FFMQ -remake- idea thread

Started by SpritingNomad, July 27, 2014, 10:49:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SpritingNomad

July 27, 2014, 10:49:52 pm Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 06:21:22 pm by SpritingNomad
I want to know what you guys think about it, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I will be remaking all the graphics myself, as well as reworking the story and possibly adding one or two more regions, complete with bosses and crystals (white becomes a regular wizard?)

I have not thought too deeply about any details such as stats and spells yet (plenty of time for that), but i have begun working on a prologue and "Hill of Destiny" scene already.

Here are some basic things i'd like to change so far.
-A bigger non linear world map-
Adding more side quests and areas to actually explore.

-More monster types-
I know there was a lot of recycling going on with palette swaps, so adding monsters from the series, as well a few originals would be great.

-Harder game-
Grinding for bosses and gold as well as better monster skills and special group types.

-Characters stay-
Either it's similar to other FF games in which they all fight together, or i keep it as a two man team with a partner switching feature.

-More tools-
More weapons, armor, and items.

Pretty short list, but i will add more to this thread as i move further in, again, i would appreciate any ideas and info you can share with me, thank you.

e
Found a great site for information, i will add links i use in case anyone is interested.
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Mystic_Quest

Blizzard

July 28, 2014, 01:20:25 am #1 Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 01:23:23 am by Blizzard
I always thought that having only two party members at the same time and only you, the main character actually leveling up, was a huge drawback on the strategic aspects of battle. It made the battles too simple. I definitely agree on changing this. The dungeons could be enriched a bit since most puzzles were simplistic. There were also relatively few items and weapons.

Sure, the entire game was a compact and tight package and at that time it was quite something. But I think that there are many aspects that could be improved upon the original. Especially since the main FF series had a lot more depth to it, even in character development.

Let me put it like this: Whenever I beat the game, I would hunger for more. And that means it has unused potential.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

SpritingNomad

I get what you mean, if you think of anything else in future please let me know.

Blizzard

I think you should leave the jumping. It was needed for some puzzles and mazes. You would have to redesign a few big parts of some dungeons completely if you took it out.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

SpritingNomad

July 29, 2014, 11:12:04 am #4 Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:23:03 am by SpritingNomad
Damn, I don't remember anything about that.., been a couple of years though lol
Maybe better to leave it in.., recently I came across a script for jumping that should work nicely, as long as there is a chance of actually falling and taking some sort of damage.

Well, back to work in a bit (sprite work that is), working on Level Forest at the moment.

BanisherOfEden

Is there any way I can help? FFMQ was my first Final Fantasy, so it hold a lot of nostalgia.
Max characters: 2000; characters remaining: 1952

SpritingNomad

For the moment i would love everyone's opinion, give me a list of the things you think could use changing, or an improvement.
Maybe a few ideas for the CMS and some window skins as well.
I have found a site for the MIDI files (though i have not tested them all) but in the future when there's more content and people can see it's a serious project, we will see about finding someone who can remake or jazz up the original music.

Ah, and an RMXP script for jumping, ..but it might be simple enough with events too (which i'm also terrible at), have to think of what else is needed here though..  

The only reason i don't put out the templates is because the styles will not match up well.