Rose's Super Low-Key Social Thread

Started by WhiteRose, September 29, 2013, 01:30:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

Hi. I'm sorry that I haven't been around much. School started, and then I got a job, so I've been really busy. Which is actually where the problem comes in - because I do programming for work and school, I spend almost literally all day every day either in class or in my apartment. I've been afraid to get on CP because I'll accidentally commit time that I don't have to spare, so I've been pretty scarce....
But I'm really lonely. :( My roommates aren't around very often, so I don't get to talk to people much. So, with this thread, I'm hoping to have a little social window that I can visit sometimes to chat with people without any sort of commitment.

That sounds kind of pathetic, huh? Haha.

tl;dr: I just want to talk. How is everyone doing?

winkio

First: join the skype group, it directly solves this problem :D

I am doing well.  I'm finding time to work on Blizz-ABS, start my research project for my masters thesis, play soccer, and hang out with my lab group all on top of classes, so I'm pretty happy with my schedule.  My roommate is getting on my nerves, because he is really into singing/songwriting, and although he uses headphones, I can hear him pressing the keys on his keyboard quite loudly at all hours of the day and night.  On top of that, he is pretty messy, and I have to do 99% of the cleaning.  Besides that, we mostly stay out of each others way and get along well in person, so hopefully the next year won't be too bad.  I definitely intend to get a single room as soon as possible though.

What about you?  How many more years until your degree?  Do you know what you want to do after school yet?

PhoenixFire

I know what you mean haha.. Sometimes I'm not on here for a bit for the same type of reason, and even when I do log in, all I do is check messages quickly. I'm actually trying to find a job, so that's what takes up most of my time nowadays. I'm actually interested to know if you have decided what you want to do once you obtain your degree as well. Has it changed since you first started towards getting it?
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Blizzard

September 29, 2013, 09:44:54 am #3 Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:45:55 am by Blizzard
Winkio already said it, the Skype group will solve half your problem. Whenever you feel lonely, just drop a message there. Usually at least one other person is online.

I'm great. Work at Cateia's good, having fun in life, I'm about to finish King of Booze for iOS, etc. So it's great as always with me. :)
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zexion

I've been the same way rose with the lonely and busy thing, but I have a lot of time on the weekends lol...and I spend it all by myself ._.
No worries rose, as long as CP is here it doesn't matter if you visit it all the time. I've been gone for months on end and then come back as if I never left lol. You should get pen pals :P you could write to each other and mail it haha then you would have something to look forward to

WhiteRose

Quote from: winkio on September 29, 2013, 03:30:16 am
First: join the skype group, it directly solves this problem :D

I am doing well.  I'm finding time to work on Blizz-ABS, start my research project for my masters thesis, play soccer, and hang out with my lab group all on top of classes, so I'm pretty happy with my schedule.  My roommate is getting on my nerves, because he is really into singing/songwriting, and although he uses headphones, I can hear him pressing the keys on his keyboard quite loudly at all hours of the day and night.  On top of that, he is pretty messy, and I have to do 99% of the cleaning.  Besides that, we mostly stay out of each others way and get along well in person, so hopefully the next year won't be too bad.  I definitely intend to get a single room as soon as possible though.

What about you?  How many more years until your degree?  Do you know what you want to do after school yet?

I'll have to keep the Skype group in mind. I used to use MSN a lot, but I haven't pulled it out for a while. Maybe I'll make a Skype and join you. Actually, I think I can just sign in with my Microsoft email thing, right? I'll give that a try sometime.

I know what you mean with the roommate trouble. So far I've avoided bad roommates, but it's something that I've always dreaded. That's why I'm in a single room this year - four single rooms to one "apartment," with a kitchen and a couple of bathrooms. It's nice to have a little bit of personal space, though of course the trade off is that it's a little smaller and a little more pricey.

This is technically my junior year, because of credits from high school, but because I still need to complete quite a few classes for my major, it's really more like my sophomore year. After I graduate, I think it would be fun to go into programming. I know I'm not very good at it yet, but that's what the classes are for, right? Haha. I love programming when I understand it, but when there's something that I can't get to work the way that I'd like, it's really frustrating. I particularly think game programming would be a lot of fun, but there probably aren't as many open positions that are specifically in the gaming industry.

Quote from: DigitalSoul on September 29, 2013, 09:17:29 am
I know what you mean haha.. Sometimes I'm not on here for a bit for the same type of reason, and even when I do log in, all I do is check messages quickly. I'm actually trying to find a job, so that's what takes up most of my time nowadays. I'm actually interested to know if you have decided what you want to do once you obtain your degree as well. Has it changed since you first started towards getting it?

I've always kind of been on the programming track (when I was really little, I wanted to be a doctor, but that was a really, really long time ago. Haha.) I didn't have any trouble choosing Computer Science for my major, and haven't ever thought about changing it. Of course, there's always the chance that I'll get sick of it and look into other things. Who knows?

Quote from: Blizzard on September 29, 2013, 09:44:54 am
Winkio already said it, the Skype group will solve half your problem. Whenever you feel lonely, just drop a message there. Usually at least one other person is online.

I'm great. Work at Cateia's good, having fun in life, I'm about to finish King of Booze for iOS, etc. So it's great as always with me. :)

I always try to keep in mind your advice to stop being sad and be awesome instead. :P I'll have to give the Skype group a try - it sounds like it might be a good way to keep in touch with people without being too much of a time sink.

