Did You Know Gaming? - Super Nintendo Effects Dev Special

Started by Blizzard, April 04, 2014, 04:58:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

WhiteRose

This narrator is less annoying.

Ah, the CX4 chip. If anyone has played Megaman X2 or X3 on BSNES (aka Higan), they'll be familiar with it. It's a little bit annoying to have to have a separate file just to get the ROMs to run, but it also means that they're able to run 100% accurately, which is kind of cool. The devs are really committed to the perfect preservation of a dying console. It's nice to see. I've never tried a SuperFX chip game on BSNES. It probably would need some special things as well.

I love the Super Nintendo. To date, I think there are few, if any, consoles with an equal collection of games that I personally consider "timeless classics." My dad used to collect games as a hobby, so we had almost literally every game released for the SNES, and even some released only for the Super Famicon. I remember being little and sitting on the desk in my pajamas, choosing what to play next from the bookshelves of carts and popping it into the SNES.

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing, Blizz!

Zexion

That was really interesting. It also makes me appreciate all the work that went into making those in-cartridge chips. I bet they never thought they would have the creative freedoms that they do today o.o

Blizzard

Quote from: WhiteRose on April 04, 2014, 05:10:57 pm
My dad used to collect games as a hobby, so we had almost literally every game released for the SNES, and even some released only for the Super Famicon.

Wow, that's pretty awesome! AFAIK there are between 500 and 600 SNES games that were released.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Blizzard on April 04, 2014, 05:46:00 pm
Quote from: WhiteRose on April 04, 2014, 05:10:57 pm
My dad used to collect games as a hobby, so we had almost literally every game released for the SNES, and even some released only for the Super Famicon.

Wow, that's pretty awesome! AFAIK there are between 500 and 600 SNES games that were released.

Yep! :D I'll see if I can dig them up and take a picture or something. We eventually packed them up and moved them to storage when we didn't use them as much any more, and it took five or six large boxes to hold them all.

orochii

Hmm... a physical SNES quasi-fullset. I think your storage place is actually heaven. Can I ask to be buried under your boxes? J/K.

I'm always looking at DYKG videos. This one, as the other ones, made me pretty happy. And as they said, the SNES itself had some nice features, but cartdridges had some EXTRA features. And even some games with ~70Mb of voice casting, like Start Ocean. From all the 16bit consoles, I'm sorry, but SNES kicks GEN's ass. Don't get me wrong, GEN has its own charm, but the SNES/SFC is my fave.

All I want in this life is a SNES, a SFC-2-SNES adapter, and a copy of Romancing SaGa 8D. And a GameBoy with FFL2. Just let me save up enough money...

WhiteRose

You actually don't need a SFC to SNES adapter to play SFC games on the SNES; there's a really easy mod you can do, although it does involve some very minor damage to the system. Basically, there are two tiny plastic chips inside the cartridge slot that fit into slots on the cartridge that are there on SNES carts, but not SFC carts. Just use a screwdriver to knock out the little plastic bits, and then both SNES and SFC carts will work on the console. Kind of a cool trick. :) The same thing works to play Japanese region games on a N64, although it has bigger plastic blocks instead of just chips, so you need to use a drill to grind them away.

For the record, I don't recommend taking a drill to any modern day consoles. :P

Blizzard

I think that modern day consoles have their DVD drives simply region locked.

Spoofus

actually I think the PS3 is region free.
on the topic though I liked that video never noticed how some of the mode 7 stuff in some SNES games rendered like that castevania boss it showed, that never occurred to me at all as a kid.

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/