[XP][VX][VXA] Rpg.NET - Developer Release (Updated 7.30.14)

Started by ForeverZer0, July 23, 2014, 08:42:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

KK20

Quote from: LiTTleDRAgo on July 24, 2014, 01:42:47 am
@kk20
I was thinking for small / mid sized, entire map is okay,
but for bigger maps, maybe it will be like continuous maps,

and if we can save the drawed tilemaps into external files,
probably it can save some memory if carefully played.
(dispose & reload the bitmap & skip redrawing entire map) .

Sounds logical, but who knows what the computer will think. Drawing the tilemap is not the issue--it's updating the bitmap too frequently. Saving a bitmap drawing I don't think will help with speed. As for the breaking up the map into smaller ones, what if I'm at a location where all four corners of 4 separate maps meet? You'd need to save the bitmaps in memory for that, following your idea. Otherwise, we come full circle back to "updating the bitmap frequently" again.
also, we can cut down the number of sprites if there is no tile in specific rows / priority.
ex: if there are no 'priority 5' tiles in the map,
then we can dispose & replace all 'priority 5' sprites into a dummy (like I did in custom resolution 9.7e)

I found that calling Sprite.new gets pretty slow. The dummy idea was probably one of the reasons for the lag I was getting. And I think "cutting priority" should be left as a configuration option. Don't forget about $game_map.data[x,y,z] = n. It's a necessity for my project.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

Blizzard

Quote from: KK20 on July 26, 2014, 06:29:35 pm
I found that calling Sprite.new gets pretty slow.

@F0: How are you organizing the sprites?
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

ForeverZer0

* UPDATES SCRIPT AND LIBRARY *

I added a bunch of stuff, I don't even remember everything, lol. Here's what I do remember:

• Added custom Input module to script, with high efficiency input handling in the library. Allows for detecting double-clicks, mouse movement, mouse-wheel, etc. I hope to improve this by the next release to also, maybe add some new stuff like vibration. I also need to add an easier way to find the configuration, its buried at the bottom of the script, but since this isn't a final release, I am not worried about it yet.

• Added anti-aliasing to the bitmap drawing methods

• Add vertical text drawing

• Added gradient text drawing (both horizontal and vertical)

• Added non-destructive variations for all the bitmap effects

• Various Sprite effects

• Added script call window

Quote from: Blizzard on July 27, 2014, 02:25:17 am
Quote from: KK20 on July 26, 2014, 06:29:35 pm
I found that calling Sprite.new gets pretty slow.

@F0: How are you organizing the sprites?

Sorry, didn't see until now. I haven't figured out exactly yet. I was messing around with simply using multiple Tilemaps, and not rewriting the class at all, but ran into Viewport problems. I don't know if I will start from scratch again, or continue to see what I can do to fix the Viewport bugs. The multiple tilemap method is very efficient and simple to execute aside from that one detail, so it is definitely something to look into further.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

KK20

But then it won't be compatible with the other engines I presume, definitely for XPA.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

ForeverZer0

True, but worse case scenario is make a couple different types. Tilemap is on the backburner right this second.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

LiTTleDRAgo

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on July 30, 2014, 05:15:47 pm
Sorry, didn't see until now. I haven't figured out exactly yet. I was messing around with simply using multiple Tilemaps, and not rewriting the class at all, but ran into Viewport problems. I don't know if I will start from scratch again, or continue to see what I can do to fix the Viewport bugs. The multiple tilemap method is very efficient and simple to execute aside from that one detail, so it is definitely something to look into further.

I remember creating such a script: http://littledrago.blogspot.com/2014/01/rgss-drago-custom-resolution.html
to solve the viewport problem I had to create multiple instance for everything such as fog, panorama, etc
and in the end it became full of problem when used with other scripts that relies on Spriteset_Map

ForeverZer0

Quote from: LiTTleDRAgo on July 31, 2014, 05:44:04 am
I remember creating such a script: http://littledrago.blogspot.com/2014/01/rgss-drago-custom-resolution.html
to solve the viewport problem I had to create multiple instance for everything such as fog, panorama, etc
and in the end it became full of problem when used with other scripts that relies on Spriteset_Map

I made it in a way where the "main" viewport is the size of the screen, and the surrounding viewports are 640x480, and the primary viewport overlaps them. The only problem is that priorities get screwy when a character is on the far right or bottom of the screen, outside the top-left tilemap. Depending on the order of creation and Z values, they either go "underneath" the outer tilemaps, or are "on top", where tiles with higher priority are under them.

I though of maybe trying to use multiple character sprites as well, one for each viewport, but now I feel things are starting to messy with that approach. I could only create them as needed, but the very fact I need to do that tells me the approach might just be flawed.

My idea now is to figure out how to scroll the screen, playing with the ox and oy values where the screen can remain centered and move appropriately, but the main viewport is always covering the entire screen. Don't even ask how I plan to accomplish this yet, lol, I haven't figured it out yet.

Loveless

Sorry for the necro, but is this still being worked on at all?