Net Neutrality Protest

Started by Blizzard, September 05, 2014, 02:50:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blizzard

September 05, 2014, 02:50:54 am Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 02:52:22 am by Blizzard
Some of you probably heard about the issue of Net Neutrality in the recent weeks and how it probably will affect the Internet and Internet speed if they get rid of it. In a nutshell, ISPs will be able to limit speed for certain websites as they please and increase speed for others. Effectively this cripples the competitiveness of the Internet since a small site such as this one won't be able to pay for high speed like a giant such as Youtube. Sure, they SAY that they won't decrease speed for other websites, but only offer "premium services" for sites that pay, but since when do mega corporations keep their word? Both Google and Facebook are spying the fuck out of us even though they said they never would. Laws exist to enable large groups of humans to coexist and function without too much shit happening. If Net Neutrality is abandoned, we are effectively giving ISPs the power to do whatever they want without consequences and this is counterproductive to both the Internet and our human society as a whole. The bill against Net Neutrality must be stopped.

In any case, CP will join the protest on September 10th. During that whole day a fake loading bar will be displayed. You can find more info here: https://www.battleforthenet.com/sept10th

Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Zexion

Woot, nice blizzard. I've been keeping up with the news and I sign whenever I have to and post it to FB occasionally. Where will the holy loading box be placed?

Blizzard

Somewhere at the top. Possibly under the "news" portion where the ads used to be.

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

PhoenixFire

I see my link caught some attention? =p

Kudos to you for doing it Blizz. I'll be doing it as well on all of the sites I have, though, none of them are large enough to reach an audience the size of CP's reach. Way to raise awareness though :D Did you register with them and add the site to the list of sites participating?
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

Blizzard

Not directly. I signed one of the petitions so they have my mail and keep me up to date with the things that are going on.

Zexion

Blizzard

Alright, it's up. It will show only today and only once per user.

R.A.V.S.O

I tried pressing the link but all it does is open a blank new tab for me D:
Personality Test results
Spoiler: ShowHide

"Life is unfair, so make it unfair in your favor" -Sesilou

Blizzard

September 10, 2014, 10:43:44 am #8 Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 05:08:56 pm by Blizzard
IDK, lol! In any case, there's a link in my first post here.

EDIT: If you haven't watched this video, you should. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU Beside it being hilarious, it explains what's going on.

EDIT: Haha, another video by Collegehumor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjOxNiHUsZw

Blizzard

IDK if I posted this anywhere, but Comcast & Co. has lost and net neutrality prevailed. Some people are taking even further steps to ensure that. http://news.yahoo.com/u-senator-rand-paul-moves-block-net-neutrality-162641719.html
Things are looking good. :)

Spoofus

Hey been awhile y'all. But I been trying to keep up with this, and I am happy that net neutrality prevailed, to me it just seems like the major internet companies want to do what the phone companies do with the internet for their phone services.

You get a set amount of data and bandwidth for a basic plan, that ain't worth a crap, unless you pay an entire paychecks worth(amount may vary)  to get the kind of service you actually want or need to keep your website running at decent speeds.

My Blog site I am working on: http://spoofus.weebly.com/