Project 57

Started by PhoenixFire, June 10, 2014, 07:27:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PhoenixFire

June 10, 2014, 07:27:33 am Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:48:26 pm by PhoenixFire

Project 57

A player driven game

Yes, I'm purposefully poking fun at Generic RPG names with the title of mine. I may or may not change the name somewhere down the road. This particular game is something I'm doing for the game making competition this month (yes, same one that legacyblade is in too). We'll see what happens with it! I don't expect to win the grand prize or anything, but I feel like I learned enough over the years to be able to at least attempt to compete. Plus, if I don't at least try, i have a 100% chance to fail at it :p

The Storyline

Ah yes, the storyline.. Well, let's see.. Oh! Yes, I almost forgot to tell you. This doesn't really have a storyline. At least, not in the traditional sense. You see, you make your own choices, and decide what happens. So I suppose the storyline is somewhat what I would call a reactionary one; The NPC's will react to you, and depending on choices you have made in the past, how long you have been playing, etc. they will have different reactions, and sometimes, entirely different requests for you. Many "main" quests, and most side quests, will only be activated on a conditional basis, so you might get different ones depending on your progress.

Your start-off is rather simple; also, very generic. This game attempts to add humor and comic relief to a game type that is rapidly becoming the next over-saturated game genre on the market. It does this by combining instances of pure stereotypical RPG themes with comedic dialog that makes fun of the stereotypical nature it is portraying.

Screenshots

Spoiler: ShowHide

One of the levels towards the beginning of the game; An attempt at improved mapping skills  :P

Demo and Downloads

DOWNLOAD: Yeah, I'll add one of these eventually EDIT: Download Available.

Other Links and Information

Hmm.. Nothing I can think of right this second. I'll be hosting this game on my site though, so you'll be able to download the demo from Gamers Archive when I get a demo created and all..
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Spiralflux

Best of luck with the project.
One thing you might want to look into is adding details into the maps, especially nature ones.
Your example map looks quite barren, to be honest. This doesn't really make sense in terms of what happens in nature. Even if the roads and bridges are man-made, I really doubt someone would absolutely clear the entire field of weeds and plants in a mountain road. Maybe add different shades of grass, some small plants, and perhaps a few rocks just to add to the variety and make it more pleasing to the eye. Presentation is a huge part in winning when you're in a competitive scene.

legacyblade

I agree with Spiralflux, the map does look rather empty. To fill in the empty areas, you can put those little grass tufts, long grass, streaks of the darker green grass autotile, flowers, rocks, stumps, etc. It doesn't take too much extra time, but it really does help. And since you're purposely trying to make it seem like a generic RPG, you'll need to have pretty aesthetics to make people look at it long enough to get hooked by the satire, comedy, and (quite frankly) awesome sounding way of advancing the plot.

That being said, I really want to try this when it comes out. A story entirely based on NPC reaction to the main character? I'm intrigued!

PhoenixFire

Thank you both for the feedback ^.^ I keep going from worried there's not enough on the map, so I add stuff, and then worry there's too much, so I take stuff off again..

@Spiral ~ yes, I'm def working on mimicking nature, while at the same time, trying to make it seem generic, so that includes oncorporating into it that a developer places her/his own thoughts and concepts into what's being produced; like a pseudo digital mirror or ones-self.

@legacy ~ I'll certainly be adding more in, and yes, I know some of those are fairly simple fixes and additions (I'm actually using the 'ultimate fusion tileset' for the game, so I have everything I could possibly want in there), and honestly, my only want with it, is more layer availability; heck, even one single more layer would help sooooooooooooooo much..
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

legacyblade

@Pheonix Fire, Alas. There is no "add" or "remove" button for layers :P A simple dropdown box to select layers (or a scrollbox of icons of the layers, like in photoshop) would have been a vast improvement. But there is a way to cheat the system a bit. Whenever you are placing a tile with no transparency on it, put it on layer one. Almost everything involving mountains and their walls can be done on just the first two layers.

Spiralflux

Or you can go for parallax mapping. While it is more complicated and time consuming, you get the flexibility of infinite layers and a lot more freedom with tile placement.

PhoenixFire

Quote from: Spiralflux on June 10, 2014, 11:51:04 pm
Or you can go for parallax mapping. While it is more complicated and time consuming, you get the flexibility of infinite layers and a lot more freedom with tile placement.

Ehhh.... I'll stick with what I know

Quote from: legacyblade on June 10, 2014, 10:00:05 pm
@Pheonix Fire, Alas. There is no "add" or "remove" button for layers :P A simple dropdown box to select layers (or a scrollbox of icons of the layers, like in photoshop) would have been a vast improvement. But there is a way to cheat the system a bit. Whenever you are placing a tile with no transparency on it, put it on layer one. Almost everything involving mountains and their walls can be done on just the first two layers.

