Kingdom Hearts: Age of Guardians

Started by Zexion, February 16, 2014, 05:24:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Zexion

February 16, 2014, 05:24:17 am Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 04:41:21 am by Zexion

Spoiler: ShowHide
    Ten years have past since Xehanort's Keyblade War spread darkness across the land. A war where the will of seven guardians of light changed the destiny of the worlds forever. The seven guardians decided to form a world of warriors like them, to serve and protect the order of light. These guardians are trained in combat and ready to defend the worlds at a moments notice. They travel across the lands maintaining the peace in every world.
  In this story, you can take the role of three characters. Choose to go it alone as Aireus, or in a team as Bit and Lilly. Explore several new worlds including selections from the Nintendo, Disney, and Final Fantasy universes. Complete goals for trophies and unlockables in mirage arena.

Unlike my previous attempts at the game, Kingdom Hearts: Age of Guardians is my first real attempt at completing a game. I have goals to meet on a bi-monthly basis. It allows for plenty of slacking off while still maintaining results. I've decided to post this project seeing as how the first two months have been such a huge success. I've completed almost every task so far except the last few.

So as I mentioned before, I have bi-monthly tasks to meet. I will update this list as needed!
January&February: ShowHide
Player HUD
Ally HUD * Need to fix minor hp update error for ally 3.

Enemy HUD * Don't have enemies to test yet XD
Command HUD * All graphics done. Need to implement command system next.
Main Menu
Items Menu

Commands Menu * Might be pushed to another month because I haven't made any "Commands" yet.
Status Menu
Party Menu

Journal Menu
Options Menu * Removed. Options no longer needed.
Save Menu
Load Menu
World Select Menu
Save Points A & B
Character Concept
Character Art

Character Title Art
World Logos * Pushed to later on due to being indecisive on which worlds are included.

KK20 & LittleDrago for Custom Resolution & Various Script Fixes
Terv for Kiss Engine Tutorial
Gameus for Original Wave class
Unknown Author for Screen Blur script

Ranquil

Good luck for the project! You have my support! :)

Just one thing. The map in the second screenshot... Is the shape of the map supposed to be an ellipse or a circle? If the latter, it should be shaped like a circle since a perspective like this doesn't render it to an ellipse unless the sprites get bigger or smaller depending on which side of the map they are. :)
Quote from: Some guy on FacebookLife is like a penis. It's short but it feels so long when it gets hard.

Quote from: Steven WinterburnBefore you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

WhiteRose

This looks great, Zexion! I really like your idea of having bi-monthly task goals. That's a good way to keep yourself motivated and let people know what to expect from on-going development.

Zexion

Thanks guys!
Quote from: Ranquil on February 16, 2014, 03:09:34 pm
Is the shape of the map supposed to be an ellipse or a circle? If the latter, it should be shaped like a circle since a perspective like this doesn't render it to an ellipse unless the sprites get bigger or smaller depending on which side of the map they are. :)

Well it's supposed to be a circle, but you're right about the perspective thing. I've thought about it before and I mainly shrank it because it was too much space for the player to run across. The whole idea of the map itself is still pretty much under construction though, so nothing is final :P

Quote from: WhiteRose on February 16, 2014, 03:17:30 pm
That's a good way to keep yourself motivated and let people know what to expect from on-going development.

That's actually exactly why I'm doing it!

KK20

It begins...

...and I eagerly await its appearance.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Zexion

Took several attempts, but I've (almost) finished the ally HUD.

There is a small problem with the third allies HP not updating at the appropriate time, so I removed the third ally from the startup. Other than that the script currently supports two allies. That's all it needs because you will only use three of the four party members in battle.

Neoend

Hey Zexion it's looking great! You're setting the story after the events of KH3 right?
And hey any chance at a sneak peak on what worlds you're thinking of including?
Hey! if you like webcomics and other fun distractions check out my site:
www.laforix.com

Zexion

Original Post: ShowHide
Quote from: Neoend on February 21, 2014, 07:04:59 pm
Hey Zexion it's looking great! You're setting the story after the events of KH3 right?
And hey any chance at a sneak peak on what worlds you're thinking of including?

Yes and yes :P
I'm only guessing at the moment what kh3 will end like, but either way it has nothing to do with the xehanort saga other than the result. (E.g Terra Aqua Ventus Roxas and Xion comming back or not) I've decided to bring them all back now though haha.

Also, next month I will be deciding on which worlds will actually be in the game. I know that Zelda is a sure thing. Other than that, I'm not 100% on any worlds. Also, I will be posting some screens of the worlds I'm working on next month. Nothing too spoilerish but yeah.

Okay, so it took me a while to plan the main menu out because the way I was doing it before was very inextensible, it would take a lot more script than needed to accomplish anything in that manor. I spent a few days thinking and I realised even the graphics were kinda limiting me by confining me to be exactly like Kingdom Hearts. I decided to re-write and re-do the graphics in a way that both fits the game and allows for me to be very lazy :P
Main Missing Faces: ShowHide

As you can see, there are a lot more features in the menu now. It may seem like added work, and it is, but the script itself is way easier to manage now and everything can be read and edited easily.

Zexion

Legal double post! :P

Okay, so I finally had some time to get working on this again. I updated the first post, and as you can see by my task list, I have completed almost everything from the first two months! The main reason I didn't complete those last few is the lack of a battle system. I can't really design a menu for something that doesn't yet exist XD. Anywho, I am now on to the next two months of tasks. I will update a complete list tomorrow! For now, here are some smaller things I was working on.

A few new graphics: ShowHide

Cool map transition: ShowHide

Snazzy Loading Screen: ShowHide

OH, one last thing! You may have noticed the plethora of random people following me in the screenshots. The game is now COMPLETELY ONLINE! ._. Nah, jk. Good news though, they are from an ABS that I am in the process of editing to my needs. So finally, a battlesystem is in the works!

