USB Port going out after a few minutes

Started by ArcaneAlchemy, June 29, 2014, 07:08:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ArcaneAlchemy

Okay, so I am pretty damned good with computers, but admittedly I am seriously stumped. From being on this site for a while, I know that there are some very clever people here and hopefully you guys and girls can help. I have an Acer Aspire 7750G-9810. It's the i7, AMD HD 7670 2gb vram, 6gb ddr3 ect laptop. There is a usb 3.0 port and 2 regular 2.0 ports. The 3.0 port will work perfectly fine for a few minutes and then it stops working. I've noticed that it thinks that it still has the same device plugged in that was in when it stopped working. I had originally thought that it was perhaps burnt out from using my external sound card and plugging in my guitar amplifier, but that would not explain the fact that it consistently works EVERY time when the computer is restarted.

This totally sounds like a software issue, but I am completely at a loss. I have done all of the obvious troubleshooting like updating drivers and reinstalling drivers so that's not gonna help me at all. Also, I have never reinstalled my OS or used any foreign OS unless it was with VMware or VirtualBox.

Man, if anyone figured this out I will owe you something because it's really really pissing me off. Thanks in advance.
"Wait? Do I look like a waiter?" -Kefka

PhoenixFire

Seems like it's a very common problem with alot of different Acer laptop models, but I was unable to find an actual fix for it. Most people seem to have simply gotten a new (non-Acer) computer as the solution lolz.. The only suggestions worth checking on would be to look through your BIOS settings (if it has a section for USB settings), and to potentially completely uninstall and re-install drivers directly from the Acer site. Other than that, I have no clue what you would wanna try. Have you installed any software recently that might be the culprit? Third-party software can do strange things sometimes...
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Blizzard

Which OS exactly do you have? I think I read something about Windows 8 and 8.1 having trouble with USB 3.0 ports on certain hardware configurations. Try googling your laptop model + USB dying windows 8 or "Acer USB dying windows 8".

And yes, you should check the BIOS. Maybe it has an option to shut down the USB after a while and something goes wrong.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ArcaneAlchemy

Good insight. The OS is win7sp1. I will definitely take a look at the bios settings. I don't know why I didn't think about that. Otherwise, in terms of third party software, my money would be on the virtual machine software like VMware and Virtual Box. I know that they can take over the usb ports for virtualization so hmm. Well if I figure it out, I'll surely post the solution for sure.

Blizzard

They only take over the port if they are turned on. And you can still change their connection state in the VM. e.g. VMWare has a menu on top where you can connect or disconnect certain devices. You can also try disabling the USB Arbitration Service for VMWare which is responsible for allowing that.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ArcaneAlchemy

OMG, I am quickly realizing that Intel just doesn't give a flying crap. Their millionare "final answer" is to contact support about the warranty after multiple people clearly explain that it is a driver at fault. https://communities.intel.com/thread/29141?start=15&tstart=0 What a bunch of heathen bastards.