iPhone 6. Discuss.

Started by Spaceman McConaughey, September 10, 2014, 11:51:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceman McConaughey

I am excited to get it, even if they are technically playing "catch-up".
(really, though, I cannot think of a single practical, non-gimmicky use for NFC, so I consider its inclusion to be pointless)

Feel free to tell me why you think Android is better, too. i dun cur

Anyways, I prefer the iPhone over Android phones because, quite simple, I prefer its OS.
And I love Apple's App Store, which seems to be a bit better than the Play Store, in terms of content.
I love how polished it is in comparison to Android, and I especially love how consistently smooth and fast it runs.

OS lag and stuttering is indeed a problem with quite a bit of Android phones (example, my first ever Android phone, and my first and second Android tablets, with the second advertised as some fast, powerful thing), and that turns me off from using the devices.

That said, I was prepared to POSSIBLY go Android if Apple didn't announce an iPhone with a bigger screen.

Blizzard

I used to have an iPod Touch and when I switched to Android, it was a relief. The OS without any modifications was so much more advanced and had so many more options. I felt like a whole new world opened up to me. The great thing about Androids is that you can tweak a lot of minor things (e.g. CPU clock depending on what is needed to save battery). Initially it had some bugs and it still freezes/crashes from time to time, but the same is true for iOS. So in that area there was never much of a difference. I agree that iOS performance is better than Android, but iPhones also have inferior hardware which become a bit of a problem during development (e.g. a lot less RAM). But that's not something that the average consumer usually has to worry about.

I personally hate large screens. Sure, don't make the 3.5" like the original iPhone, but the now they're going in the opposite direction again with the 4.7" and 5.5" and even 6" (some Chinese Android devices). I never actually got the feeling that most people wanted that in the first place. O_o Except maybe the Chinese who have a hard time displaying their symbols (since the slightest variation can totally change the meaning of a word). In any case, I understand that Apple has to follow that trend.

It's nice to see that both OSes have evolved somewhat, though. Jailbreaking/rooting has become very simple and sideloading apps on iOS has also become very simple recently.

I agree that NFC is just gimmicky, on both Android and iOS.

Other than that, all I can say it comes down to personal preferences and needs. If you are a power user, you might want to consider an Android, because it's much more open and there are a lot more apps for crazy customization than iOS. The advantage is that you can use most of these apps without rooting now while on iOS you still need Jailbreak to install a different home screen. iOS on the other hand provides a tighter experience and doesn't allow you to fuck up things.

It's a bit disappointing to see that Apple (the company who was so innovative with the first iPhone) has to play catch-up. :/ But I guess that they are standing well enough that they don't have to bother experimenting and innovating anymore. :/

And nobody cares about Windows Phone, because it's shit. xD
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Spaceman McConaughey

Good points all around, breh.

Quote from: Blizzard on September 10, 2014, 12:19:52 pmAnd nobody cares about Windows Phone, because it's shit. xD

yeah that shit is ridick yo

Zexion

Yes something we all agree on hehe. I dunno I just hate how the fricken ios is always asking for a password and then it's one of those disgusting rule filled passwords that I can never remember. Basically the emal never worked even the default one I got with iPad. Not to mention how the icloud storage was just hacked xD yikes thank the Lord my nudes are on Android

Spaceman McConaughey

September 10, 2014, 12:55:01 pm #4 Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:00:06 pm by Sgt. Tuggernuts
What? My iPhone isn't always asking for a password. :|

It only ever asks for my iTunes password when I try to download an app from the App Store, and that's only once in a while.
I have no idea what you're basing that on, but it's certainly not true.

And no, iCloud wasn't hacked; iCloud accounts were compromised in targeted attacks.
Saying iCloud was hacked implies that the entire service was compromised, and it wasn't.
Someone just targeted celebrities with nice tits and lips.

