Would RPG Maker be fit for my purpose?

Started by peperbol, October 28, 2014, 08:20:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

peperbol

Hey guys/girls!

I've an idea to make a turn-based tile-based local-multiplayer Strategygame, without story nor connection between multiple matches.
I was planning to make the game in Unity since i have previous experience with Unity, but i was wondering if RPG Maker would fit better for my purpose.
Graphicly, it doesn't has to be too fancy. And i'm not affraid to program oceans of code.
I don't have any experience with RPG Maker.

Peper,
(Sorry if i wrote this topic in the wrong section, wasn't sure since it is about RPGM, but not only RPGM.)

Blizzard

If you're an experienced coder and don't want to bother with 3D, RMXP would be a good choice. BUT! RMXP has problems with networking. So if you have a good solution in Unity already present (and I know that there are plugins/packages for this), Unity would be the better choice even if you had to implement the tile-based system and sprites and all the other stuff.

I think Unity would be the better choice altogether. RMXP has its limits and it kind of loses its point if you have to code the majority of things anyway.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

peperbol

Well I'm planning to make it run locally, to not get bothered with network issues. And it's rather supposed to be a "party"-game (or however you would call it) than a nolife-playalldaylong-game :D
I was mainly wondering how limited you are with RMXP. I know there are still a ton of possibilities to customize but i don't know how far it goes, and that's something you can only get to know with experience.

TY for the input :)

ForeverZer0

The limitations kind of depend on what you are trying to accomplish.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

KK20

If my Advance Wars Engine is any indication of what you could expect to pull off, then RPG Maker, so far, sounds ideal. If it's just a "for fun" game and you're not really doing this for knowledge/experience, go for it. I haven't worked with Unity personally so I can't put my opinion on that.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Zexion

A lot of the limits that rmxp has, are being extended by the programmers here at CP. For me the biggest issue was always the lag and screen tearing. There are now several ways to fix that. There are audio modules for extending audio functions (adding things like seek, pause, etc.), and there are tons of tilemap rewrites to suit your needs. RMXP is pretty great :P

dunno bout unity

Magus

Unity all the way. Rpg maker XP is great but is a mess.
LEVEL ME DOWN. THE ANTI-BLIZZ GROUP IS AMONG YOU... Do it for the chick below...She watches..<br />

peperbol

Okay:) Ty for the input, I'm not completely sure due to the mixed opinions but i think i'm gonna continue with unity since i already know it better :) thanks a lot :)