Releasing Scripts with LOTS of Bugs and Known Issues?

Started by Heretic86, March 25, 2015, 03:26:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Heretic86

March 25, 2015, 03:26:01 am Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:50:50 am by Heretic86
What are your guys' thoughts on releasing a pack of scripts that have many known bugs and issues?

Redacted: Collection is released and as bug free as I can make it.
Current Scripts:
Heretic's Moving Platforms

Current Demos:
Collection of Art and 100% Compatible Scripts

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

ForeverZer0

Why not just remove the looping maps that is causing the problem and release it?
As far as being "SDK-ish", it is already likely to be doomed to never be used, therefore it would probably be a wiser idea to simply break them up and just release the scripts individually instead of as a collection. It is also more likely that most people who do use any of them will not be using every script in the "collection", and the unused ones will simply be extra clutter, so my opinion would be individual would be the way to go.

If they all share some portions of code, simply post up the shared parts of code as a separate script, and let others know that if they are to use any of these scripts, they also need to have use the "base" code.
I am done scripting for RMXP. I will likely not offer support for even my own scripts anymore, but feel free to ask on the forum, there are plenty of other talented scripters that can help you.

Heretic86

That is basically what I did.

You are right, base code likely wont be used by anyone unless required by another script, which is broken up into quite a few different scripts.  There are quite a few of them already, and they all have a crapton of features.

- Diagonal Stairs
- Dowhill Ice
- NPCs on Event Tiles
- Restrict Tile Passages (needed for Vehicles)
- Restrict Bush Passages (sounds useless but has more features than just Deny By Bush)
- Vehicles
- Hotfoot Tiles
- Loop Maps (only graphical glitches)
- Pendulums
- Compass
- Circular Sprite Movement

The biggest issue I currently have is performance.  I was really hoping that someone with extreme optimization skills could help me out, but I dont think that is going to happen.
Current Scripts:

Current Demos:

(Script Demos are all still available in the Collection link above.  I lost some individual demos due to a server crash.)

KK20

I could probably take a look at some of the scripts and see how your general performances are.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

LiTTleDRAgo

Heretic86

Current Scripts:

Current Demos: