Easy Email Hosting for a Domain

Started by Ryex, July 02, 2014, 10:33:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

I recently bought the domain name ry-net.com to use as a personal domain. point subdomains at personal projects ect.

I want to be able to have an email address on this domain but in order for that to work I need to be able to point my MX records at a host where my domain is set up. sadly I can find no services where I can point my mx records and set up an email without first pointing the domain at their names servers. I dont want to do this as I would much rather keep the domains records at enom where it is registered.

anyone have an idea? it can be a paid service so long as it's reasonably priced.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

I'm not sure if there is any service that just provides MX servers. It's odd that your host doesn't have any.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

PhoenixFire

It's not free, but I believe there's a way to use the google apps for business email service in this way.. I'm not entirely sure how it works though, since I always have the option to set the MX records to the Google ones.. Unless my lack of coffee is de-railing my ability to read what you're trying to say, because I re-read it.. Are you able to point your MX servers elsewhere, and just want to keep your domain pointers the same place? If so, that ~exactly~ how I set up my domains with the google apps services...
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

legacyblade

Google apps USED to be free. So I have a few domains that get it free forever. Huzzah!

Though I'm rather surprised your host doesn't provide email my default o.o

Ryex

I dont have a host, just a domin. I went straight to the registrar instead of through a hosting company. I wanted to use the domain for things like my home router and projects on openshift and the like.

I suppose the easy thing to do would be to get a host as well but I don't really want to pay for any significant amount of space or bandwidth.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

legacyblade

Well I like me some bluehost, as they're pretty cheap (8 bucks a month. that's what netflix costs :P), but they are a higher end one and have unlimited space. I'm not really up to date with any other hosting companies. But some google searching might pull up some cheaper ones.

(in fact, it looks like bluehost is having a fourth of july sale, so you're in luck, though you only get the discount if you pay for 36 months at once lol. That discount hardly seems significant with that addendum.)

G_G

July 04, 2014, 06:26:42 pm #6 Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 06:33:05 pm by gameus
There's always TMDHosting. Myself and Branden have been using it for quite sometime and I quite enjoy it.

EDIT: Have you thought about e-mail forwarding? I dunno if this is what you want, but I have an extra domain through GoDaddy and it redirects everything from jugco.de to jugglingcode.com.

ronnie@jugco.de works and I just have to check my ronnie@jugglingcode.com account.

Blizzard

July 04, 2014, 10:16:42 pm #7 Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:18:14 pm by Blizzard
ICD Soft, CP's host has a few good and cheap offers as well. They don't offer as much space or traffic as others (aka they are not overselling like e.g. Bluehost), but their uptime is literally above 99.99%. Remember that time when CP was down? Exactly. That memory doesn't exist.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

G_G

I can recall several times when said owner forget said hosting bill or exceeded monthly traffic limits. :V

Ryex

July 05, 2014, 12:22:22 am #9 Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 12:54:59 am by Ryex
Hey BLizz I have an idea, you have an account with plenty of space right? could I not point a zone at your account and use ICDSoft's MX servers? Ie point mail.ry-net.com at your account and point my MX records a the subdomain? I'll chip in for the bill if you want. mail.ry-net.com would just act as an alias of chaos-project.com. provided of course it's possible to point mail.ry-net.com to the right spot without useing a CNAME record. cause thats kinda prohibited.

Blizzard

Eh, I have no idea how to set that up. ._. We can try that together one day on Skype. Maybe tomorrow. Just remind me to come online.

Quote from: gameus on July 04, 2014, 10:29:58 pm
I can recall several times when said owner forget said hosting bill or exceeded monthly traffic limits. :V

Yeah, but that was my fault, not the host's. xD

Ryex

tomorrow it is. (though that will probably be late tonight for me)