System Help

Started by TheHackMan, August 23, 2008, 07:24:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHackMan

Well I recently picked up on an old project I had started a while ago. For the most part things were pretty good, I have been doing a lot of map reworking and adding more and whatnot but my problem comes in with the battle system. I completely f**ked that up when I was younger and now everything is out of wack. I am wanting to make a nice long set of monsters from level 1-70 and some weps/armor that would need upgrading around every 15 levels if you want to stand a chance. Right now I got the basic monsters along with a few extras I added and the basic set of weps and armor that come preloaded and preset with the game. I am looking for a tutorial or some suggestions or some help to adjust the system so as characters level the armor can fit easily with that level and whatnot. So how do I make a good battle system where things are not really tough to kill but not so easy you can wipe through a field of monsters in 10 seconds flat.

Starrodkirby86

Sounds to me like you want your monsters to have dynamic stats or something...So then the easy monsters won't be so easy when you fight them again...there should be a script of that somewhere, if you're talking about XP hopefully. If you want the long arduous way of getting a monster even, you need to use some conditionals of a hero's level, common events, multiple Monster Type things (Like Sahagin with bad stats, and a Sahagin with good stats), or something like that. I can't seem to get myself off that some scripting would be needed however. Sorry.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

TheHackMan

Well not so much dynamic monsters although that doesn't sound like a bad idea. I am wanting to have some monsters that are good for example good for a level 1-5 and after that since the xp is so minimal you can't really get anywhere at level 30 by fighting them and other monsters will be good for the level 30 but not good for a level 50 and whatnot. I have a feeling though its going to end up with me having to constantly tweak and mess with each monster, weapon, and armor to get them to match up along with the stats of each character as well.
Perhaps someone has a tutorial about what each stat for making monsters does to affect its power in a battle? I saw one about characters but not one with the monsters or weps/armor explained(unless I missed that)

Starrodkirby86

Sounds to me like you want to know what algorithm RPG Maker XP uses to determine the strength of a monster. To find an algorithm, just look into the Battle Scene Scripts and find what you think is the algorithm. If that isn't the case and you just want to deal with Experience giving, set the monster experiences to certain things, and set the experience curves of the actors to certain things. Yes, you have to experiment unfortunately.

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

TheHackMan

Well part of it is when I am making a monster I see Evasion, is that the chance the monster evades the players attack(or the player evades the monsters attack perhaps), what is Phys and how is attack and strength different, those sorts of things. I am looking to do a complete overhaul to my system(characters, monsters, items, weps, etc) and am not sure exactly where to start or if anyone has any tips/ideas on how I can go about redoing this(without tweaking and retweaking and testing thousands of times for each different variable).

Blizzard

The battle algorithms can be found in the methods attack_effect, skill_effect and item_effect of the Game_Battler classes.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

TheHackMan

Hmmm, the algorithms I might modify at a later date *makes a note*
Any tutorials on how to make monsters, armor, or weapons that explains the basics of what each stat does that goes along with it(especially the b, a, c, d, e system with stats and effects).

Berans

Have a look in RM's helpfile. It outlines all these things, including all the battle formulas