Okay, last thing for reals. Anyone notice that my project already has 400+ views in a pretty short time o.o power of the heart, okay now -end 3am rambling

WhiteRose

I think the transition screen looks really cool. Can't wait to see the new battle system!

locowhiteknight

Hey Zexion, the project is looking really good so far. Keep up the good work!
"Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?"

Zexion

Thanks for the compliments!
I've been working on the design for the castle of guardians, not sure if I like that name for it, but anywho. In the process I wrote out part of the introduction and I think that I might be able to put a pretty decent length demo out by the summer, or near the end of summer. The whole introduction takes place in the castle and has minimal battles. The battles that do occur have small tasks such as using the S button to attack, or learning to scroll through commands, etc. So, even if the battle system is still in progress, a good size demo will probably still be possible. I estimate around 15-30 minutes of gameplay!

For the introduction, the player will be asked to complete their entry exams before they can enter the castle of guardians. They must pass six small tests each held by the masters of the castle, (Terra, Aqua, Ventus, Sora, Riku, Kairi). The exams consist of small puzzles and challenges such as making your way through a maze with flying debris while wearing armour that slows you down to improve strength, to hopping through clouds to improve your speed. Though the players result will always be the same, each character has a different outcome, and this is where the game starts. You will learn about the battle system in the process, but like I said, don't expect any major battles.

KK20

Hype: ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Steady progress still looking good! Looking forward to how you implement your battle system.

Other Projects

Zexion

March 08, 2014, 05:07:20 pm #13 Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:51:59 am by Zexion
Original Post:
Heh, I'm actually going to work on it a lot this week :P Unless I make plans or something with friends. As of now though, I am in my cave commencing the hibernation.

Edit 1:
I've been re-doing some of the things I already had done, but looked ugly. One of which was the save point, which I am finally satisfied with. Added some new animations to it, and the player now glows while healing.

Not the most major update, but it's cool. I'm doing a rewrite of the save-file scene which is more than a little messy, and get's unnecessarily complicated in code. It is also, extremely difficult to make any changes to it at the moment which gets annoying. I change one thing and I have to fix tons of errors lol.

Also on the list for tonight, I will be finishing the entrance to the castle which is now (very originally) titled "Castle in the Sky". Afterwards, I will be sketching the next few maps which include the town located below the castle :P I will call it "Town on the Ground". Nah jk, It's unnamed but it will include a few shops, houses with a few familiar/cameo npcs, and *beautiful* (hopefully) scenery. Will also host "the games" which all characters "participate" in before going to the castle. In reality, it will be a few short cutscenes, that show that all 3 main characters are good enough to enter the castle. I will also be drawing the world logo, and the "name logo" that appears the first time you visit a place.

Edit 2:
Alright, I've updated the topic now. It now looks snazzy. Also, finished the logo! (I don't know why I put it off for so long haha.) Everything is starting to look good here in mah little project thread.

WhiteRose

It's looking awesome, Zexion! This is starting to become one of those RMXP games that makes me really impressed with what it's capable of doing. It looks great!

Zexion

Okay, so earlier today, I was messing with the save files because I wanted to change a few small things with it. Mainly, I wanted it to use the same template as the main menu rather than the old version I had before, so I was rewriting it and changing graphics. Somehow, at somepoint, I managed to delete the entire script. ._. I have no idea what the heck I did but it was gone. I checked my dropbox version of the game, which I thought I had done recently, and NO, the earliest one was a few weeks back, and the script was at the point before making edits which fixed some errors in it.

Rather than spending time trying to fix the ugly code, I just decided to rewrite the dang thing. It was quite a set back but it's getting there. I've decided to go for a more PSP type save menu, so that I can call it without worrying how menus will react after using it. I've gotta say, I think I like this more than the original version. No combat updates for tonight, not until I finish the dang save and load scenes. But I did develop a story for the game, which I sent to a few people on different sites to get read and advised. I think it's pretty solid as it allows for fleshing out in several directions. Hopefully I can get back on track soon!

KK20

nuuuuuu....my assistance with your bugged save file has blown away in the wind...

I like that style a lot actually. Someone's been too hard at work lately.
How are your grades? :V:

Other Projects

Zexion

March 11, 2014, 01:26:51 am #17 Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 03:45:41 pm by Zexion
Original Post: ShowHide
Haha my grades are fine. I'm not exactly going out of my way to get an A, like I should, but I have A's for now lol so no worries. I am also on spring break, so it's all good for this week.

Edited: ShowHide
Okay, so not the most major updates so far, but I made some concept sprites for Bane and Lilly.

[spoiler=Concept Sprites]
[/center]
As you can see, bit (now named bane) has undergone a nice change, and lilly's sprite is now started. Yay, lol.

I also finished working on the new event/script based messaging system. It's a very small edit to dubealex's which lets me justify text to one side, and then I evented the faces/background in.

Messaging System: ShowHide

Edit 2:
I was surfin the net, and then all of the sudden, the reason why I was having animation problems with my battle system hit me. I went to the old evented battle system, and sure enough, it was fixed! Now I can go back to eventing the ABS. YAAAY. Also, I made an example attack while I was at it. Note: The animations look wierd in the video, but they all line up in game.

Zexion

I managed to get mode 7 to work with all my scripts, and with a few edits, even my animation script. I'm thinking about using it in battles and certain worlds for added fun. It's also worth noting that I'm working all this on an old project, just to test things out. I will move it to the current project when I get things at the level I want them.

Gif of Fight: ShowHide

G_G

Awesome fucking job. Can't wait to see it! :3