NPC population

Started by phillip1756, February 22, 2015, 01:03:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

phillip1756

I'm making a game set in a modern city and i'm not sure how many NPCs to put in. I was thinking 40 per neighbourhood (there's going to be 6 or 7 neighbourhoods) but 40 would be too much because I'd need to make schedules and graphics for like 280 NPCs  and the schedules are different depending on what day it is and what chapter you're on. at the same time something like 10 would be too few and the neighbourhoods would look too empty. What's a good number to put?

KK20

Depends on how important this feature is to the game and how big your maps are. If this is like Harvest Moon where NPCs are essential to the game, you should go all out and not complain about hard work (that's what makes good games after all, especially for RPG Maker games where standing out of the norm is essential for success). If it's like any traditional RPG where the NPCs just spout nonsense or tips, then you don't really need a whole lot.

You should follow a logarithmic curve where the x-axis is your map size and the y-axis is the number of NPCs you should have.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

phillip1756

Quote from: KK20 on February 22, 2015, 03:58:32 pm
Depends on how important this feature is to the game and how big your maps are. If this is like Harvest Moon where NPCs are essential to the game, you should go all out and not complain about hard work (that's what makes good games after all, especially for RPG Maker games where standing out of the norm is essential for success). If it's like any traditional RPG where the NPCs just spout nonsense or tips, then you don't really need a whole lot.

You should follow a logarithmic curve where the x-axis is your map size and the y-axis is the number of NPCs you should have.

Most of the NPCs will be important because everything in the game will have a purpose but i'm not sure how i'll manage to make a lot because i don't have a team and i'm having to make a lot of custom resources plus i was thinking of possibly having voice actors and i'd need to find alot of voice actors for that many NPCs

KK20

Then I'd say you're biting off way more than you can chew. If you have been harboring doubt of your ability to do such a thing, why even do it? Scale back, go to the drawing boards, and rethink what you are capable of doing.

Other Projects

phillip1756

Quote from: KK20 on February 22, 2015, 04:57:27 pm
Then I'd say you're biting off way more than you can chew. If you have been harboring doubt of your ability to do such a thing, why even do it? Scale back, go to the drawing boards, and rethink what you are capable of doing.

I can probably do it if i cut out the voice acting but i reckon its gonna take maybe 2 and abit years minimum to finish

KK20

If it must take that long to make a game that's actually worth playing, then do it. I've been working on my project for a good 3+ years now and I'm still not done with the engine yet.

Other Projects

Blizzard

I've spent 4 years on CP. But then again, I'm persistent. Most people get bored after a few months and give up.
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.