General advice needed

Started by Tyler, May 26, 2014, 07:47:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler

Hello everyone, I 'm new here and fairly new to this in general so please be patient with me!

I have a lot of ideas I want to implement in my game but I need some help,

I want to make a game that plays very similar to a zelda game, ie run around the overworld map, being able to do the following;

-equip different weapons such as swords, shields, guns and fight enemies in real time
-spades, pick axe, grappling hook ect to access secret areas 
-different amours that enable different powers, damage resistance, invisibility ect
-use skills such as fireballs, dragon shouts, teleport behind enemy,
-equip a pokeball and throw it to capture monsters, and then be able to use it to summon the captured monster to aid player in battles
-super power mode when player/enemies transform to more powerful forms
-ability to ride on/in certain animals/monsters/vehicles to walk/fly/surf freely around map
-be able to talk to npc's first and have them become hostile depending on player response
-fight certain enemies in turn based battle ie random monster encounters in tall grass/ npc challengers
-have party members/monsters follow and aid you permanently

The idea is you are a real boy who after playing video games for to long somehow gets transported into all his favorite games.
I don't know how original that is but I'm hoping it will be fun work on.

I have been using RPG Maker XP, I started off using pokemon essentials, then switched to using Blizz ABS but since my game would use so many of the features of a zelda game I thought I'd try the PZE zelda engine but I cant find any guides/ tutorials on how to use it and I keep getting errors that I have no idea how to interpret, so I was going to go back to using Blizz ABS, since I have a decent grasp of how to use that and it has a very handy manual but I was wondering if this is really the best system to use to achieve my goals and or if rpg maker xp is the best to use it on.
Is VX ace possibly a better option? are there other systems that would be more applicable?

I figure now is the time to ask since I am very early on in my project and it would not be the end of the world if I had to start from scratch but I'd feel A lot more confident continuing knowing that I was using the best system possible. If anyone can help me out I would be really appreciative

also some of these things listed above I have a decent grasp of how to do currently but if any one can point me in the right direction of some tutorials that would be great especially on the following which I have no idea on how to set up:
-capturing monsters, and then be able summon the captured monster to aid player in battles
-be able to talk to npc's first and have them become hostile depending on player response
-super power mode when player/enemies transform to more powerful forms
-ability to ride on/in certain animals/monsters/vehicles to walk/fly/surf freely around map
-have party members/monsters follow and aid you permanently

WhiteRose

In my opinion, RMXP and Blizz-ABS are going to be the best choice. The system is flexible enough that it should be able to do almost everything on your list even without additional scripts. It can take a little bit of getting used to, but with some practice, I think you'll find that it's perfect for your needs. :)

Tyler

Thanks, yeah I think I'll stick with that then-  Now I just have to figure out how to use it properly!

I keep getting stuck trying to do relatively simple things, with a bit of research and some trial and error I usually figure it out but there are a few things I'm getting totally stuck on, right now I'm trying to get a npc to turn hostile after a dialog option, I've read the manual and there is even a question on it in the FAQ that says

Question:
How do I make an NPC that attacks you after you have talked to him?
Answer:
Use of Alignment Groups (which by default configuration support an NPC group) and Custom Event Triggers.

but I cant figure out how to change the alignment group  or set a custom event trigger to do so

so I looked through previous posts in the tutorials and found the topic "Beginners Trouble" where the same questioned was asked and custom event triggers and alignment groups were mentioned again there was also a post that said

Quote from: winkio on January 06, 2011, 11:52:52 am
you can take the \e out, and then in the normal event code, once it finishes displaying whatever text, you can rename the event to become an enemy:

$game_map.rename_event(EVENT_ID, 'NEW_NAME')

I tried doing this but still couldn't get it to work

KK20

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Tyler

I don't know what I'm doing wrong

The events name is EV014 after I choose to rob his corpse him he is supposed to turn into a ghost and attack
so I should put

$game_map.rename_event(EVO14, 'EVO14\\e[1]')

that was my best guess anyway, but I have tried every possible combination I can think of, I'm sure it is very obvious mistake or whatever  but what I am putting is not working

ps happy birthday

KK20

Not my birthday :P

Did you even look at the link I posted? The first parameter is supposed to be an integer. EVO14 is not an integer. If your event ID is 14, use 14.

Other Projects

Tyler

Trust me I read that whole thing over many times

So I tried the following

$game_map.rename_event(14, 'EVO14\\e[1]')

$game_map.rename_event(14, '14\\e[1]')

$game_map.rename_event(14, '\\e[1]')

still can't get it to work

KK20

If the event ID really is 14, I'm not sure what your problem is then.

Other Projects

Tyler

Neither do I!  The event ID is :014 

maybe I am doing something else wrong along the way

I will go over the event
there is a guy in the road you can choose to help him out or leave him if you leave him he gets run over, I set a switch and new event page now if you talk to him again you can chose to check his wallet or let him rest in peace, if you check his wallet you get 10 gold and he is supposed to turn into a ghost and attack you

so in that choice branch after I get 10 gold I click insert I go to comment, I copy and paste: $game_map.rename_event(14, '14\\e[1]')
or some variation

am I doing something else wrong?

KK20

May 27, 2014, 03:21:43 pm #9 Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:23:57 pm by KK20
I'll recheck it in an empty project.

