Daygames' project "Hamster" is looking for voice actors

Started by Blizzard, March 19, 2014, 02:16:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

We at Daygames are making a new game that will piss you off like no one before.

The game is currently still development, but we will soon have some sort of pre-alpha. We hope that we can submit/release it by the end of the month, but I expect that it will possibly take another 2-3 weeks, because I'm really short on time these days. >.<

Anyway, what's this about? The gameplay is simple. Fling the floating hamster and avoid obstacles. Obstacles usually don't kill you on touch (they do in our current build), but they have dangerous areas which WILL kill you if you touch them. Here's a screenshot.

Game Over: ShowHide

Now, what's the twist here? Currently we plan on naming the game "Don't play me" and the game will constantly insult you.

Quote from: Probably going to end up in the descriptionDon't play me is a shy game that doesn't like to be played, and it ain't afraid to show it to you.

Phrases like "Woah, you jumped an obstacle.", "Here's a reward to validate you.", "Hope you miss and press the ads.", "Stop touching me.", "Your fingers are sweaty.", "Are you sitting on a toilet, you sicko?" during the game, "Wow, that sucked.", "Give up on life.", "You killed me, douche." after a Game Over and stuff like "Tap here to start wasting your life" instead of a "Play Now" button or "List of people better than you" instead of a "Highscores" button are just the tip of the iceberg.

Basically we are looking for someone who would want to record all those crazy phrases that we come up with. We require decent recordings and decent voice acting. That means no low-end crappy microphones. Sure, you don't have to have a studio-grade mic, but please no crappy stuff. As for the voice acting itself, most phrases will be cynical and sarcastic so that's the sound we are looking for.
Native English speakers only. Or if your English is very, very good. And with very, very good I mean better than mine and I have only a little bit of accent. So the bar is set high.

You will obviously be fully credited. Since the game will be most probably free with ads, we can't offer a promo code for a free version, but if we do make it paid, you will get a free version. Or you might get a promo code for King of Booze on iOS. Or maybe a character designed by you in cooperation with our graphics artist for King of Booze. We'll think of something to reward you beyond just credit, we always do.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

WhiteRose

This sounds like a lot of fun! :D I'd love to give the voice acting a shot, but I'm afraid I don't have anything even resembling a good microphone floating around. Probably the best I could do is my phone. Maybe I'll record a couple of clips if I get the chance, but it unfortunately probably won't make the cut as far as quality.

Plus I don't know anything about voice acting. XD

Blizzard

You can send us some samples at least. We can take it from there then.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

You should try and talk to Branden, he's got a decent setup. Good mic and a pop filter. And the sarcastic voice. I'll try and point him here.

Zexion

Spaceman McConaughey

Blizzard, my friend, I would very much like to take you up on this offer if at all possible.

As gameus said, my setup is pretty good, and I have the gosh durn voice.

Blizzard

Sure. I already gave some of the example phrases. You can record some and send them to me and then we'll take it from there. We also have another female candidate.

Spaceman McConaughey

March 20, 2014, 05:18:48 pm #7 Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:54:56 pm by Colonel Blinx
Making sure:
Do we need to say the lines exactly as written down?

EDIT:
I sent them to you. I said some of the lines a bit differently, just so they'd be easier for me to voice.

Ryex

oh wow, PLEASE use Branden's voice. it will be perfect.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Spaceman McConaughey

Yeah, I agree (not to sound smug, or anything).

I just need to adjust the tone/style compared to the samples I sent (I could have done much better, honestly).
Here's hoping when they get around to needing a VA, it's-a-meee! >8D

Ryex

I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Ryex

wait... what? you can say that after hearing Branden's!? cause I've heard them and they out case mine by a mile.

Blizzard

No offense, but Branden's sometimes sounds too artificial. Yours on the other hand sometimes sounds too amateurish.

If the two of you would have a child, it would either suck at this completely or it would be a great VA.

Ryex

Spaceman McConaughey

Quote from: Blizzard on March 22, 2014, 02:55:07 pm
No offense, but Branden's sometimes sounds too artificial.

Like I said, they could have been better.

Blizzard

Spaceman McConaughey

Blizzard

Sooooooo... I was under the shower today and had some inspiration since we changed the game concept to a hamster that is going to jump over various obstacles and constructions created by beavers. I quickly recorded this once I got out and slapped some epic music in the background.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20224394/trailer-epic-version.mp3

Even I'm laughing my ass off over here.

BTW, Branden, we decided that Hamster will go without VA, but if we make a reskin (and we most probably will), it will have VA.

Spaceman McConaughey

I kind of thought so when you guys never called me on Skype that day, honestly.
It's cool, no worries. I'll be happy to help if needed should you guys decide to do the reskin.

Also, that sounds hilarious. I'll check out the link when I'm on my computer.

Blizzard

Is anybody interested in beta testing this baby? We need both Android and iOS testers.

Spaceman McConaughey

I'm on iOS (iPhone 5), need to test or my life functions will cease.

Blizzard

Sweet. Just send me your UDID so I can make a build that will work on your device.

Spaceman McConaughey

Zexion

I can beta test this if you'd like. I use android, can be either the kitkat or Kindle Fire HD, versions :P

G_G

G_G

Loving it so far. Not sure what you guys plan on doing, but I'd love to buy a non-ad version. Though I think I recall you not being able to accept payments from the Play Store. Which kind of blows.

One thing I feel could use some improvement is the sensitivity of the flinging. When I try to make him go up and just a smudge over to the right, sometimes he goes way too far to the right and I end up landing on a tall spike pole before I even get a chance to try and avoid it. Or when I'm trying to jump straight up, I can't seem to get him to jump in the middle all the time. It's either a little splash or a huge jump. I dunno if this is just my finger placement or not, I'm not very good at swipe based games to begin with. But I can't even get past 10 points. Maybe you should have points stack to unlock parts of the story, rather than doing it in one go. I can definitely seem some people not being able to enjoy that aspect of your game. I know I won't be able to get to 200 points in one run.

Other than that, so far a solid and fun time waster. I hope you guys plan on adding some background music and not just noises. It's in definite need of some. The hamster voice is perfect. Love the artwork.

EDIT: As far as the tutorial goes Blizzard, maybe you guys could leave a button for it on the title screen. So for people who forget how to play the game or need a bit more practice, it's there for them. Showing it once is great, but not being able to access it again unless you uninstall then re-install is a potential flaw for some players.

Tutorial works fine by the way. I'm not having any issues with it.

Blizzard

June 09, 2014, 01:35:26 pm #27 Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:39:03 pm by Blizzard
Quote from: gameus on June 09, 2014, 01:15:34 pm
Loving it so far. Not sure what you guys plan on doing, but I'd love to buy a non-ad version. Though I think I recall you not being able to accept payments from the Play Store. Which kind of blows.

Yeah, the Android version will be free with ads. ._.

One thing I feel could use some improvement is the sensitivity of the flinging. When I try to make him go up and just a smudge over to the right, sometimes he goes way too far to the right and I end up landing on a tall spike pole before I even get a chance to try and avoid it. Or when I'm trying to jump straight up, I can't seem to get him to jump in the middle all the time. It's either a little splash or a huge jump. I dunno if this is just my finger placement or not, I'm not very good at swipe based games to begin with. But I can't even get past 10 points. Maybe you should have points stack to unlock parts of the story, rather than doing it in one go. I can definitely seem some people not being able to enjoy that aspect of your game. I know I won't be able to get to 200 points in one run.

The point isn't even that everybody unlocks everything. xD
As for sensitivity, we've had numerous problems with that. After many hours of experimenting and testing, I think that this is as close as we can get to a good balance.

Other than that, so far a solid and fun time waster. I hope you guys plan on adding some background music and not just noises. It's in definite need of some. The hamster voice is perfect. Love the artwork.

Teo did the graphics, I actually did the hamster voice, lol! We're still divided whether we should add any background music since some people said that they like the zen-like ambient sounds.

EDIT: As far as the tutorial goes Blizzard, maybe you guys could leave a button for it on the title screen. So for people who forget how to play the game or need a bit more practice, it's there for them. Showing it once is great, but not being able to access it again unless you uninstall then re-install is a potential flaw for some players.

Tutorial works fine by the way. I'm not having any issues with it.

Eh, the mechanics are really, really simple. To be realistic, the game doesn't actually need a tutorial. We only added it to smooth the learning curve since some people were flinging too weakly.

EDIT: As far as sensitivity is concerned, there are actually dual controls at work. One is the standard fling, but the other doesn't require you to lift your finger. We noticed that some people wouldn't fling right so we added that additional control scheme to make it a bit easier for them without them knowing.

G_G

As for music, you could always make it an option. And how about this. When the game is completely finished and ready for public release, I'll send a couple bucks your way for an ad-free version?

Blizzard

June 09, 2014, 01:55:26 pm #29 Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:56:28 pm by Blizzard
Deal, lol! You will just have to remind me to make you an update without ads when we update the actual version on GPlay.
If we find a decent music track, we'll think about it. It would make the most sense to have music, ambient or nothing.

Spiralflux

Shiet, I want to beta test.
Any relevant phone information:
Galaxy Note II
Android Version 4.3
Model Number: SGH-I317M

Blizzard

June 11, 2014, 01:59:38 am #31 Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:33:30 pm by Blizzard
Sweet. I have a Galaxy S2 as well. I'll PM you the build right away.

EDIT: Here is a little teaser from the RC build.

Spoiler: ShowHide

We are almost done. Teo still needs to finish the new title screen and I have to translate the game to German. After that we'll have GM build.

G_G

Sweet. Dunno what else to report, I've shared all my thoughts. :3 Awesome job with the game, as always.

Zexion

Yeah I actually really like this game :b
For some reason, it crashed on the first time that I opened it, but it was perfectly fine after that (on kindle fire hdx). I am not sure if it is just me, or what, but I can't seem to adjust to the flicking. For some reason I flick it too high or to much to the right or not enough lol, so it gets crazy when obstacles are in a particular order (the under water and middle spike), but I imagine that in time people get used to it like we all did flappy bird. Really like the graphics and everything o.o

10/10 would bang

Blizzard

Yeah, sometimes the game crashes upon the first start, because it hasn't actually finished installing on the OS. I noticed this on all Android devices. After it says that it's installed, it usually does some additional unpacking I guess and during that time, the app is actually "not available". It could be something with Java since it usually doesn't find the initial activity to display.

Yeah, the flicking it a skill.

Blizzard

June 28, 2014, 04:51:51 am #35 Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:56:07 am by Blizzard
Alright, the game is released for Android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.daygames.hamster.android

The iOS version will take a bit longer because of Apple's review process.

EDIT: Who of you testers wants the ad-free version? Just remember that you won't be able to receive any updates that way.

ArcaneAlchemy

Hey Blizzard,

Are the ads a flat rate or are they the click-on payment type? Also, how's the payment on those roughly? I'm working on a survival stick-man poker game and I was thinking of going the ads route.
"Wait? Do I look like a waiter?" -Kefka

G_G

I'll take the ad free version, but I'd still like to pay you to receive updates, or would that be too much work?

Blizzard

Not really, no. I can just set up our build system to compile and build one more configuration, it's not a problem.
I'll do it tomorrow. I'm a bit burnt out from yesterday's night out, lol!