Vita Game

Started by WhiteRose, September 25, 2014, 05:47:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteRose

September 25, 2014, 05:47:19 pm Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 09:56:10 pm by WhiteRose
I'm going on a roadtrip this weekend and for the first time in a long while, I'm having trouble deciding which game I want to purchase. (Usually, even when I want to get something new to play, there's just not anything worth buying. Haha.)
I got a Vita a few weeks ago, as I saw an unbeatable deal in the local classifieds, and I have been honestly shocked at the fantastic library of games it has - it might not have objectively as many games as other consoles, but it has a ton of games that, according to my personal tastes, are fantastic. My tastes tend to be more "eastern" than "western," meaning I have more fun with games like Final Fantasy, Persona, 999, and so on as opposed to Skyrim, FPS games, Grand Theft Auto, etc. (though I will say that I loved the decidedly western Mass Effect series.) With PS classics, PSP games, and any pre-N64 era titles (due to emulation) being playable and some of the best PS2 and PS3 RPGs having been ported to it, I have almost literally every one of my favorites games in the same place - and it's a handheld! :D
Anyway, as I mentioned, I'd like to select a new game since I'll be on the road for a while. Does anyone have any particular suggestions that I should try? Here are a few of the games that I have my eye on:
  • Disgaea 4 - I played the first one on PSP, and honestly only got a couple of levels into it. However, I love the concepts in it and the sense of humor, so I think I probably just have the give the series another good, honest try. The main gameplay elements - SRPG but heavy on more typical JRPG elements, "unlimited" leveling, ultimate unbeatable super-bosses, etc - all seem to be right up my alley, so this is one that I'm considering.
  • Final Fantasy X | X-2 - I played Final Fantasy X to death on the PS2, beating the US version and, after getting my characters insanely powerful and then realizing that the super-bosses were only available in the PAL release, the European version, that one as well (never actually did get around to beating Penance, though.) I also really liked Final Fantasy X-2; admittedly, the story was pretty bad, but it never takes itself too seriously and the combat is fantastic. Since I already know I like this game, that makes it an easy choice, but since I've played it before, I also wouldn't mind getting something new instead.
  • Danganronpa - I have heard amazing things about this game, and it seems to be somewhere along the lines of 999, which I really, really enjoyed. It's classified as a "horror" game, and though I know that that probably isn't the most accurate genre for it, I do actually like horror elements in gaming (I recently started Corpse Party and have really enjoyed that, though between my school schedule and work, I haven't had time to get too far into it. Besides, the time to play it has to be right, for that type of game! Haha.)
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia ReBirth1 - Though it received mixed reviews, it seems like many of those who didn't find it enjoyable aren't fans of the genre to begin with. It looks like it's a pretty typical JRPG with a plot based on a parody of the gaming industry, and a cute art style. Even if I don't get this one now, I'd like to pick it up at some point, because the premise seems funny and it looks like a lot of fun.
  • Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment - I watched SAO myself a few months ago, and actually really enjoyed it (the second half was pretty average, but the first half was spectacular; in my opinion, they should have ended it at the first "ending.") However, even those who haven't watched the anime say that it's a great game. It "pretends" to be an MMO, but it is entirely single player, which seems like a really interesting premise, though admittedly doesn't appeal to everyone. I'm love to give it a try, but I'm not sure if this is the one that I want to get.

Has anyone played any of these games who would like to recommend them (or against them)? I kind of wish that the Vita was like the PC or PSP where I could download games and try them for a while to see if I like them before buying the (usually better functioning) non-downloaded version.

A couple of final notes: I already have Persona 4 Golden, so no need to recommend that one. (For the record, it's amazing - one of my favorite games.) I also don't typically enjoy multiplayer games or the multiplayer component of games, so I don't know if I would be very interested in any game where that is a major draw.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to take a look through all of my ramblings. :)

Wizered67

Just wanted to say that I played Danganronpa this last weekend and really enjoyed it. I wouldn't necessarily describe it as "horror", but it certainly has some horror elements. I actually stumbled across Danganronpa after playing the Ace Attorney games. Generally speaking, Ace Attorney has more emphasis on pure logic while Danganronpa adds some action elements. I personally thought it was a really nice twist, but some would disagree, but I guess it depends what you're looking for.

Long story short, I would definitely recommend Danganronpa.

legacyblade

I agree with the Danganronpa recommendation. It's a really fun game :) I'm a semi-big fan of JRPGs, but I can't get into the Neptunia games. I see the style of humor they're attempting. But the problem is they're just not very good at it :/ I end up cringing at all the jokes, and not in a good way. The whole experience of Neptunia games is just painful to me :P So I'd not recommend that. I can't really speak to the rest of the games on there (though I remember enjoying Final Fantasy X when I was younger, I haven't played it recently enough to give an accurate critique).

WhiteRose

Thanks to you both. :) I'll probably go for Danganronpa, then; good to know that Neptunia is a less-than-stellar experience. I'll avoid that one unless it goes on a really great sale or something.

Spaceman McConaughey

I dunno if you enjoy shooters, but if you DO decide to get one for the Vita, get Killzone: Mercenary.
It is by far the best FPS on the Vita, with an insane amount of polish to both graphics and gameplay. Packed with content, as well.

Every other FPS on the Vita is garbage in comparison.

Other suggestions:
1. Uncharted: Golden Abyss
2. Gravity Rush
3. Wipeout 2048
4. PS1 and PSP games

Ranquil

What about Persona 4 Golden? ;o
Quote from: Some guy on FacebookLife is like a penis. It's short but it feels so long when it gets hard.

Quote from: Steven WinterburnBefore you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

WhiteRose

Quote from: Sgt. Tuggernuts on September 27, 2014, 06:10:45 am
I dunno if you enjoy shooters, but if you DO decide to get one for the Vita, get Killzone: Mercenary.
It is by far the best FPS on the Vita, with an insane amount of polish to both graphics and gameplay. Packed with content, as well.

Every other FPS on the Vita is garbage in comparison.

Other suggestions:
1. Uncharted: Golden Abyss
2. Gravity Rush
3. Wipeout 2048
4. PS1 and PSP games

Thanks. I actually don't typically like FPS games, but I've heard nothing but good things about Killzone and I do pick up an FPS every once in a while (I recently played through Bioshock Infinite, as a matter of fact, and that it was really well done. I actually enjoyed the setting more than anything else about the game, though; it was incredibly atmospheric. Anyway, now I'm off topic. Haha.) so I'll be sure to grab it if it goes on a good sale.

Quote from: Ranquil on September 27, 2014, 04:27:26 pm
What about Persona 4 Golden? ;o

Quote from: WhiteRose on September 25, 2014, 05:47:19 pm
A couple of final notes: I already have Persona 4 Golden, so no need to recommend that one.

;)

I do love Persona 4 Golden, though; Persona 4 was one of my favorite games even before Golden was announced, and Golden adds nothing but good things (well, and the completely unnecessary online feature, but that's easily ignored. XD)

legacyblade

Golden actually adds an epilogue and an entirely new character's route. I've heard it adds extra cutscenes to the existing characters, but I'm not sure. But I think MOST of the after-the-final-boss cutscenes you get are unique to golden (like the skii-trip).