[RESOLVED] Two very stumping questions about ABS compatibility with RPG Maker XP

Started by 1supermiguel, December 17, 2014, 07:13:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

1supermiguel

I am not sure if I posted this in the correct section so I apologize if I did, but this just seemed like the most appropriate section to post this out of the others on the forums. Anyways, my two questions are, that have been stumping my progress further with this ABS script and RPG Maker XP compatability:

1. How do I make it so that when an enemy dies, they do not respawn anymore?

And:

2. How do I make it so that after an enemy dies, a treasure chest with an item appears in their place? I know how I would do this with normal RPG Maker XP, but how to do it with ABS just completely baffles me, because since ABS is its own separate Action RPG system in its own, it wouldn't work appropriate with the normal RPG Maker way of doing things which would be like after the battle sequence was terminated, dialogue would automatically be able to be displayed if the battle was victorious which you could then branch self switches which could turn the enemy into a treasure chest capable of giving you an item, but with ABS, that just does not work as since again it is its own battle system, when an enemy dies it disappears, I haven't been able to figure out a way to make it so that if the enemy's health reaches 0, then for it to 1. not respawn, as said above, and 2. to make it turn into a treasure chest capable of giving an item.

So if anyone could help with these two questions, ESPECIALLY the second one, it'd be greatly appreciated so that way I could continue my game progression with the ABS System. Thanks! :haha:

Blizzard

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

1supermiguel

Quote from: Blizzard on December 17, 2014, 07:30:50 am
Which ABS are you using? Each ABS works in a different way.

Oh they do? I thought they were all similar but just had bug fixes or  new features or something added. My bad. Sorry. :facepalm:
Anyways, the ABS I am using is version 2.87.

ForeverZer0

He is asking if you are using Blizz-ABS or not, which I would guess by the version that you are.
There are other ABS's other than Blizz-ABS.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

1supermiguel

Quote from: ForeverZer0 on December 17, 2014, 07:41:25 am
He is asking if you are using Blizz-ABS or not, which I would guess by the version that you are.
There are other ABS's other than Blizz-ABS.

Oh. My bad again. :facepalm: Yeah I am using the Blizz-ABS and it is version 2.87. So...about my questions...what do I do? Help please. :(

Moshan

Hello!
First of all, please read the manual if you encounter any problem understanding the functions of BABS before asking for help.

So...to disable the respawn function search in the first part of BABS for this line: RESPAWN_TIME. Setting this value to 0 (RESPAWN_TIME = 0) will disable respawn.
Quote from: The BABS ManualThis option can be changed in-game by using an event Call Script command with following syntax: $game_system.respawn_time = POSSIBLE_VALUE

For your second question I suggest you to use a Drop Sprite. Check the manual for this!

1supermiguel

Quote from: Moshan on December 17, 2014, 08:50:55 am
Hello!
First of all, please read the manual if you encounter any problem understanding the functions of BABS before asking for help.

So...to disable the respawn function search in the first part of BABS for this line: RESPAWN_TIME. Setting this value to 0 (RESPAWN_TIME = 0) will disable respawn.
Quote from: The BABS ManualThis option can be changed in-game by using an event Call Script command with following syntax: $game_system.respawn_time = POSSIBLE_VALUE

For your second question I suggest you to use a Drop Sprite. Check the manual for this!

I did consult the manual. That was the first place I looked in hopes of figuring out these two questions but it didn't help. The "RESPAWN_TIME" is set to 0, which should disable it, which it is disabled, but if you leave the room and come back, the enemy still respawns again. I've tested this multiple times, though they shouldn't right? I don't know if I need to include some other code or something to make it so after they are killed they NEVER respawn again, even when changing rooms. I need this for sub-bosses and main bad guys. The closest thing I got to this was "Creating a lifeless object" but I am not sure if I were to set that to the primary enemy group if that would work entirely. And for the second half of my questions, I could use the default Item drop system, but that doesn't give the player the same feeling of victory, that same satisfying feeling like the entire battle was worth it, like after all their troubles finally they've succeeded, like if a chest would if one would appear where the enemy was, gave the user the item reward they deserved for that area along with a sweet victory song to boot. Well, to me it wouldn't anyways, I am thinking about the players. Thanks anyways for the help man though, at least you tried and it was appreciated. But anyways, anyone else have any suggestions or help for my two questions? Please respond. :(

Moshan

To prevent enemies "respawning" when you go back to that specific map you have to put a Control Self Switch to ON in that enemy event page. Then just make a new event page which is available only when that respective Self Switch is on.
Take a look at this:
Spoiler: ShowHide

1supermiguel

Quote from: Moshan on December 17, 2014, 03:38:03 pm
To prevent enemies "respawning" when you go back to that specific map you have to put a Control Self Switch to ON in that enemy event page. Then just make a new event page which is available only when that respective Self Switch is on.
Take a look at this:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Wait so the self switches still work? Like if the enemy, using ABS's system dies, it will still follow what is on the command box? Like self switches or dialogue and stuff? I thought ABS like would override that function or something once I put the "\e[]" in front of its name. So I can still do self switches and they will still initiate when the enemy is defeated using ABS's battle system? And I can still give them special dialogue and stuff as well?

KK20

Read section 4.3.8. Custom Event Triggers
Any event code inside the enemy event will execute when it is killed.

I did notice, however, that the death sound is played twice. Out of curiosity, I even made the second page have a graphic and it performed the death animation on it as well.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

1supermiguel

Quote from: KK20 on December 17, 2014, 04:03:37 pm
Read section 4.3.8. Custom Event Triggers
Any event code inside the enemy event will execute when it is killed.

I did notice, however, that the death sound is played twice. Out of curiosity, I even made the second page have a graphic and it performed the death animation on it as well.

Just tested it out and it works! I must have overlooked that part. And wow...what an epic fail on my part that I never tested it out....oh man. :facepalm: I should have had a V8....well thanks for answering my question! That solves both my questions now that I know that those command events still work with the ABS system! Thanks so much to all who helped, it was greatly appreciated, from all of you! And I guess that settles this issue. Thanks again to everyone who helped! :D And btw...also sorry for wasting anybody's time with this, I should have tested it before wasting all of your time making a post about it...I am sorry. :( Well, despite I wasting your time, thanks again for taking the time out to help me. It is greatly appreciated. Thanks again to all of you and again sorry for wasting your time! :(