[XP] Can DLC easily be made?

Started by Spaceman McConaughey, July 03, 2014, 05:09:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceman McConaughey

Like, would overwriting data files add the new content into the game without any consequences?
And if it does, would it be possible to inject the files into an encrypted project? Like, with an installer of some sort?

Basically, when I have the completed version of ESTA out one day, I plan to keep it alive with DLC (for free).

Blizzard

If you just want an updater, that can be done. If you want commercial DLC, that's harder to pull off.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Spaceman McConaughey

I suppose an updater is more what I was thinking of, yeah.
Not sure why I said DLC specifically. Thanks for the answer 4 reel.

PhoenixFire

Quote from: Blizzard on July 03, 2014, 05:22:15 am
If you just want an updater, that can be done. If you want commercial DLC, that's harder to pull off.

I'm going to agree with Blizz here, mostly. However, you might want to look into how you might be able to use this: http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

If you can somehow manage to figure out which data files are affected with certain update, etc., you could simply overwrite just those files with the new ones. You could also control it a little bit by forcing it to check for a version number, and to only install the latest version/patch if it has the the most recent prior patch installed, ensuring that it won't break the game. As to adding things like weapons, potions, other items, etc., I'm sure there's a way to simply 'append' to the .rxdata files. If I remember correctly, the encoding for them was cracked some time ago, was it not? If that's the case, I assume (could be totally wrong), that you could use a form of text editing commands to simply open the file, append the file, and save it; you would just need to make sure you appended the data needed on EVERY file that the addition of the content affects..
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

G_G

It'd just be easier to have an updater file and keep track of a version number and just download a new encrypted RGSSAD file when it comes to adding new maps, weapons, etc... The only individual files I could see him needing are adding new audio.

PhoenixFire

true, true.. if it's un-encrypted, would it just be a matter of replacing the rxdata files, or am I overthinking this?
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

G_G

Honestly, just replacing the files would do since they're so small anyways.