EDIT: Try only one back slash

Other Projects

Tyler

May 27, 2014, 03:34:14 pm #10 Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:39:20 pm by Tyler
still no luck

Edit: I tried again many different variations but am I at least correct in thinking   $game_map.rename_event(14, '\e[1]')   is what I should be putting? meaning anything else other than the 14 and the e\[1] don't matter?

KK20

Yeah as long as the \e[1] is there, it should work. Which it did for me.

Other Projects

Tyler

Then what else could possibly be the problem? I can't think of anything else I could have done to affect it, but I started a new project made an event gave it no other commands other than  $game_map.rename_event(1, '\e[1]') and still nothing, should I re-download/install abs? would that make any difference?

Zexion

No difference will be made D:

Blizzard

Just a note:

When using single quotes for strings, \ is not escaped and it should be '\e[1]'. When using double quotes, it is escaped and should be "\\e[1]".
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Tyler

Then if I don't want to give up, which I really don't, is there anything else I can do? I tried using both \\e[1]" and '\e[1]' to see if it made any difference with no success.

I don't have any add-ons installed or anything, that Is the only thing else I can think of that would be any different between mine an your versions

WhiteRose

Quote from: Tyler on May 27, 2014, 04:30:45 pm
Then if I don't want to give up, which I really don't, is there anything else I can do? I tried using both \\e[1]" and '\e[1]' to see if it made any difference with no success.

I don't have any add-ons installed or anything, that Is the only thing else I can think of that would be any different between mine an your versions

If all else fails, you can always send someone a version of your game and ask them to take a look at it in order to help hands-on. I'd even offer to help you myself, but I don't have RMXP on my new computer yet.

KK20

Even a screen shot of your event would help

Other Projects

Tyler

Ok, here is a screen shot of the event I was working on

and one of a new project that also doesn't work

Zexion

Uh, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use the script command (last page bottom right), not the "comment" command.

Tyler

May 28, 2014, 10:25:20 am #20 Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 10:29:31 am by Tyler
Success! finally, I knew it would be something stupid - I did say I am a total novice  :facepalm:

Thanks all you guys, happy birthday to whoever s birthday it was, I'm sure I'll be back soon with another stupid problem

Edit: is there a way I can make a new enemy appear? in this case it would appear as if the ghost is coming from the npcs corpse

Zexion

Here you go, I quoted this directly from the manual including the section incase you want to read more.
Quote4.5.1. Creating an Event
Event creation is possible by the following script call:

$BlizzABS.create_event(X, Y, 'NAME', [PAGE_DATA])

X and Y are the x and y coordinates of the event on the map, NAME is the name of the event, and PAGE_DATA is an array of page data arrays (see Creating an Event Page). PAGE_DATA can be left as an empty array [] if no special event programming is required.

Using this script call will return the ID of the newly created event. The event is automatically added to the current map.

Tyler

Thanks again, I'll get to work on putting that into effect.

Tyler

Ok, I don't want you to think I'm not reading the manual but it's not entirely clear to me

since i want to make the new event appear on top of the current event and I want it to be a enemy with the graphic a ghost of I entered this into the script command

$BlizzABS.create_event(97, 83, '\e
[1]', [[True,False, False, False, 1,
0, 0, 0, "]], [0, 'Undead01', 0, 2,
0, ,0, 0]])

when I try to test it I get a Syntax Error

I figure I'm filling in the [PAGE_DATA] part wrong

Zexion

I think you can leave that part as [], because if your \e[1] is a ghost, blizz abs will handle the graphics automatically.
so: $BlizzABS.create_event(97,83,'\e[1]',[])
Also if it is going to split it up, I think it is better if you do:
$BlizzABS.create_event(97,83,
'\e[1]',[])

Tyler

I pasted what you put, but it didn't work, no errors though

I thought because it is on the second page off the event and should be reliant on a switch (I think)  I'd try to fill the data part again without any graphics

this is what I put

$BlizzABS.create_event(97, 83,
'\e[1]', [[True,False, False, False, 1, 0, 0, 0, "]]

but that didn't work either, this time I did get Syntax Error

Zexion

I think it has to do with the last quotation mark. Should be two double quations
'\e[1]', [[True,False, False, False, 1, 0, 0, 0, ""]])

Tyler

Now I get

NameError occurred while running script.

Uninitialized constant Interpreter:: True

G_G

Supposed to be "true" and "false" not "True" or "False". No capitilization.

Tyler

Ok, changed that now I get

Script 'Blizz2' line 3469 NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method 'size' for true;TrueClass

KK20

I think this is what you're going after.
'\e[1]', [[[true,false, false, false,
1, 0, 0, 0, ''], [0, '051-Undead01',
0, 2, 0, 255, 0], 0, 3, 4, [], true,
false, false, false, false, 0, [] ]])

Other Projects

Tyler

Still no luck, here is a screen shot again if it's any help

KK20

Works fine for me (with coordinate changes).
Spoiler: ShowHide

What do you mean by not working? Nothing happens?

Other Projects

Tyler

May 28, 2014, 09:02:44 pm #33 Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:09:19 pm by Tyler
Sorry, Just double checked the ghost has appeared but in the top left of the map (tile 0,0)

Edit: It's not moving toward 97, 83, either just random movements

KK20

Wait, I just realized that's your map's dimensions. Is the location of the corpse at (77,39)?

Other Projects

Tyler

May 28, 2014, 09:38:30 pm #35 Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 09:47:40 pm by KK20
 :facepalm: yes...

EDIT: Fully Awesome Yes! it now works perfectly! Thank all of you guys for being so very very patient