Quote from: Zexion on September 29, 2013, 02:42:42 pm
I've been the same way rose with the lonely and busy thing, but I have a lot of time on the weekends lol...and I spend it all by myself ._.
No worries rose, as long as CP is here it doesn't matter if you visit it all the time. I've been gone for months on end and then come back as if I never left lol. You should get pen pals :P you could write to each other and mail it haha then you would have something to look forward to

That's a good idea. Maybe I'll find someone with whom to write back and forth. :)

Vlash

The Skype group thing is a very good idea. I'm in a group of my own, and I literally just log-in, send a message or two, then log-off the next. If you don't got too much time, then their group'll be perfect for you.

And since you mentioned MSN, yeah, you can just log-in using your MSN account (and Windows Live Messenger is gone anyways, so Skype is the only way to IM with that account now).

KK20

My time on CP directly correlates to the number of new posts generated in a day. I usually don't log on unless I see someone asking for help or something interesting to respond to.

Despite only taking 3 classes this semester (and only on Monday and Wednesday), I'm finding myself spending too much time seeking entertainment on the Internet rather than working on my 5+ projects (school and non-school related).
QuoteThis is technically my junior year, because of credits from high school, but because I still need to complete quite a few classes for my major, it's really more like my sophomore year.

Computer Science is just swamped with classes compared to other majors. I know these feelings all too much. Can't help but regret some of the class choices I've made. Gonna graduate with like 150 units >__>
QuoteI love programming when I understand it, but when there's something that I can't get to work the way that I'd like, it's really frustrating.

It's apparently a meme at my school that making bugs and solving them are extremely stressful (e.g. "99 bugs in the program for class, 99 bugs on the screen; fix a line, compile again, 101 bugs in the program for class"). I kinda feel like the odd one out since bug crushing is what I do best.
QuoteI particularly think game programming would be a lot of fun, but there probably aren't as many open positions that are specifically in the gaming industry.

I'm sticking with software engineering since I've been hearing a lot of news about the game making industry, mainly that it's super competitive. When it comes to making games, I'd like to actually be a part of the design process and put my ideas in, not given a list and told "This is what I want made." I'll keep it as a hobby instead, but who knows what may lie down the road? For sure, I'd like to get an internship at some game development company.

Which reminds me, I really need to start applying for a computer-related job. I was reluctant to try and apply for anything because I thought my skills wouldn't be enough. But I feel way more confident with my programming now--unlike 80-90% of my peers.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Ryex

Quote from: KK20 on September 30, 2013, 02:27:52 am
QuoteThis is technically my junior year, because of credits from high school, but because I still need to complete quite a few classes for my major, it's really more like my sophomore year.

Computer Science is just swamped with classes compared to other majors. I know these feelings all too much. Can't help but regret some of the class choices I've made. Gonna graduate with like 150 units >__>

I'm in this unfortunate situation too cept in my case it's because I switched majors form engineering.

QuoteI love programming when I understand it, but when there's something that I can't get to work the way that I'd like, it's really frustrating.

It's apparently a meme at my school that making bugs and solving them are extremely stressful (e.g. "99 bugs in the program for class, 99 bugs on the screen; fix a line, compile again, 101 bugs in the program for class"). I kinda feel like the odd one out since bug crushing is what I do best.

I know that feeling. I'm great at debugging. the only time I every have problems and get frustrated is when I can't get an accurate stack trace and have to go in and add print lines to find the source, and even then I'm more frustrated because it takes so much time not because it's hard and I can't figure it out.

QuoteI particularly think game programming would be a lot of fun, but there probably aren't as many open positions that are specifically in the gaming industry.

I'm sticking with software engineering since I've been hearing a lot of news about the game making industry, mainly that it's super competitive. When it comes to making games, I'd like to actually be a part of the design process and put my ideas in, not given a list and told "This is what I want made." I'll keep it as a hobby instead, but who knows what may lie down the road? For sure, I'd like to get an internship at some game development company.

Which reminds me, I really need to start applying for a computer-related job. I was reluctant to try and apply for anything because I thought my skills wouldn't be enough. But I feel way more confident with my programming now--unlike 80-90% of my peers.

^^ I'm going to be searching pretty hard to find an internship this summer. I don't think I can stand to do another summer at my normal place.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

KK20

Quote from: Ryex on October 01, 2013, 01:24:41 am
I know that feeling. I'm great at debugging. the only time I every have problems and get frustrated is when I can't get an accurate stack trace and have to go in and add print lines to find the source, and even then I'm more frustrated because it takes so much time not because it's hard and I can't figure it out.

lol but I mean like the really easy stuff. Things like "Why does my algorithm for checking for a winner in Connect Four not work?" and "Why can't I load data from files into string arrays?" A lot of the people here have absolutely no background in computer science--they mainly took it because they figured it would get them a high paying job. Everyone complains how hard the compilers and X86-64 classes are when it has been nothing but logical sense to me.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Diamond Star

Hello
I'm new here and hope to be a friendwith Whiterose and all others here
I read some Whiterose's topics and like them ,and feel that here in this site I'll find that friend or even friends that I have look for, and start to discover that this site is more than just game developing site
it's actually a communication where you can meet real friends
I have many dreams and look for who understand me and help me to achieve them