Yep, it would be a great feature if they ever wanted to make an official version of XPAce.. As to that trick, yeah, that's what I use alot! most of my maps are made that way so that I have layer 3 for whatever I want! I ended up imporving a bunch of maps, and I'll have a demo download up pretty soon.. Just need to upload it and link it lolz..

legacyblade

Upload it as soon as you can ^.^

And I REALLY hope they make XPAce. It'd be nice to still be able to map like in XP, but with extra layers. (and a more modernized engine with less stuttering) XP is great, but it's REALLY starting to show it's age o.o

PhoenixFire

Quote from: legacyblade on June 14, 2014, 03:34:49 am
Upload it as soon as you can ^.^

-points to download link-

good to go now sir :)  It's far from epic, but it's okay I think. Still working on re-mapping and some stuff, but it's coming along..

And I REALLY hope they make XPAce. It'd be nice to still be able to map like in XP, but with extra layers.

Yes, taht's one of the few things we can't do ourselves here...

...and a more modernized engine with less stuttering...

Well, there is the Ace to XP engine conversion, but it's certainly no substitute for a well-done upgrade to XPAce..

legacyblade

June 14, 2014, 01:04:10 pm #9 Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 01:30:31 pm by legacyblade
Quote from: PhoenixFire on June 14, 2014, 12:01:29 pm

-points to download link-

good to go now sir :)  It's far from epic, but it's okay I think. Still working on re-mapping and some stuff, but it's coming along..

Huzzah! I shall download it now!

Quote from: PhoenixFire on June 14, 2014, 12:01:29 pm
Well, there is the Ace to XP engine conversion, but it's certainly no substitute for a well-done upgrade to XPAce..

I read the engine conversion thread, but that sounds like a HUGE pain. It's kinda hackish, so a lot of scripts won't work with it. I already have enough trouble getting certain scripts to work. I shudder to think about trying to get them to work with an XP running on a VX engine.

-edit, I THINK I played through everything. o.o It shows promise! Though two things. First, you should get a proper tent interior tileset

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/1565/tentinteriordeathlock.png

Second, I found a little mapping error

It's looking good. Just wish there was more to do so I could get a handle on the gameplay lol. BTW, I suggest not using the DBS. It's a horrible evil thing :P

PhoenixFire

Quote from: legacyblade on June 14, 2014, 01:04:10 pm
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/1565/tentinteriordeathlock.png

~downloads~ thank you soooo much! Now if only I could figure out how to merge it into the Ultimate Fusion one lolz.. I am NOT a spriter or graphics person at all lmao

Quote from: legacyblade on June 14, 2014, 01:04:10 pm
-edit, I THINK I played through everything. o.o It shows promise!

You probably did, as there's no indication of you aving reached the end or anything, unlike yours, where it kinda of fades off.. This is far from finished, and I wanted it to start off a little slow, so that players get used to the mechanics first, then worry about other facets later.

As to the DBS, yeah, I may end up using my own one here.. I don't ~mind~ the default, but it's far from, well, good even; I suppose I would call it acceptable, but that's about it. It's old. Needs an update, etc. As to that map error, I think I know where it is, but would you mind letting me know, just so I can be sure? If I recall, it's on the map with the trader on it?

Okay, so with the XPAce conversion... It's not too hard to do, and I actually have a blank XPAce project for people who don't want to bother with the setup themselves, and, if I remember correctly, I had a few script modifications that I side-streamed in with it; I think one of them is GG's exp reset script. I'll see if I can find it, and I'll host it up on my archive site. As to scripts not working with it, well, that's true. I mean, I've had a few successful attempts at using it, and it's been okay, but my games generally are not script-intensive, so, they may not be the best proof here haha.

legacyblade

Quote~downloads~ thank you soooo much! Now if only I could figure out how to merge it into the Ultimate Fusion one lolz.. I am NOT a spriter or graphics person at all lmao

Just make a tileset in the DB for the tent interior. It'll help slower computers if you don't have every tileset in the game loaded at once lol. The passage should be pretty simple to setup too, cuz there's hardly anything in the tileset.

QuoteAs to the DBS, yeah, I may end up using my own one here.. I don't ~mind~ the default, but it's far from, well, good even; I suppose I would call it acceptable, but that's about it. It's old. Needs an update, etc.

I HATE HATE HATE the DBS :P It's so...dull. But I'm also not huge on turn based battles to begin with. If I'm gonna be doing a turn based battle, it better be visually appealing in some way :P (I prefer side view battlers for that, even if they're just the charset moving around with their icon)

QuoteI actually have a blank XPAce project for people who don't want to bother with the setup themselves

can I get a link to this glorious blank project? XD

QuoteAs to that map error, I think I know where it is, but would you mind letting me know, just so I can be sure? If I recall, it's on the map with the trader on it?

Yeah, I think that was on the map with the merchant. It was on the first map that isn't the tutorial or the starting tent thing, if I remember correctly.

PhoenixFire

June 23, 2014, 12:17:46 am #12 Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:48:11 am by PhoenixFire
Update: So I decided to go back and re-map a bunch of stuff. Changed a few things around and stuff, so, not much has happened in the way of "progress", but more of an aesthetics nature. Compressing and uploading the newest version now, so by the time most of you read this, it'll be there for you :)

Quote from: legacyblade on June 14, 2014, 03:56:12 pm
can I get a link to this glorious blank project? XD

Take a look at the thread for the specific details about it, but here's the link to the download: DEMO DOWNLOAD