[XP] Harvest Moon Starter Kit

Started by KitsuneKouta, April 25, 2014, 02:58:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

KitsuneKouta

Hi everyone! I don't know what kind of demand there will be for this, but I've been working on a Harvest Moon project for some time now and decided to post it here and there in the hopes of reaching Harvest Moon fans that use RPG Maker XP. It's called the Harvest Moon Tool Kit, and was built with the intention of allowing users to truly make their own Harvest Moon games for the first time.

Many others have attempted a Harvest Moon project of some kind, but very few have even a fraction of the features and stability that HMTK enjoys. I have created a list of features and explanations on the newly started wiki, which you can find here. Here's a quick list of the main features:

-Crops
-Animals
-Time System (including seasons)
-Letter By Letter Message System
-Various Tools
-Carrying Items
-Fishing
-Mining
-The Rucksack
-Villagers

There are occasional bugs, and some features haven't made the cut yet, but progress is coming along well. You may notice a couple of Pokemon placeholder graphics, but those are temporary and were used for convenience (and because the community I started this on is a Pokemon community. You can look up this project and find additional discussion there if you feel the need). I don't have much for screenshots at the moment, but you can download the project here or on the wiki. It's currently on v2.2.

All of my code is open source, so feel free to change things and/or integrate it with your projects. You may also use any of the graphics within which I created or ripped. There are a couple minor things contributed by others as well, so be sure to credit the appropriate people for their contributions if you use this in any way. You can find a list of contributors you must credit on the wiki here.

Feel free to post constructive criticism or suggestions, or better yet, help out! I've been handling the code myself and am intimately familiar with how it works, so I'm not really looking for coders unless they want to do minor things. Instead, any non-code help would be immensely helpful. This includes BGM, sound effects, animations, graphics rips (from Harvest Moon SNES), villager dialog, screenshots, etc. A complete list of missing features, things you can contribute, and the coding to do list I'm working on can be found on the wiki here.

If this project proves popular enough, and the Harvest Moon features are all completed, I have been considering the idea of making a Rune Factory spin-off out of it. I've done my best to ensure that any default RMXP functionality is left intact, including the battle system which remains unmolested, so you may be able to turn this into a Rune Factory game of some sort on your own if you can't wait. I won't guarantee compatibility with other scripts, given that I've done a bit of aliasing to keep the HMTK code separate from standard RMXP code, but there is a good chance that battle-specific scripts out there will work (so long as they don't have other outside of battle features). Any functionality specific to Rune Factory is at the bottom of the priority list for now.

I had also considered porting this to RPG Maker VX Ace, but I ran into a couple bumps when I first looked into it. I don't plan to even consider moving to RMVXA until I have finished everything in XP, but I may or may not look into it again in the future. If someone else wants to port my code to RMVXA, you are not only welcome but fully encouraged to do so! You can post it in your own thread and I will likewise post links to it from any place I have posted the RMXP version. Just don't forget to give credits to those who contributed to the RMXP version. If you port it and either don't want or are unable to support it yourself, I may officially do so instead (with huge credit to you, of course).

Happy farming :)

I claim no ownership of any audio, graphics, ideas, or otherwise which were created and/or copyrighted by Nintendo, Natsume, Marvelous Interactive, or any other party which created in whole or part and/or owns any copyright related to the Harvest Moon video game series. This work is purely for entertainment and learning purposes, and should NOT be used for profit in any way.

Spaceman McConaughey

PhoenixFire

April 25, 2014, 06:34:32 pm #2 Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 06:36:22 pm by PhoenixFire
I'm actually fairly impressed by the concept! Good luck on it! I'm actually in the middle of putting together two different types of toolkits myself, so if you need any help, please, just let me know!
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?