Moment to pay my respects to our heart

Started by Zexion, June 30, 2014, 08:04:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Zexion

So as you know, the rpg contest has been going on for a while now. A lot of people have entered and stufff... Well me and kk20 were working on something. I've been giving hints at it all along. My profile is the main character. The game is a platform type beat-em-up with combos etc. We started off super ambitious as usual :v.. after nearly quitting at the begining because of being overwhelmed by graphics, we decided to scale it back. Instead of tons of features limit it to a few and a few weapons, and enemies, etc. We hit a snag when my internet went down, but we exploded with energy and drive towards the end. We ended up doing over 60% of the project at the very end. (in only 2 weeks)

Well today was the day to submit it and it literally came down to a few last things. (Mapping) Long story short, we ran out of time. Literally 30 minutes more would have been enough. But we missed it :[

R.I.P
The hearts of KK20, and myself

WhiteRose

*moment of silence*

Sorry that you two won't be able to enter the contest. Still, though, if nothing else, you had a great chance to work together and put together what sounds like a really fun game. :)

Zexion

Yeah i kinda wanted to release it here :b

KK20

I summed up this whole month in one 10.8MB gif.
Spoiler: ShowHide

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

PhoenixFire

R.I.P. KK20 and Zexions Hopes and Dreams ~ May your legacy live on in our memories.

And so, the game died; beloved, revered and mourned by millions of fellow game makers -- from the mines of Siberia to California, in all parts of Europe and America -- and I make bold to say that, though they may have had many oppositions, they had the determination and fortitude of a stampeding army. Their name will endure through the ages, and so also will their work.
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Zexion

legacyblade

D: that's HORRIBLE. Gah! Stupid UTC deadline.  You should still polish it up, put on some final touches, and post the thing though. I'd really like to play it. It looks really pretty o.o

Neoend

I know your pain dear brothers. I too, if only had but a single minute would be a part of this. I guess... One could say,
I didn't Wake in time.

But in all seriousness, it sucks, but what you guys had looks really cool!
Hey! if you like webcomics and other fun distractions check out my site:
www.laforix.com

winkio

Well at least now you know how AAA studios feel when their publisher sets an early release date and doesn't push it back.  Hopefully you don't run into too many hard deadlines in the future, they are pretty rough on game dev.

legacyblade

@winkio, aye. Especially makes ya feel for the team behind sonic 06, eh? The reason it was so unfinished was a combination of a strict deadline and them splitting the team in two to make sonic and the secret rings for the same deadline :/ Effin deadlines man!

Zexion

Deadlines are gross, but it's not like we weren't aware of it. *sigh* it's my fault really. During the time my internet was down i did hardly anything... It wasn't until after that I started to really get a lot done. Meanwhile kk20 did a lot of the scripting even while I was gone. In the end though it was just too much. We both got a lot out of it though, especially me. I learned a lot about the process of spriting and plan to put it to use in my personal project(s). Overall it was a pretty enjoyable process, moreso towards the end.

We also want to try and sell this on steam eventually in a more complete full version xD

legacyblade

We both have the same goal, lol. Let's both work super hard at it!

And just because you knew about the deadline didn't mean you had the experience to understand just how looming and short it really was. I feel like I got lucky >.> Honestly, with how much I had left to do on thursday, I don't know how I finished. I only uploaded my final version that didn't have a bunch of bugs about thirty minutes before the deadline. I wouldn't say it's your fault. Graphical work, while less mentally demanding than scripting, drains your energy in a different way. And just takes so much freaking time.

There was almost a full week where I didn't get any meaningful work in. So I can understand your motivation flagging. Particularly if it was "MORE FREAKING SPRITE POSES GAH!" :P Those just take so much energy!

Zexion

Oh god yes, I barely finished working on the dang hero animations like yesterday lol! I started to hate that hoe xD

Also, your experience is very similar to ours then haha.

legacyblade

Aye. In the days leading up to it, I put in a bunch of filler "then this happens" textboxes so I could release it at any time and it still be TECHNICALLY finished XD Thankfully, I got a huge burst of energy yesterday and was able to do all of the cutscenes for TWO CHARACTERS. In like one sitting. It was like the pounds of starburts I'd eaten this month just decided to give me a sugar high all at once :P

But yeah, pretty similar to yours, just with a luckier ending x.x

-edit, also...hoe?

KK20

Yeah, I think procrastination is the key word here. There were days where I spent like less than an hour coding something. Plus, I'm also taking a summer class and have a job :P so yeah...

You wouldn't believe the number of times we said hoe to each other on Skype >.>

And in case you guys couldn't tell, this is done in RMXP.

Other Projects

Blizzard

Aw man, that really sucks. ._. To miss it by a few days is one thing, but 30 minutes? Man, that's harsh. ._.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

KK20

30 minutes might be a little over-exaggerated, especially now with Zexion still working on it and finding little problems here and there. It would've been like only 15 minutes of gameplay at best xD

But man, if we had this much dedication in the past few days throughout this entire month...I'm curious as to what the result would have been.

Other Projects

R.A.V.S.O

Sorry to hear about this, it seems many of the people who decided to enter at the last moment either had lack of some features or also backed off,
it's a tight deadline, but if you love your project don't give up on it, even if it won't enter a contest some stuff is just too good to give up.

at least that's what I'd believe
Personality Test results
Spoiler: ShowHide

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou