A few "noobie" Questions.

Started by fjshrr5, October 01, 2014, 06:12:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fjshrr5

Hey folks, I have just a few questions for you all regarding rpg maker XP.

1. Is it possible, To have two different types of sound effect/music on a map? How would i do that?
Example: Character is walking through the woods and stumbles on to a beach (on the same map)
The song playing in the woods area, changes to that of ocean sound effects and ambiet sounds..
(Did i word that in an understanding way? Hope i did, sorry if i didn't)

2. Sprites, Is there any way to make my own sprites, without needing to learn to draw? Lol, i can't draw to save my life,
I found a sprite creator, but it was bugged and did not work for me.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this, And appreciate any help i may or may NOT get.
Thanks a bunch!

KK20

1. You cannot have two BGM, BGS, or ME playing at the same time--you can have a BGM and a BGS play at the same time however. You can have multiple SE play at the same time. I know there are audio libraries (along with a script) out there that can bypass this.

2. Ask someone else to make them for you. This applies to, literally, every situation:
I want a custom script but I can't code.
I want a specific song but I can't compose.
I want a house but I can't build it.
I want food but I can't cook.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

R.A.V.S.O

well I'll try to summarize as best as I can...

1.  RPGXP uses 4 types of "channels" for sounds, BGM, BGS, ME, SE (Background Music, Background Sounds, Menu Effects, Sound effects)
     Basically it's possible to have BGM and BGS play at once, however, both the BGM and BGS are the only ones (I think) that loop,
     should you call ME and SE, they only play once and stop.
     now then, what I'd do in your case, is have the forest music (assuming it's music you want to keep throughout the entire map)
     under BGM, then as you approach the beach, have the BGS handle the beach's sound effects (I'd draw a line of player touch triggered
     events to start/stop the BGS depending how close you are to the beach)

2.  Afaik, it's highly recommended you know to sprite if you want some quality sprites that actually fit in your game, however you can always
     check for spriting sites (spriters resource comes to mind) to find sprites you might like and use them (give credit if they tell you to ;D)
     Don't like to give credit? there's other sites that handle royalty-free sprites. but google is your friend for that one though.

P.S: We do have a sprite request section if you're interested (and patient enough)
Personality Test results
Spoiler: ShowHide

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

fjshrr5

Thanks for the reply, For question number 1, that sucks  :( I figured there would of been a way to get it to work with events, i've been trying for a few minutes but with no luck... Putting event tiles in the walkway entrance of one part of a room, To stop the other sides music, And play the area i'm walking into's ambient sounds, And reverse the effect upon leaving (walking back out).. I will probably try to do it a hundred times over, before i give up on it. It sounds like a cool thing to have. Nothing is impossible. unless of course you want to be a super saiyan. :P

As far as your answer to question 2. I could do that,  I've been trying to learn ruby but, going to take me awhile. none of it makes any lick of sense to me LOL!
I've been trying to follow some scrips and edit them and see what happens. but that isn't helping me any, since i got no clue how to speak the lingo.  

ForeverZer0

MCI Audio Player can play on multiple channels, though it also does have some limitations.

http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=11778.0
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

fjshrr5

Thanks for the reply R.A.V.S.O :P

I'll try to learn how to make sprites, if there are good enough tutorials out there, and i'll fiddle with the events for the sound.

locowhiteknight

One of the users here created a pretty cool tutorial/game for learning rmxp. You could download that and learn a lot of tricks from it. I think it was called: Heretic's Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts by Crapcom... uhh no that's not right... Heretic86.  ;)

Link:

Good luck!

"Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?"

fjshrr5

Thanks!

Quote from: locowhiteknight on October 01, 2014, 07:39:55 pm
One of the users here created a pretty cool tutorial/game for learning rmxp. You could download that and learn a lot of tricks from it. I think it was called: Heretic's Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts by Crapcom... uhh no that's not right... Heretic86.  ;)

Link:

Good luck!