emuparadise is great and while I don't usually pay for premium, it's only a measly 2 dollars a month and you get up to 10 parallel downloads and unlimited download speed. But before the bashing goes on or anything, you know cool rom offers alternative downloads, right?

It's right under the "Download Now" and the ad is only 10-15 seconds. Just downloaded a PSX ROM from them just now because I couldn't find it on Emuparadise. Just don't buy into their whole "virus free" shit. Because it doesn't make any sense for them to be hosting a file and then telling people "it may contain viruses but if you download it through a secondary program there won't be any viruses".

WhiteRose

Quote from: Blizzard on March 07, 2014, 04:06:09 pm
I have had no problems with emuparadise so far, but it's been a while since I downloaded something from them.

Emuparadise is usually my go-to site as well.

G_G

If anyone is looking for Wii ISOs, however, Emuparadise isn't a great place. I recommend romulation.net, but other than that, Emuparadise should have just about everything you need. (Other than OG Xbox ISOs, which most sites don't seem to have).