[XP]Sword Art Online - Game's Fate Fangame

Started by Soulshaker3, April 18, 2014, 10:33:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Soulshaker3

So first of all i don't know how much sword art online aka SAO is known here but in my country it's pretty popular and there's a lot of fangames poorly designed, in gameplay and other aspects too so I tough i could give it a try.

As i don't know if you don't know what SAO i'll try to explain it:
SAO it's an anime published in 2012 which got great sucess. The story says that in 2022 a Virtual Reality Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game(VRMMORPG) is sold to about 10000 people. With the Nerve Gear equipment people can control their characthers in game only with the power of your mind like they were in a dream.
When they first login they realize there's no log-out option, after a while everyone get's teleported and the creator of the game (Kayaba Akihiko) tells everyone that in order to get out of the game they have to climb all 100 floors and defeat the final boss in that floor, BUT if your characther's hp gets 0 all your avatar information gets deleted from the server and the Nerve Gear kills you and IF you try to get out of the game not legitimately you will die too.

So i liked the concept of the anime and now i'm developing a game in the rpg maker engine to see what I can do. I am going to make the game  as intuitive as possible because i know many of you don't know the anime and how it goes.

I'm planning on making 2 versions of this game: Portuguese and English

Overall progress
Scripting 75%
Mapping 0%
Sounds 20%
Story 0%

Scripting
Spoiler: ShowHide

Main menu
Title menu
Modding Actors to allow to equip any weapon and have an off-hand slot
HUD
Rank System in items(D to S)

Shop
Day and night system
Quest System
ABS Combat system

The game hasn't a lot of progress i've just been scripting all day to try to get this to work but i'll get some screenshots for you.
Every single screenshot is on portuguese and I really apologize for that:
Title Menu

Main Menu

Stats Menu

Message/Cutscene system

Tell me what you tought about the game so far i hope you've enjoyed it
Hellow?

WhiteRose

I really like the visual-novel style of your message system. However, by having both facesets and full torso pictures of the characters, it gets a little redundant. I might recommend removing the facesets and instead focusing entirely on the visual-novel type appearance. Just an idea.

Soulshaker3

Oh so remove the faces and extend the text all over the box is what you're saying?
Hellow?

WhiteRose

Quote from: soulshaker3 on April 18, 2014, 11:05:58 pm
Oh so remove the faces and extend the text all over the box is what you're saying?

Right. Kind of like this (this is from another game, but it has the style that I am talking about):

If there is more than one person speaking, you can show both of them on the screen, so it still looks like they're talking to each other. As for the main character, it's up to you whether or not to show him; the game this screenshot is from opts not to show the main character, as it makes it feel more "first-person," but you can also show the main character just like any other character.

Like I said, I think the system you have already is great; this is just something that I think might, in my opinion, make it a little cleaner.

Blizzard

April 19, 2014, 03:41:08 am #4 Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 03:42:29 am by Blizzard
Is this by any chance related to the other SAO I heard of? There was one about a year ago and it was using RMX-OS. But the dude I was in contact with left the team so I don't know what happened to it.

I watched the anime myself and it was pretty fun, but I think that the romantic parts were stretched out into a very unrealistic proportion. The two main characters don't appear to be in love with each other, but obsessed and very co-dependent.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

WhiteRose

At the risk of being slightly off-topic, I decided to look up SAO, and I've actually enjoyed the first few episodes a lot. Thanks for the suggestion, soulshaker!

Soulshaker3

April 19, 2014, 08:05:05 am #6 Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:11:35 am by soulshaker3
Quote from: Blizzard on April 19, 2014, 03:41:08 am
Is this by any chance related to the other SAO I heard of? There was one about a year ago and it was using RMX-OS. But the dude I was in contact with left the team so I don't know what happened to it.

I watched the anime myself and it was pretty fun, but I think that the romantic parts were stretched out into a very unrealistic proportion. The two main characters don't appear to be in love with each other, but obsessed and very co-dependent.

Actually no, I've posted here a topic a few months ago recruiting a pixel-artist i think, but that other project is long gone, this one is brand new and I'm doing it by my own, unfortunatly this won't be an MMO it will be just kindda going trought the story of the anime as if you were the main character, so I guess no this isn't any related to that project.
Edit: No problem rose.
Edit 2:
QuoteIf there is more than one person speaking, you can show both of them on the screen, so it still looks like they're talking to each other. As for the main character, it's up to you whether or not to show him; the game this screenshot is from opts not to show the main character, as it makes it feel more "first-person," but you can also show the main character just like any other character.

Actually it shows the graphic of who is talking at the moment, In the screenshot it appears Klein because he's talking, if you would to press space there the graphic would change to Kirito because he would talk next.
Hellow?