Turn based and real time battles in the same game/map? XP

Started by Tyler, May 24, 2014, 09:40:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler

Is it possible to have both turn based pokemon style battles and real time zelda battles in the same game/map? and if so how?

I'm using RPG XP and was using pokemon essentials at first, then I downloaded Blizz ABS but I'd really like to be able to have both battle styles in the same game, if any one can help me out here I'd be very appreciative

Hopefully this is in the right place, this is my first time posting here

Spaceman McConaughey

I don't think so, as there'd be too many conflicts (maybe, I don't know... I'm no expert).
If anything, you can have Pokemon Essentials and an evented ABS.

But now I must ask:
Why do you want this? Would an ABS tie into some kind of minigame for your project?
Is Pokemon Essentials some kind of minigame in it?

Tyler

An evented ABS? How does that work?

I would like most of the enemy's in my game to be visible on the map and play similar to a zelda game but for certain enemy's such as boos fights or when in tall grass a pokemon will appear and it goes into the turn based battle screen

KK20

If you think you can smash two scripts together, forget it. It's not going to work. Battle systems are designed to be the ONLY battle system in the game. If you know a thing about scripting, you can create it--it's not impossible. Just don't go running around forums asking for someone to build this for you though. Battle systems are the essential element to any RPG and, because of that, are usually overly complex and require a lot of time to perfect.

If that's not the case, your only option is to choose one script that you like and event the other half, as already suggested. Your intentions aren't entirely clear though. You say Pokemon-style battles, but is it really Pokemon? Or are you just talking about turn-based battles in general (like the default RMXP battle system)? Also, you say Zelda-like battle system. To what extent of a system are we talking here? Pressing a button to slash a sword and damage an event? Picking up and throwing objects?

If your system involves battling monsters on the map and gaining EXP/items/money in addition to the turn-based battle system, you are going way overboard with your game and making it more complicated than what it's worth. You even said it yourself: "How does an evented ABS work?" You are designing a game that is easily brushed aside by the average gamer. You're putting two completely contradictory elements into one game.

My advice is to lower your goals and expectations, especially if you just started immersing yourself in the RM community. Read tutorials. Play other people's games. Discuss game theory and ideas. Learn something worthwhile so that you can make a good game from the start and not waste precious time.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

WhiteRose

It would definitely take less time and effort to combine the two scripts than to create a custom system from scratch, but it would still be a lot of work. My advice would be to go ahead and get started on your game using whichever one of the systems you think will be used more, and then once you've made some good progress, you can plan a little better as to how the second system will fit in. I'd even bet that if what you make is really fantastic, there might be some people who will help you combine the scripts. :) Go ahead and give things a try. As long as you're willing to put enough effort into it, I'm sure you can get things to work just the way you want them!

Spaceman McConaughey

I think I may know what he's trying to accomplish:
The main battle system would be the ABS, but there would be a minigame where you possibly capture and fight monsters in some arena.

Or something.

Tyler

Quote from: Colonel Blinx on May 25, 2014, 01:48:25 am
I think I may know what he's trying to accomplish:
The main battle system would be the ABS, but there would be a minigame where you possibly capture and fight monsters in some arena.

Or something.

Yes- this is pretty much what I want

Quote from: KK20 on May 25, 2014, 01:27:01 am
If that's not the case, your only option is to choose one script that you like and event the other half, as already suggested. Your intentions aren't entirely clear though. You say Pokemon-style battles, but is it really Pokemon? Or are you just talking about turn-based battles in general (like the default RMXP battle system)? Also, you say Zelda-like battle system. To what extent of a system are we talking here? Pressing a button to slash a sword and damage an event? Picking up and throwing objects?

If your system involves battling monsters on the map and gaining EXP/items/money in addition to the turn-based battle system, you are going way overboard with your game and making it more complicated than what it's worth. You even said it yourself: "How does an evented ABS work?" You are designing a game that is easily brushed aside by the average gamer. You're putting two completely contradictory elements into one game.

My advice is to lower your goals and expectations, especially if you just started immersing yourself in the RM community. Read tutorials. Play other people's games. Discuss game theory and ideas. Learn something worthwhile so that you can make a good game from the start and not waste precious time.

Ok to clarify, I'd like the main part of the game to be zelda style- meaning pressing attack, he will attack using whatever weapon is equipped, (sword, boomerang, gun ect),  then there will be a secondary attack button for stuff like fireballs a third button will bring up the shield, you can jump around and move about as you please. Picking up and throwing objects would be cool but is not a priority.

Id like to be able to use non attacking items as well such as grappling hook and spade/pickaxe to get to secret areas.

I am open to the idea of gaining exp but it also is not priority, I'm happy enough sticking with the zelda format of gaining more money, better equipment and items, more health ect from beating bad guys.

the turn based battles will only happen when you walk on special areas such as tall grass or when in the water ect or when you interact with specific NPCs and I'd like it to be as similar to pokemon as possible

Quote from: WhiteRose on May 25, 2014, 01:38:14 am
It would definitely take less time and effort to combine the two scripts than to create a custom system from scratch, but it would still be a lot of work. My advice would be to go ahead and get started on your game using whichever one of the systems you think will be used more, and then once you've made some good progress, you can plan a little better as to how the second system will fit in. I'd even bet that if what you make is really fantastic, there might be some people who will help you combine the scripts. :) Go ahead and give things a try. As long as you're willing to put enough effort into it, I'm sure you can get things to work just the way you want them!

Like I said I started with pokemon essentionals but then switched to using blizz, this messed up what I was originally working on- I managed to save one map and re-import the tileset but all the database information was lost so I had to re-input all the passage and priority information which I'd rather not do again.
Thats why I figured I'd try to figure this stuff out before I get too far into designing the game

Zexion

Eventing a turn based would be the better route to go. It would actually be extremely easy compared to eventing the abs.

Tyler

Quote from: Zexion on May 25, 2014, 07:16:26 am
Eventing a turn based would be the better route to go. It would actually be extremely easy compared to eventing the abs.

As long as I can accomplish my goals I'll use whatever system works, I just need to know how to set it up

Zexion

Well, I'd rather not have to make a full tutorial on it, but I can describe an outline for you. I'll send a PM. Post here if you still need help.

Magus

I did this before with Blizz-abs and a turned based abs. Worked out just find, no issues.  BUT it depends on the battle system's scripting. I got so lucky that there were no conflicting issues. I didn't have to do any additional scripting.

AS FOR POKEMON.. I dunno man. That may not be as simple.   EDIT: YOU MAINLY JUST GOTTA TURN BLIZZ-ABS ON AND OFF FOR IT TO WORK WELL.
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />