Dungeon of Destiny.

Started by Rymdpotatis, August 06, 2008, 04:42:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rymdpotatis

August 06, 2008, 04:42:37 am Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 06:22:05 am by Rymdpotatis
I've been working on a game for around two months called Dungeon of Destiny. It's basically a roguelike.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike (For those that are not familiar with roguelikes)

The general idea of the game is that you are an adventurer who've heard of a town with an interesting quest, you ventured there, get a briefing at the Adventurer's Guildhall by the headmaster. Armed with this information you undertake the quest of ridding the temple of the demon that has built it's nest in it. That nest is a 100 floor dungeon. Divided into 4 areas with 25 dungeons each. The first theme is crypts, then caves, then another variety of the cave, and then Hell. Since I can't get a hold of a script that randomly generates a dungeon I plan on having 4 varieties of each floor that is randomly selected as the player enters.

Early image of a crypt dungeon.

When you begin the game you get to choose your gender and your class whitch consists of male, female. Warrior and Wizard. When you decide upon a class you get to select your appearance, this I plan on having around 10 different clothings for both wizards and warriors. A thing I also plan on adding is sidequests that you can pick up at the guildhall. Different job requests that the villagers have left. A few examples:
A goblin that inhabits dungeon floor 23 has stolen my bag of apples, please retrieve them.
My cat has ran down the dungeon, he should be around dungeon floor 5, please save him.
Now these, like the dungeon floors would be randomly listed at the guild by an event.

What I have done so far:
Character creation system is up and running, graphics are not quite done yet.
1 Dungeon floor, need to put out decorations.
Basic structure of the town.

Blizzard

Get Blizz-ABS v1.99. :P I can tell from your HUD that you're not using it yet. xD
Check out Daygames and our games:

King of Booze 2      King of Booze: Never Ever
Drinking Game for Android      Never have I ever for Android
Drinking Game for iOS      Never have I ever for iOS

Quote from: winkioI do not speak to bricks, either as individuals or in wall form.

Quote from: Barney StinsonWhen I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Vell

thats cool... I might play... maybe...

Rymdpotatis

Didn't know 1.99 had been released, cheers for the heads up!

Starrodkirby86

I love these sort of dungeon games. The arcade style similar to Gauntlet is sort of one exciting adventure, exploring and exploring to reach the next level, wondering what is going to happen next. As suggestions, make sure the dungeons aren't purely boring, as they can be sparse. Don't get the player lost, or too confused, maybe a Mini-Map item can help. Also, make sure you have a pure variety if you're doing this. There should be a plethora of enemies, a wide array of items, you get the picture. You know my approval of this is high. :up:

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!
Still Aqua's biggest fan (Or am I?).

Rymdpotatis

Yeah, I love 'em too, though I dislike some features of roguelikes, that's the main reason I'm making this, I wanna explore vast dungeons without worrying about falling down the stairs, drop my cockatrice corpse that I wield as a weapon and get turned to stone and die. >_>

To prevent the dungeons from becoming boring I will put out ornament things such as coffins, spiderwebs etc.
And yes, I will use a minimap. And don't worry about monster variety, I got around 130 different monsters just waiting to be set loose^^

The main area I've been neglecting is the items. Mostly becouse I find it hard to get a hold of icons since I want every item to have a unique look. I don't want two maces with the same appearance.

Starrodkirby86

Then minor pixel modifications or recolorations would do. I'm sure editing some weapon to make it look spiffier, or maybe Franken-Iconing would make stuff look really interesting. You know what, I just remembered all of your threads...and then this project...it's like I'm taking a trip down memory lane! I'm making sense to why you asked all these questions, heh. xD

What's osu!? It's a rhythm game. Thought I should have a signature with a working rank. ;P It's now clickable!

Rymdpotatis

I have been thinking about editing the standard weapon icons yeah.
Franken-Iconing, that sounds advanced. What is is?^^

Hehe^^'

Starrodkirby86

Franken-Iconing, I kind of coined that phrase up spontaneously, but it's just Frankenspriting. You know, simply getting one parts of an icon or sprite, and merging it into one other sprite to make a completely new icon? It's also known as a mutation. It really works well after merging and then you give it one true shading, then it'll look like something completely new...

Quintinius

Those graphics look pretty nice.. I haven't played it, but it almost looks like you've managed Isometric!

Rymdpotatis

August 06, 2008, 02:36:16 pm #10 Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 04:47:10 pm by Blizzard
Ah, I understand! That's a good tip.^^

Well, fake isometric since you move up and down like usual. Like in Ultima VII

Another screenshot of a house in progress:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Just a reminder, double posts are only allowed within 24 hours. Just edit your post instead of making a new one. ^_^ ~Love, Starrodkirby86
by Blizzard: Another reminder; put your pics in spoiler tags. (~_^)d Have a nice day!

Fantasist

August 07, 2008, 08:43:05 am #11 Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 08:47:02 am by Fantasist
My brain disagrees with the perspective, but otherwise, interesting ^_^
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

The best of freeware reviews: Gizmo's Freeware Reviews

Rymdpotatis

Yeah, it might look a bit strange if you've never seen anything like it before, but personally I absolutely love the style^^

I've been thinking about the randomness of the game. 4 variations of each map will make 400 maps. x_x
Before I continue making the maps I would like to know if RMXP can handle up to 400 maps and if it will cause alot of lag?

Another thing I've been thinking of: Even if there are 400 maps people are bound to learn the patterns and the treasure chest locations of the maps as they play. To prevent boredom by going through the same maps I had an idea: Why not stuff monsters in the chests so that there is a slight chance that something nasty pops up. Ghouls from coffins, goblins from boxes etc, any points of view on that?

Starrodkirby86

RPG Maker XP can fit up to a total of 999 maps. The lag factor isn't really determined from the quantity you have, it determines within the map data itself and how much RMXP has to load...

Give some originality and interactivity. If the game is dungeon crawler like, give the player a lot of freedom like a sandbox game, but don't make it too easy when you grind levels. You can have monsters if you want, but note that sometimes players can get frustrated by monsters appearing in their dire need. It can get cruel and amusing though. :P

Fantasist

August 07, 2008, 01:58:31 pm #14 Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:02:22 pm by Fantasist
You want randomness? Don't forget the random function in Variable Operation event command! It's kind of easy.

Use a variable to store a random number. Whenever you need a random number, you can find the random option in 'Variable Operation' event command. Simply make conditional branches for the possible outcomes of the variables.

So, to transfer to random maps for example, your eventing looks something like this:

@> Variable Operation Variable006 Random b/w 0-3
@>Conditional Branch Variable006 is 0
@>   Transfer to map 1
@> else
@>   Transfer to map 2

Good luck :)
Do you like ambient/electronic music? Then you should promote a talented artist! Help out here. (I'm serious. Just listen to his work at least!)

Rymdpotatis

QuoteRPG Maker XP can fit up to a total of 999 maps. The lag factor isn't really determined from the quantity you have, it determines within the map data itself and how much RMXP has to load...

Give some originality and interactivity. If the game is dungeon crawler like, give the player a lot of freedom like a sandbox game, but don't make it too easy when you grind levels. You can have monsters if you want, but note that sometimes players can get frustrated by monsters appearing in their dire need. It can get cruel and amusing though. Tongue

That's good to hear.

Hm, yes. You are absolutely right, it would not be fun to be killed while being on ones last leg, bashing a crate open and instead of finding that lifesaving potion a Goblin pops out and bonks one on the noggin'. *Crosses that idea*

QuoteYou want randomness? Don't forget the random function in Variable Operation event command! It's kind of easy.

Use a variable to store a random number. Whenever you need a random number, you can find the random option in 'Variable Operation' event command. Simply make conditional branches for the possible outcomes of the variables.

So, to transfer to random maps for example, your eventing looks something like this:

@> Variable Operation Variable006 Random b/w 0-3
@>Conditional Branch Variable006 is 0
@>   Transfer to map 1
@> else
@>   Transfer to map 2

God luck Happy

Cheers for the tip, mate, but I already learned how to work with random maps and items. :haha:

Fantasist

Rymdpotatis

August 19, 2008, 05:41:41 pm #17 Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 06:36:08 pm by Rymdpotatis
 guess it's time to post about my progress.
Basically I have everything done, all the codes are working, I got two levels of the dungeon done that are roamable with random loot and monsters. However I'm not to happy about having 4 pre-set varieties of each dungeon that are randomly chosen so I have decided to take a little pause and search for ways to create randomized dungeons. So it might be quite a while untill I release this game, but something tells me it will definetly be worth the wait.