Zexion

It's the same thing they just chose not to waste time on the normies . If they can hack celebs then why would we be any safer xD
And no that password thing is true it happens to my dad too. It's annoying and one of the main reasons I never liked the iPad it literally pops up every time you unlock . And then the alerts for emails. I like them but when you get more than 10 and you have to go through them all ._.

Spaceman McConaughey

September 10, 2014, 01:12:15 pm #6 Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:14:09 pm by Sgt. Tuggernuts
No, it's really not the same thing.
Hacking iCloud accounts individually is not the same as hacking the service itself.
The security of a service's servers and databases is separate from that of user accounts on the service.

If you hack the service, you have everyone's shit.
If you hack specific accounts, you only have the shit of those accounts.

Regarding the password on unlock:
You guys should mess with the security settings on your iPad then, because that isn't normal, nor is it how iOS is supposed to function by default.

EDIT:
Wait, are you talking about the passcode on unlock? Not an iTunes password?
If so, that is a standard feature in iOS, AS WELL as Android.  :facepalm:

Soulshaker3

I've an iPhone 4S and i prefer it a lot more than android phones, the password thing also occurs to me whenever i go to download an app on the appstore it asks for it but i think it isn't that big of a deal to write it. About the phone itself i love the new saphire glass display and getting wider but i do not plan to get the new one in some years since here to get an iphone you have to sell your house,car, current phone, and gaming pc to get the 1st out of 24 parts paid :V:
Hellow?

Spaceman McConaughey

September 10, 2014, 01:22:42 pm #8 Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:31:22 pm by Sgt. Tuggernuts
Eh, price isn't an issue for me.
I get an upgrade every two years, which allows me to purchase phones for much cheaper than they would cost otherwise.

EDIT:
For anyone who LOVES bashing Apple over the whole iCloud thing:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/10/5-million-gmail-passwords-leaked/?ncid=rss_truncated

You can stop now.

ForeverZer0

Quote from: Sgt. Tuggernuts on September 10, 2014, 01:22:42 pm
Eh, price isn't an issue for me.
I get an upgrade every two years, which allows me to purchase phones for much cheaper than they would cost otherwise.

EDIT:
For anyone who LOVES bashing Apple over the whole iCloud thing:
http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/10/5-million-gmail-passwords-leaked/?ncid=rss_truncated

You can stop now.

...but the article even states that it wasn't hacked from the Gmail servers, just individual phishing/hacking/etc. That can be done from any account, not just Gmail.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Zexion

Was about to say dat ^
Totes doesn't affect most savy people I wonder if I'm on the list tho cause I never change my Gmail password

Spaceman McConaughey

:facepalm:

@F0:
No shit. :P

It was the same with iCloud's celebrity nude shit.
I even made that same point with the whole iCloud thing, but seeing as that doesn't matter to people, I wanted to see what everyone would think about the same type of thing happening to Google.

Basically, if you give Apple shit over it happening to them, you can't just say "omg this would never happen to Google".
Though, I have a feeling reading up a few posts would have given you the context you need.

@Zexion:
Again, no shit.
I know you knew the context, too. I just discussed this with you a few posts up.

ForeverZer0

Quote from: Sgt. Tuggernuts on September 10, 2014, 01:41:33 pm
@F0:
No shit. :P
"omg this would never happen to Google".

...but it didn't happen to Google. It happened to some people who happen to use Google. The same would have happened if it was Yahoo, Microsoft, or any other server. It really has nothing to do with Google. I fail to see the relevance of the link to the topic at hand, but if you feel it somehow strengthens your argument, by all means go ahead.

I could really care less, and I have never even heard of Apple getting hacked before, so I am not really choosing any particular side on this issue, I am just pointing out that it has nothing to do with the topic, and is not really a valid point to try and argue and defend.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Spaceman McConaughey

September 11, 2014, 12:58:34 am #13 Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:01:29 am by Sgt. Tuggernuts
No, that's just poor wording on my part.
I didn't mean Google as in "Google". You're focusing on semantics.

