[C#] The best way to make a dialogue box in Unity?

Started by Ranquil, February 02, 2015, 08:02:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranquil

February 02, 2015, 08:02:50 am Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:05:52 am by Ranquil
O hai!

At the moment I'm working on a Unity game project with a team at school. I've taken it to myself to attempt making a dialogue box for the game.
The thing is, I don't really know how to make one.

What I'm asking is: What would be the best way to start make one?

The dialogue box is to be similar to message boxes in the RPG Maker series; uniform shape, size and position, able to show 3 to 5 rows of text and the contents of the text can be customized according to what needs to be told to the player. Because the size of the box will always be the same (or at least with the same aspect ratio) no fancy systemset graphics are needed, just one picture for the box should do. Later, I can try to add buttons to the box but at the moment they aren't exactly a priority.

I know the basics of C#; I know how variables, methods, conditions, loops, objects and the like work. I'm still new to Unity-specific terms though but I'm learning it more and more at school.
I've also experimented with image dimensions and I can adjust the box size in Unity according to the screen size, so that's not a problem.

I'm not asking for an in-depth tutorial on how to make one (but if you know one, feel free to send a link!). What I'm asking for is some pointers on where to start and what'd be a practical way to do it regarding the fact that the box should be able to be called whenever needed and have whatever text needs to be told to the player. :)
Quote from: Some guy on FacebookLife is like a penis. It's short but it feels so long when it gets hard.

Quote from: Steven WinterburnBefore you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.