Side Scroller or no?

Started by Shalaren, March 07, 2014, 02:09:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Shalaren

Ok putting the difficulty of making a Side-Scroller with our beloved RPG maker programs aside, would changing my game into a Side-Scroller be a bad Idea? (yes I know it's my choice, but I'm torn apart when trying to answer this question, so I would like some opinions).

I have been having a hard time motivating myself to finish my game... right now I have a lot going on in my life so I don't get much time to work on it, and when I do get time to be on the computer I mostly rather watch something or play something because, when working on my game for a little, 30 minutes turn into 2 hours. Don't get me wrong, I love working on my game which I am sure a lot of you would agree with me that there is just something exciting when you bring an idea that's been in your head to life. A week ago I wanted to post the progress I've made on my game and realized it was not much at all! its been more then a month and just nothing interesting I could show off! and I now understand that my expectations are far too high. I work on this game ALONE so I need to start cutting some of the work I need to do on it, and make it easier for one person to complete... and that way I could notice a considerable amount of progress coming through.

So I started cutting down the features I wanted the game to have and some maps, and even characters, and then my friend suggested, "why not make a Side-Scroller?"... you see, a side scroller would mean, designing the maps would be so much easier... you really just gotta design left and right, and that means the maps and the Character sets... (for some Npc's you just gotta design the way the look no need to animate them... and then put them on the map) that might sound like a lazy thing of me to say, but really is it? I'm just going to continue working on a story and game with just a little different light to it. ANYWAY I don't want to make this too long... I made a quick map in Sidescroller format to try it out and see what it looks like (I even made some character) so I will put the not Sidescroller screenshot and the Sidescroller screenshot...

what do you think, should I go Sidescroller and finally make it easier on one person? what's your opinion on side scrollers in general? do you have any better suggestions or ideas? please let me know :)

THIS IS MY GAME CURRENTLY
Spoiler: ShowHide

THIS IS THE SIDESCROLLER MOCK UP
Spoiler: ShowHide

Zexion

I understand you D: I have been in the exact spot. Unless you are willing to put the time in to learning how to do everything from scripting to music, is say do anything that can help you at your current level. Since it's not a fan game, it's really up to you and what you think would better suit the game. Making a side scroller would definatrly ease the heavy load of graphics.

KK20

I don't get how it could be a good or a bad idea, as Zexion said
Quote from: Zexion on March 07, 2014, 02:48:38 pm
Since it's not a fan game, it's really up to you and what you think would better suit the game.

I'd like to point out that your mock-up drawing looks better than your current game screenshot. Having that translated into RPG Maker might not be as easy though.

It's not like you get -5 creativity points for going side-scroller or something (I'll still give you bonus points for making a platformer in RPG Maker, lol). If you think your work can transition smoothly into a platforming environment, go right ahead.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

WhiteRose

Most side-scroller RPGs tend to still be pretty action oriented (like the SotN-style Castlevania games,) so it might be more difficult to get in a lot of story if you go with that route. On the other hand, I think that a side-scrolling RPG with an awesome story would be really unique and a lot of fun.