Something happens to iCloud users that compromises them, everyone is up in Apple's ass about how much better Google is with securing shit.
Something happens to Gmail users that compromises them, I just wanna see what people think.

And yeah, I know it has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but here's why I brought it up:
Quote from: Zexion on September 10, 2014, 12:40:57 pm
Not to mention how the icloud storage was just hacked xD yikes thank the Lord my nudes are on Android

If you want to get on anybody's ass about bringing this up in the topic, there's your guy.
I'm not going to just let all of the blame fall on me. :|

Blizzard

I just wanted to add that I almost shed a tear when I see how civilized you are being in this discussion. <3 I this was anywhere else on the Internet, a flame war would have already consumed half the forum.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Spaceman McConaughey

You make my hivetesticle blush.

Ryex

Frankly they are both flawed systems. Ios is locked and custom crafted to Apple hardware and will only ever work on apple hardware, this is kinda Apple's thing, it's their development philosophy, it's in everything they do, control the user experience do the the last detail and ensure it's finely crafted and polished. I can't blame they create high quality products, but I disagree on a fundamental level to their approach, there can only ever be one user experience but people are infinitely variable and that one experience will never fit anyone perfectly.

Android on the other hand is NOT a locked system, and every single vendor has built a different android experience, heck individual Mod crafters create even more variety, all of them building goff each other borrowing ideas and improving the. The entire community benefits and new ways to use it appear and are iterated on much faster than apple could ever dream, there is a reason they are playing catch up and will likely forever be, thats why they are trying to break new ground with their silly watch. It's why their are always breaking new ground, they can't keep up once everyone else starts building on their ideas, thats also a major reason they are so aggressive with their patents and copyrights, they want to hold the market as long as possible. I've said it a few times in the past but I'll say it again here. "Apple does it first, Everyone else does it better"

But as I said Android is flawed, Java. It's a powerful versatile language but it's limited in the experience it can provide and limiting for developers as any tech they use has to tie into java. ONe of the big reason I'm looking forward to Ubuntu phones and tablets will be because there will FINALLY be a real os and expansive kernel to build on, true mobile computers can finally come to the market instead of the comparatively severely limited devices we have now.

As for NFC, it's gimmicky now, but the tech is sound and it WILL be important inside the decade. payment systems are about to change bigtime and apple is guessing right in that department. but payment systems are just a small part of what NFC can do, chips can be installed in door locks or really ANY device ever and your phone becomes an all access pass to everything thats actually secure unlike RF chips, set you phone down on your nightstand where you've taped a NFC card to the surface? stored instructions change it to a preset mode for the night, sets alarms, alerts you on battery level, brings up the next days calendar, and communicates with other devices over bluetooth to do similar tasks like set lighting levels ect. pick it up and it goes to "around the house mode, use it to lock you front door and it goes to "travel mode", set it down on your desk at work, "work mode" links with you computer, and logs in for you (2 factor auth?), syncs new information from your work computer ect.  NFC can do a shit load of things, skys the limit there.

tap it to your media center and pass the track it playing along with the current position to transition flawlessly form headphones to living room speakers? heck I could sit here all day thinking of cool things.

Frankly nothing in the Iphone 6 is revolutionary or even impressive aside from the offering of a 126GB model which quite frankly is a bit much for even the guy who carries his media library around.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Blizzard

Very well said.

NFC may be the future of payment, but for now banks are issuing NFC stickers since they don't think that apps are secure enough yet. That means that NFC could wait a few more years, maybe even a decade. Once NFC becomes mainstream for all the crazy functionality you can think of, there will already be a much better place for them, maybe even in chips that we get implanted in our hands or something.

ForeverZer0

Quote from: Blizzard on September 11, 2014, 02:32:47 am
...maybe even in chips that we get implanted in our hands or something.

The mark of the beast!

Blizzard