Do not download from Coolrom.

Started by Spaceman McConaughey, February 02, 2014, 03:53:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceman McConaughey

March 10, 2014, 02:09:28 pm #20 Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:16:10 pm by Colonel Blinx
Quote from: gameus on March 07, 2014, 10:00:13 pm
(Other than OG Xbox ISOs, which most sites don't seem to have).

Sadly (and I seriously mean this is sad), The ISO Zone is the best place to get OG Xbox ISOs.
I hate that website... downloads are sooooo slow. Oh well.

EDIT:

Quote from: gameus on March 07, 2014, 04:32:22 pm
But before the bashing goes on or anything, you know cool rom offers alternative downloads, right?

I think most of us know that, and it was even discussed up above. :P

I'm going to say it again:
If they are willing to bait people into using their downloader so they can infect their computer with viruses and shit just so they can get ad revenue, they do not deserve any traffic from anybody at all. Yes, the alternative download link exists, but nobody should even bother using it.

For fuck's sake, people, just go use one of the many better sites out there that do not try to trick you into getting a virtual STD so they can fill their wallets.

Crasger

While we're on that specific topic, which ROM site is the best, nowadays?

Emuparadise? As they were all saying earlier, at least. NES roms, to be specific.
Man, I miss when CoolROM wasn't like that. I really do wonder what drove them to that dangerous move. It really fucking sucks.

Josey

Quote from: Crasger on April 17, 2014, 06:03:48 am
While we're on that specific topic, which ROM site is the best, nowadays?

I still use the same site that I have always used and they have no download scripts, no voting and no advertising anywhere on the site.  It has to be the best kept secret around.  http://www.theoldcomputer.com has more roms and emulators than any site I have visited but they do sometimes suffer from download speed.  That said I loved coolrom before this change was made, now I agree that the adverts and download scripts have buggered it up.  :roll:

Tazero

Quote from: Colonel Blinx on February 02, 2014, 03:59:43 pm
Yeah, I dunno.
I just assumed it'd be safe, like CNET's downloader is (it actually lets me choose to uninstall stuff, rather than installing things without me ever knowing), because I trusted Coolrom. Oh well.

Also, I've updated the original post.
Quote from: Colonel Blinx on February 02, 2014, 03:53:29 pm
EDIT:
Forgot to mention it installed something called Optimizer Pro without me knowing.
You know, one of those programs that says your computer is leaking out its ass with threats, when in reality, it's not.

Boy, I was confident I didn't need virus protection, because I now have a very good grasp of internet security.
Coolrom was one of those websites I felt was safe, but not fucking anymore! Time to get some protection on this fucking bitch.

You do realize (This was my problem) They grey out the Decline on all the software they install so it seems like you can only accept but I clicked DECLINE D:< and nothing new for me o-o;;

If you were a fish...

Crasger

April 18, 2014, 06:31:21 am #24 Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:41:59 pm by Crasger
Quote from: Josey on April 17, 2014, 08:15:51 am
 http://www.theoldcomputer.com has more roms and emulators than any site I have visited but they do sometimes suffer from download speed.  

Went there, it looks cool and trustworthy, has tons of things I was looking for (and then some). But CoolROM kept things organized though, it was a bit confusing to navigate at first, with that giant clickable image telling me to donate to have a premium membership. If only CoolROM hadn't made that dreadful change.

Also, apparently a friend of mine used the download manager and didn't get anything bad from it. He still trusts CoolROM and thinks his laptop (of which is recently broken down due to a broken charger and him overclocking it) is virus free. Fool. It's not really about whether or not he gets a virus, but as the OP said: "Sites like that don't deserve the traffic. "

Spaceman McConaughey

April 22, 2014, 01:54:19 pm #25 Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:49:52 pm by Colonel Blinx

Crasger

April 22, 2014, 10:33:31 pm #26 Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:52:55 pm by Crasger
Needs more views.

The people need to be well-informed about this situation!

WhiteRose

Quote from: Colonel Blinx on April 22, 2014, 01:54:19 pm
demand rose

You demand me? D:

On topic: Definitely a worth-while video; I'll send some views your way if I find anyone who asks about ROM sites. :)

KK20

I'm hoping my teacher in Computing Ethics decides to have a discussion on this issue. I've written a suggestion to him along with searching "CoolROM virus" for further information.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: Crasger on April 22, 2014, 10:33:31 pm
Needs more views.

The people need to be well-informed about this situation!

Thanks. :D

And yeah, I agree.

Quote from: WhiteRose on April 23, 2014, 05:08:41 am
Quote from: Colonel Blinx on April 22, 2014, 01:54:19 pm
demand rose

You demand me? D:

On topic: Definitely a worth-while video; I'll send some views your way if I find anyone who asks about ROM sites. :)

YEAH, I DEMAND YOU. :V:

Thanks, I'd really appreciate it. :D

Quote from: KK20 on April 23, 2014, 11:55:45 am
I'm hoping my teacher in Computing Ethics decides to have a discussion on this issue. I've written a suggestion to him along with searching "CoolROM virus" for further information.

That'd be a worthwhile discussion, as there's some seriously fucked up ethics at play here.
Should let us know how that turns out. :D

G_G

After checking with Branden, I went ahead and added a few alternative sites for people to go to instead of Cool ROMs. Listing a couple of details for each.

Crasger

Where is that aforementioned list placed, gameus?

Ryex

he edited it into the first post.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

WhiteRose

Quote from: gameus on April 23, 2014, 12:21:49 pm
After checking with Branden, I went ahead and added a few alternative sites for people to go to instead of Cool ROMs. Listing a couple of details for each.

Awesome suggestions. Good thinking, GG!

moisesnake

this is the first post i read and it was interesting cause i recently started getting roms for gba/gbc and the app on my ipad directly links me to it but i never actually downloaded it there because the public library's network blocks it

woop joined the forum ಠ_ಠ
Stiring the bowlಠ_ಠ

moisesnake

This post brought me to the Chaos Project
Stiring the bowlಠ_ಠ

Spaceman McConaughey

MindOnFire

I normally wouldn't post in a dead thread (though I basically have been a dead member for awhile now... college, the loss of my hard drive, and some other stuff got me out of RPG maker for a long time) but I thought people might like to know that Coolroms never got rid of the old download method and are still completely safe to use. You scroll down to a slightly smaller text link that says "Alternative Download Link" and it brings up the popup window where you can download your rom the traditional way. Figured this out very quickly as I refuse to use their installer as well. So, yeah. The site's completely fine.
Then.
Now.
Forever.

Ryex

Thats not the point, The site goes out of it's way to direct you through their downloader as they intentionally make the alternate link much less visible. This is a deceptive practice and the arguments is that the deception makes them unworthy of anyones support.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />