In a class learning python. Anyone program with this?

Started by Magus, August 23, 2014, 10:19:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Magus

Hey guys, I just wanted to know your opinion on Python. This is my first real programming language (besides game maker language, and a little of ruby) that I'm learning in
an online college course at University of Maryland. On the side, I'm also learning via tutorials and an interactive program.
Python is relatively simple and everything is a function. Which means it's always "returning" something, even if its "none."

That aside,

are there any programs you programmed with this?   I like the language so far (though I'll have to view other languages to really judge)-- I noticed a few major programs such as Blender was programmed in Python.
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

Soulshaker3

I never really worked with python but i know some part of ARC is being developed with Python since it is open source you might want to check it out 
Hellow?

Blizzard

IMO Python and Ruby are among the best languages to learn programming, because they are straight-forward and powerful.

ARC's editor is done in Python, but I don't recommend that you check out the source yet. It's highly complicated if you don't know how import and using a bunch of other libraries works and how larger systems are designed.

I've personally started with C (though, I knew QBASIC before that), but I quickly started learning Ruby when I got into RMXP.

I did my first 3 games at Cateia completely in Python.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Soulshaker3

Personally I started with C aswell I knew a bit of lua before that altought I think lua is way simpler than C, C is pretty powerful then I moved to my great love C# which I'm still learning and programming since
Hellow?

Ryex

Pyhton is a great language to learn in, you get the learn all the fundamentals of algorithm design with out having to worry too much about how data is stored and how memory management works. those are still key to learn once it's time to move forward. but the fundamental concepts are much easier to teach with python.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Magus

Quote from: Blizzard on August 23, 2014, 12:36:14 pm
IMO Python and Ruby are among the best languages to learn programming, because they are straight-forward and powerful.

ARC's editor is done in Python, but I don't recommend that you check out the source yet. It's highly complicated if you don't know how import and using a bunch of other libraries works and how larger systems are designed.

I've personally started with C (though, I knew QBASIC before that), but I quickly started learning Ruby when I got into RMXP.

I did my first 3 games at Cateia completely in Python.

I agree with you.  I've picking up on python extremely fast --though --only because I'm dedicating A LOT of time into it, which drastically put me ahead of my classmates. Besides the college class, EVERYDAY, I practice --using tutorials, Codecademy(which is my favorite, even if it is not python 3 but 2), and making basic programs on the python GUI.

My goal in this though is to master python BUT when I create my first major program (game for example): I want it to actually be good. "New" will not be an excuse. (Especially when I'm not 100% new to programming or the idea of it)

I thought about starting in C as well (some of my friends know C+  and a lot of Java) but I decided if my course is teaching in Python, I'd dedicate my time into it.  

Edit:  out of curiousity I took a look at the source "Setup.py"   just to further my knowledge. Thanks to all of the learning I did so far, it wasn't that hard to read. Of course, Setup.py is probably one of the easier reads lol. But I'll educate myself later once I finish my both codeacademy courses and my college course (Intro to Interactive Design --which should be actually called Intro to Python since it's 100% focused on it.)
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

Blizzard

I've heard that PyGame is great for making relatively simple games. You should try it out. That or SDL.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Magus

Quote from: Blizzard on August 24, 2014, 04:38:54 am
I've heard that PyGame is great for making relatively simple games. You should try it out. That or SDL.

Pygame actually utilizes SDL. What I read up so far is pretty good.