random win8 feature

Started by winkio, April 05, 2014, 12:24:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

winkio

For those using windows 8:

With the desktop up, move the mouse to the top of the screen.  Click and drag to either side of the screen.

You can't have two desktops up, but I guess you can have a metro app side by side with your desktop.  It's also a fast way to move all windows to one half of the screen.

Zexion

I am surprised that you didn't know this xD

WhiteRose

I don't ever really use Metro apps, but I do love the Windows Snap feature. It's in Windows 7, too - just drag a window to either side until you get the little glow dot, and then it will cover exactly that half of the screen. Or just use the Windows key plus left or right. That is probably one of my all time favorite features of Windows, and something that I miss every time I sit down at a Linux or Mac workstation. (I know it's possible to replicate it, but it's just nice having it built in.)

Not quite the same, but pretty similar.

Zexion

April 05, 2014, 04:17:37 am #3 Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:18:44 am by Zexion
I don't think that's what he means. Although I do love that feature, rose. I think he was referring to this:
Large image: ShowHide

Which allows you to use any of the metro apps while still viewing the desktop.

Edit: Also, the latest ubuntu has that snap feature built in :P

WhiteRose

Quote from: Zexion on April 05, 2014, 04:17:37 am

Yeah, I know; I was just thinking along the lines of "half the screen is one thing and half is the other in Windows." Sorry, I've been going off-topic a lot lately. I need to stop posting so late. And while doing homework. And focus a little more in general. I feel so out of it lately. :P

Quote from: Zexion on April 05, 2014, 04:17:37 am
Edit: Also, the latest ubuntu has that snap feature built in :P

Now this I didn't know. That's pretty cool. I love the power of the Linux terminal; it's really the big thing that I miss on Windows. (Cygwin still doesn't compare.) Ubuntu does a great job of packaging up all of the power of Linux and presenting it in a way just as easy to use as other modern OSes. I like it a lot. However, I'm so used to Windows that I usually go straight there without a glance at Mac or Linux OSes. XD

Ryex

You might want to take a look at Linux Mint Rose. It's very close to windows in presentation and ease of use and the stuff while still providing all of linux's power. and it has corner snapping. as in you drag a window to a corner and it snaps to 1/4th of the screen :P
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

WhiteRose

Quote from: Ryex on April 05, 2014, 10:59:45 am
You might want to take a look at Linux Mint Rose. It's very close to windows in presentation and ease of use and the stuff while still providing all of linux's power. and it has corner snapping. as in you drag a window to a corner and it snaps to 1/4th of the screen :P

The corner snapping sounds really cool! That would be awesome, especially with a large monitor.