Github's Atom text editor, needs work, but already rivels Sublime

Started by Ryex, July 28, 2015, 09:13:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryex

A while back I went on a raveing rant about how awesome Sublime was. At the time Sublime was just starting to consider Sublime 3 to be the stable version despite it's beta status and as a whole it flowed and functioned REALLY well. as a text editor it went above and beyond what I had ever seen before even including functionality of an IDE. it had an imminence plugin library through a 3d party plugin manager

as I stared using it I was astounded at how must better my productivity was anmd was able to justify the purchase of a 70$ license dispute the fact that Sublime was merely nagware and i didn't have too.

Yesterday I discovered that Atom had reached version 1.0

Atom is an opensource text editor modeled after Texmate and Sublime fronted by Github. the vast majority of it's functionality is written in Javascript (actually coffeescript, a pre-processor language for Javascript) using a chromium engine and DOM for layout, a ludicrousness idea I thought. when I first looked at it about a year ago it was so slow as to be useless on file bigger than 300 lines.

It has surpassed that limitation in 1.0 esily handling files in excess of 10k lines, admittedly not quite as smoothly as Sublime does, but no longer a hard limitation.

one of Sublime's biggest benefits was that it has a extensions API that allowed some really impressive plugins to be developed, namely the Sublime Linter and Sublime codeintell plugins.

one of Sublime's biggest flaws in that department was that in order to get easy access to plugin installation you had to install the "package control" plugin via a python script copy pasted into Sublime's console.

Atom not only comes with a built in easy to use package manager for it's plugins. it supplies officially maintained linter and codeintell packages with dam near every language having a package for support.

Atom's API also appears to be far more professionally developed with plugins looking more integrated and natural than in sublime, indeed some plugin that were considered impossible or just not done in the Sublime community are available in Atom.

Atom's package manager records existence of 2,394 packages, Siublime's PackageControll records 3,102, that's actually quite comparable especially when I know that a good half of the Sublime plugins only work with Sublime 2 not 3.

I'm not saying I have a new favorite editor again, but I'm doly impressed and will be keeping an eye on it's development, it seems to be progressing rapidly.

https://atom.io
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />

Ryex

UPDATE:
I've actually fully switch to using atom instead of Sublime, we'll see how long this lasts but in just the last few weeks all my holdout issues were fixed.
not only does language linting work flawlessly now, but it's auto complete now rivals VS (provided you have the right static analysis tools installed)

there look to be some heavy plugins for handling project building in the works among other things. I think atom might just become a full fledged IDE for every language at once. basically what Eclipse tried to be.
I no longer keep up with posts in the forum very well. If you have a question or comment, about my work, or in general I welcome PM's. if you make a post in one of my threads and I don't reply with in a day or two feel free to PM me and point it out to me.<br /><br />DropBox, the best free file syncing service there is.<br />