Started by sekiraze, April 09, 2015, 10:47:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sekiraze

April 09, 2015, 10:47:55 am Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:49:48 am by sekiraze
Simple question:

What is better?
Faster?
What has better resources?

I am Asking because I finally have the real time to continue making my game. There are dozens of scripts here and spread all over the internet (but nothing beats the chaos, duh).

The question is: What should I use? I used to use RMXP, because I grew up with it and I totally ignored VX and ACE, since I love XP - Now checking what is possible and what I need, I will definatelly have to use a Tool, that let's me create a Good and Big Game.

DOes one of those feature Custom Resolution besides XP?
Does one of those feature an Isometric Map system, or even isometric Battlesystem ala FF Tactics?

I would just like to know what you guys think :)

seki <3

PS: I know have not been on for quite a long time, but I am back here because you guys defintasknay rock <3

KK20

XP

• Oldest, thus has the most resources (graphics and scripts)

• Slowest of the three, but not detrimental enough to discourage game making

• You'll get the most support for it on this forum (like from me)

• Three layer mapping, which is lost in the the other versions

VX

• The middle, awkward child of the three

• Can't recall if it uses the same version of Ruby as XP, but the RGSS is still different

• Pretty sure everyone has moved onto VXAce now as the two share very similar styles

VXA

• Most recent version and fastest RGSS (Ruby 1.9 vs 1.8 )

• Since it is the most "hip" version, other RPG Maker sites will offer support for it. Here, you won't be as lucky.

• RTP graphics are disgusting unless you don't mind square, chibi characters and blocky tilesets.

• Lots of the XP add-on scripts are actually built into the editor, which is nice for n00bs

• Learn to parallax map or you will never have a professional looking game (tileset limitations suck)

XPA

• Community-based Frankenstein creation of XP and VXA together

• All the perks of XP combined with the speed of VXA

• Can't sell your game (still up for discussion)

• You probably will only get support for it here

All engines have a custom resolution script. VXA even has a Graphics.resize_screen(w, h) method but only supports up to 640x480 (without using this one hack that can break that limit--one is against EULA, the other is essentially a script using Assembly which I think is okay).

GubiD made a Tactical Battle System that supports isometric maps for XP. Can't recall if there is one for VXA, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Other Projects
RPG Maker XP Ace  Upgrade RMXP to RMVXA performance!
XPA Tilemap  Tilemap rewrite with many features, including custom resolution!

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: 8310-1917-5318
Discord: KK20 Tyler#8901

Join the CP Discord Server!

sekiraze

Quote from: KK20 on April 09, 2015, 11:47:45 am
XP

• Oldest, thus has the most resources (graphics and scripts)

• Slowest of the three, but not detrimental enough to discourage game making

• You'll get the most support for it on this forum (like from me)

• Three layer mapping, which is lost in the the other versions

VX

• The middle, awkward child of the three

• Can't recall if it uses the same version of Ruby as XP, but the RGSS is still different

• Pretty sure everyone has moved onto VXAce now as the two share very similar styles

VXA

• Most recent version and fastest RGSS (Ruby 1.9 vs 1.8 )

• Since it is the most "hip" version, other RPG Maker sites will offer support for it. Here, you won't be as lucky.

• RTP graphics are disgusting unless you don't mind square, chibi characters and blocky tilesets.

• Lots of the XP add-on scripts are actually built into the editor, which is nice for n00bs

• Learn to parallax map or you will never have a professional looking game (tileset limitations suck)

XPA

• Community-based Frankenstein creation of XP and VXA together

• All the perks of XP combined with the speed of VXA

• Can't sell your game (still up for discussion)

• You probably will only get support for it here

All engines have a custom resolution script. VXA even has a Graphics.resize_screen(w, h) method but only supports up to 640x480 (without using this one hack that can break that limit--one is against EULA, the other is essentially a script using Assembly which I think is okay).

GubiD made a Tactical Battle System that supports isometric maps for XP. Can't recall if there is one for VXA, but I wouldn't doubt it.

KK20...

syldocaine

April 20, 2015, 06:48:05 am #3 Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:49:46 am by syldocaine
I would recommend you RM XP just because it still offers much more options in form of available scripts and ressources than the others + 3 layer mapping is awsome.
I don't really care about the performance. I run my RM XP game in nearly constant 60 FPS without any lags.

I also recognized that RM XP games are the only ones which have a real Fullscreen Mode (without any black borders around)  :???:

The only thing that could beat RM XP for me is the ARC Project for sure.

PhoenixFire

I would suggest trying out the XPA that we have and see if it works for you; minimal code changes have been reported when converting existing projects, but other than that, it seems to work out well for most people; seeing too that you're on this site, you have basically all the support staff for it available to  you through this forum.

KK20 already pointed out basically all of the important points for the makers though, so I'll simply point to his list and bow out.
Quote from: Subsonic_Noise on July 01, 2011, 02:42:19 amNext off, how to create a first person shooter using microsoft excel.

Quote from: Zeriab on September 09, 2011, 02:58:58 pm<Remember when computers had turbo buttons?

sekiraze

Thank you guys for your input. After kk wrote down the ups and downs of each Software, I went on a Journey to see which Software fits the Best for my project. It is True, that the mapping in XP is superior to vx and vx Ace. It's also damn True that there is about 1000% more Support, Scripts, Sprites and tilesets for XP. Personally, this would make the perfect choice to Start creating a game from scratch. But.
I decided to go with Ace. Why? Because I found all I need so I can create THE experience and game i have in mind. i like the Black boarder fullscreen. I found a tutorial on parallax mapping and also a Script that allowes me to use unlimited layers for mapping. Menus and menu System from moghunter are also avaible for Ace and are far more flexible than the ones for XP. With the yanfly engine ive got Bugfixes for Ace and makes it work efficient. Pracrically, all I need to do now is Design everything, compose music and Sounds, create a Story and I am done. It isnt as easy as it sounds but ace is for me now the Software to use.

Thank you guys anyway :)